Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Towing with turbo master wastegate

Old 07-20-2015, 05:59 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing with turbo master wastegate

Hey all- Anybody notice any pros or cons when towing with the turbo master wastegate. I have stock tuning & can get about 15-16 lbs. boost. With the red hose to old stock wastegate removed & plugged I can get about 22 lbs. These numbers are not towing. Sure has a lot more power & quicker spoolup. So I am thinking about replacing with TM.- Will this affect my pyro temps adversely when towing? Appreciate any comments.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:27 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really think the TM wastegate would really be worth the money if you're running stock injectors and tuning. (I don't see anything about injectors in your sig) I have the TM wastegate and I can keep my EGT's around the 7-800 range running around 25 PSI with stage II injectors while towing. The most I've hit towing was 1000 degrees.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, with the TM you'll get the boost you saw with the red line removed and still have the waste gate function when you snap the throttle closed. As to EGT effect, I don't know. Hopefully someone chimes in with this info. I'm in the same situation and would like to know.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:16 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by greg_8507
...I have the TM wastegate and I can keep my EGT's around the 7-800 range running around 25 PSI with stage II injectors while towing. The most I've hit towing was 1000 degrees.
Where is your EGT sensor located?

Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Hey all- Anybody notice any pros or cons when towing with the turbo master wastegate. I have stock tuning & can get about 15-16 lbs. boost. With the red hose to old stock wastegate removed & plugged I can get about 22 lbs. These numbers are not towing. Sure has a lot more power & quicker spoolup. So I am thinking about replacing with TM.- Will this affect my pyro temps adversely when towing? Appreciate any comments.
Shouldn't be bad if you are running stock tuning. Besides, without a boost fooler you won't go over 22 psi, it's above 25 when the stock turbo starts moving out of its efficiency map.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Edit: heck it might actually turn out to be better since it is more precise than the stock canister design and won't allow the wastegate to open early and loose that mid range performance.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Thanks guys- I guess its better to have the TM in there than to just leave the redline plugged ?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:30 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks guys- I guess its better to have the TM in there than to just leave the redline plugged ?
Technically yes, that way u can mechanically limit the boost to 25 psi - keep the turbo from over boosting and the drive pressure in check.

But without a chip/tuner your gonna max out at 22 anyway.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:44 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Where is your EGT sensor located?
On the exhaust manifold just before the up pipe. I guess I should also add that it is all flat where I'm at so It's pretty easy to keep EGT's at bay.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:02 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Well I got a TM on order - I'll post back after its in & I tow to let you know how she does. Might be a couple weeks b4 I tow with it. I would be very happy with 22 max boost. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Sweet! Make sure to update the thread in the fall!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Edit: heck it might actually turn out to be better since it is more precise than the stock canister design and won't allow the wastegate to open early and loose that mid range performance.
That is exactly what I found to be the benefit of running the TM w.g. over the stock w.g. was GREAT mid range performance. The TM does not dump the boost running down the highway when towing and you come up on a slower car and then having to put your foot back into it. With the stock w.g. with red line off the spring in the canister wasn't strong enough to keep from bleeding off boost.
I am very pleased with the TM when towing !!

Oh I am running stock injectors (AB) and stock tunes with a 1.0 turbine, WW and TM and when towing I can get 22psi with 10k behind truck. With my boat 8.5k I get 20psi and driving at highway speeds it is a major improvement over stock. I have mine set to start to open about 21-23psi.

The Turbo Master is more like a dump valve than a waste gate due it's design. But the factory w.g. is more refined of a system and puts less stress on the turbo shaft. I have found in my research from measuring the turbo shafts on turbos that ran a T.M. set at 25-30psi that there was more wear and more stress on the shaft compared to a stock w.g. set up. Like it was said earlier just don't push a stock GTP38 because at 25psi and higher you asking too much out of the poor stock turbo.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:58 PM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How did you guys come to setting your TM spring tension? Do you see any different boost daily driving vs. Towing?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
That is exactly what I found to be the benefit of running the TM w.g. over the stock w.g. was GREAT mid range performance. The TM does not dump the boost running down the highway when towing and you come up on a slower car and then having to put your foot back into it. With the stock w.g. with red line off the spring in the canister wasn't strong enough to keep from bleeding off boost.
I am very pleased with the TM when towing !!
Good to hear Bad dog - Cant wait to get it & tow with it now.

Oh I am running stock injectors (AB) and stock tunes with a 1.0 turbine, WW and TM and when towing I can get 22psi with 10k behind truck. With my boat 8.5k I get 20psi and driving at highway speeds it is a major improvement over stock. I have mine set to start to open about 21-23psi.

The Turbo Master is more like a dump valve than a waste gate due it's design. But the factory w.g. is more refined of a system and puts less stress on the turbo shaft. I have found in my research from measuring the turbo shafts on turbos that ran a T.M. set at 25-30psi that there was more wear and more stress on the shaft compared to a stock w.g. set up. Like it was said earlier just don't push a stock GTP38 because at 25psi and higher you asking too much out of the poor stock turbo.
I will probably do just like u said & set around 21 -22 & not worry about it overboosting & defueling. Thanks

Old 07-22-2015, 04:27 PM
greg_8507
Elder User
Originally Posted by DND58
How did you guys come to setting your TM spring tension? Do you see any different boost daily driving vs. Towing?
When I first put mine in I went with the "preliminary" adjustment as per the instructions. Then tried to adjust it by how it drove, since I didn't have a boost gauge. Later I got AE and used that to bring it down from somewhere over 35 down to 25.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with turbo master wastegate