Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Towing with turbo master wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 AM
xcvbxg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, with the TM you'll get the boost you saw with the red line removed and still have the waste gate function when you snap the throttle closed. As to EGT effect, I don't know. Hopefully someone chimes in with this info. I'm in the same situation and would like to know.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:11 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well -Another update - Have tried adjusting the turbomaster 3 times & it works great when not pulling or towing, but when I pull long/steep hills towing the 5er -it keeps overboosting & defueling. I've got the nut backed almost all the way out(about 2-3 threads left). Called Dieselsite & he said to install an overboost fooler. Anybody else had this problem. I can manually back off on the gas to keep it from overboosting but that was one of the reasons I bought the TM- Because it is adjustable. Any help here appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Old 10-08-2015, 07:30 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, gonna need a boost fooler or tunes that can prevent the over boost code. Strictly Diesel and Riffraff have some nice ones.

https://www.strictlydiesel.com/p-2677-driven-diesel-overboost-annihilator.aspx

http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/ocr-overboost-code-regulator/

Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
I installed the RR boost regulator. Very nice piece per usual from RR. Now with tunes, I'm hitting over 30psi possibly 35psi and I'm not sure why with the TM unadjusted from delivery with the nut pretty much at the very end of the rod. I suppose it's all good with the regulator.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If you want to keep the power when towing get the boost fooler. It will make the TM realize what it's for.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:12 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Sounds like the overboost fooler is the ticket - I just don't understand why I cant get any adjustment out of the TM. Thanks, Bill

Old 10-10-2015, 09:54 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
I'm not sure about the adjust ability either. I would have expected to be able to hold the boost at ~25psi If I want to and that's not happening and, there isn't any more adjustment left to lighten the spring pressure. I guess, as long as there is not a sustained 30+psi, the turbo will be Ok and the RR Map regulator keeps the power going.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
I'm not sure about the adjust ability either. I would have expected to be able to hold the boost at ~25psi If I want to and that's not happening and, there isn't any more adjustment left to lighten the spring pressure. I guess, as long as there is not a sustained 30+psi, the turbo will be Ok and the RR Map regulator keeps the power going.
Are you saying you have tightened the adjusting nut all the way?

Also, have you run a leak detector check? Any air out the CCV tube?

Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
The adj. nut is out all the way meaning the least amount of spring pressure possible. No leaks.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by SRBF150
The adj. nut is out all the way meaning the least amount of spring pressure possible. No leaks.
I'm not following - Are you wanting more boost or less boost ? I'm trying to get less to keep from over boosting.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:29 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Same. Would like keep the boost to 25psi for the sake of the stock turbo. I would love to see 25psi as early as possible and it just stay there. With the new tunes, it's easily exceeding 25psi with no load. As I haven't towed with the new tunes yet, my concern is exceeding 30psi and then needing to back off the throttle or change to a stock tune to stay within 25psi. All this is with the understanding stock turbo even with the 360 bearing should be limited under 30psi to survive-I could be wrong but it's what I've read.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I believe your wrong on the survive part at 25psi. Even banks with all there high priced stuff runs there tubro's with there wheel at 30 psi in there tunes, so I would say it's safe to say you would be alright. But again you need a boost fooler to get there so you don't defuel.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
He brings up a good point though. He should be capable of regulating the boost level as he sees fit by using the adjustment on the TM.

Installing the boost fooler is not going to bring the boost level down as he wants to do in order to keep it at or below ~25. He is comfortable with a certain amount of boost and it seems that the TM wastegate should be able to provide him the appropriate level of boost that he is comfortable with without over boosting causing defueling and possible damage at prolonged periods.

As I understand it, he could simply have not bought the TM wastegate and just capped off the red line and would be getting the same results which is more boost and so much at times the truck is pulling fuel.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:30 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Sous
He brings up a good point though. He should be capable of regulating the boost level as he sees fit by using the adjustment on the TM.

Installing the boost fooler is not going to bring the boost level down as he wants to do in order to keep it at or below ~25. He is comfortable with a certain amount of boost and it seems that the TM wastegate should be able to provide him the appropriate level of boost that he is comfortable with without over boosting causing defueling and possible damage at prolonged periods.

As I understand it, he could simply have not bought the TM wastegate and just capped off the red line and would be getting the same results which is more boost and so much at times the truck is pulling fuel.
That's what I was saying - The whole point was the adjustability of the TM for me while towing - I did not want to have to buy something else to keep my boost below the 23-24 defuel point, which leads me to believe that the adjustment spring or something is not right or they had a defective batch of these. I didn't want to make 30 #s of boost & have to fool the pcm with another gizmo. Just saying. The part doesn't work as advertised. Wonder about cutting off a little length of the spring coil might help. I'm gonna call them Monday & see about this as an option.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:54 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
That's what I was saying - The whole point was the adjustability of the TM for me while towing - I did not want to have to buy something else to keep my boost below the 23-24 defuel point, which leads me to believe that the adjustment spring or something is not right or they had a defective batch of these. I didn't want to make 30 #s of boost & have to fool the pcm with another gizmo. Just saying. The part doesn't work as advertised. Wonder about cutting off a little length of the spring coil might help. I'm gonna call them Monday & see about this as an option.
Keep us posted about what they say and if you can rectify the problem. I too have the TM wastegate on my list of things to do, but may reconsider if you cannot find a suitable solution.

I have been a customer of Diesel Site in more than a couple of occasions. Although the first products were great and as described, I have found the latest to be not what was described on the site. I had been in contact with technical support and they offered some advice, but the issue was not resolved. I chalked it up to "oh well, ****** happens" because the cost to return the now used product would be about the original cost.

I still plan to be a customer of Diesel Site in the future, but will certainly do more research from here on out first.

Keep us posted on what you find out and are told.

Quick Reply: Towing with turbo master wastegate