miss while under load WOT.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:53 AM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miss while under load WOT.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. notice at the 30 second mark it throws a flame from the exhaust on the drivers side.

Little history. Pulled last month, and it ran out of power at the end when the sled hit, i had to clutch it or it would have stalled (never did that before) Anyway i put a quick paintjob on it and noticed while moving it around while it was apart with no hood i thought i heard a slight tap. Well it got the best of me and i tore into it wed, acting on my gut instinct. #1 cylinder shaft was flopping around, so it was only lifting about half lift if that. I fixed it thursday and hooked friday eve. The video is the result. It missed pretty much the entire run, and it wasn't the rev limiter. Thinking about it today after getting a little more calm about the issue lol, i remember it doing it off and on the last year or 2. The odd part is last summer when it did it i remember for sure it acting up, because the fellow puller said turn up that rev limiter and i remember checking it and i think it was up and never touched it,and the next pull with no changes it never did it. I'm not the one that usually pulls it so i can't say for sure or not how the tach acts (my girlfriends the driver) but i somewhat remember it looking like that tach was bouncing around while it was sputtering. Anyway here is the vid. See what you guys think before i give my thoughts so i don't suggest anything.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:06 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
If the tach is bouncing when it misses, that might mean it's ignition related.

What kind of ignition are you using?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:33 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Its just a stock ignition. Factory coil, distributor(elect.) and ford ignition box.

I figured with the tach jumping it had to be something going on with the - side of the coil, or a grounding issue.

I started it up yesterday to unload off the trailer and let it run. I jiggled the key, all of the plugs at the duraspark connections, the coil connection and it never coughed at all. I will go over my splice for the tach signal, and the wiring at the coil better this week to make sure nothing is loose in the coil cap, and i will check the tach wiring. I have read that a bad tach can cause the same issue. I also have a set of colder plugs to try out too, that i have had for a while, but i'm pretty sure its not plug/wire/cap/rotor that is causing this. I also pulled the plug from the cylinder that had the rocker shaft issue.

I really never thought about the tach while i was going up the track. I looked at it when it started to sputter thinking why am i on the limiter already and looked at the tach and remember it chattering around.

When i get time to take a look at it. I will post what i find, or what i change and if it does away.

Here is the plug pic. Ignore the oil, thats from the valve cover leaking since it has been on and off a few times, and i also ran it without the cover looking for the rocker problem.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:47 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Just wanted to post an update. I ended up installing a new ignition a procomp 6al2, and their non round coil that i can't remember the part # of. Along with that i put new plugs in since the old were a little hot, and the gaps where high, 3 were over 50's and a few others were in the high 40's. Anyway. The problem is gone.