2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2004 FX4 5.4 has the infamous tick noise :'(

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Hoosiergirl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2004 FX4 5.4 has the infamous tick noise :'(

Hello all.

My old boy, Blue (my truck: 2004 FX4 5.4 w/157k miles) has always had a tick noise even when we rolled it off the showroom floor brand new in 2004. But now it is older and the "tick" noise has become more pronounced. Last summer I had Cam Phasers/solenoids replaced....still ticks and btw...(Bob Schwartz Ford in Peru, IN have terrible service and over charged me $800). This past spring I took old Blue to Brad Howell Ford and they seem like they have a good handle on this issue. They ran all sorts of tests: Compression, Oil, etc and they all came back perfect. No engine probs but they all can hear the notorious tick. They have suggested to just let it be because it's not causing any problems and especially since it has ticked loudly for tens of thousands of miles. They think they have it narrowed down to 1-2 lifters on one side but they feel that I should leave it alone since it's performing perfect. They also put Lucas Oil stuff in every oil change from here on out...just in case. I'm picky and I don't like the way my truck sounds. It sounds like a ticking bomb when I'm waiting in the fast food drive through!

What would all you boys do if this was your truck?

Old 07-17-2015, 11:50 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
If it sounds like the sound of lifters, and you can isolate it to certain cylinders, do not just let it go. I had the exact same symptoms on my '07. Ticking, like a collapsed lifter, with a stethoscope isolated to 2 cylinders. And like your truck, performance was about the same, and no check engine lights or any other signs, except for the tick. Turns out the rollers on 2 cam followers failed, so instead of rolling along on the cam lobe they were scoring the lobes. Long story short, I had to replace the cam, and the bad followers. Everything else was fine, luckily no other damage. I would look into fixing the problem asap. Metal on metal, grinding away in the engine is not good.
FYI, the repair is kind of easy, and with the tools and parts, cost was around $500. Only way to check for sure is to pull the valve cover.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:50 AM
srb1194
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My answer would depend on how much longer you plan to keep the truck. I do agree that metal on metal is a bad thing and if your problem is similar to Gary's then I would try to find where the noise is coming from and repair it. If it has ticked since day one I probably would have never bought the truck to begin with. But then again maybe it was a very quiet tick. If you plan to keep it for awhile longer I would repair it if possible. I'm sure you know that this can get expensive depending on what it is. Best of luck.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 PM
wardmotor
New User
Oil

I read using 15w40 for 1 oil change cycle will silence her down

Old 04-26-2016, 06:33 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wardmotor
I read using 15w40 for 1 oil change cycle will silence her down
If so, that makes me think tensioners.....

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosiergirl
Hello all.

My old boy, Blue (my truck: 2004 FX4 5.4 w/157k miles) has always had a tick noise even when we rolled it off the showroom floor brand new in 2004. But now it is older and the "tick" noise has become more pronounced. Last summer I had Cam Phasers/solenoids replaced....still ticks and btw...(Bob Schwartz Ford in Peru, IN have terrible service and over charged me $800). This past spring I took old Blue to Brad Howell Ford and they seem like they have a good handle on this issue. They ran all sorts of tests: Compression, Oil, etc and they all came back perfect. No engine probs but they all can hear the notorious tick. They have suggested to just let it be because it's not causing any problems and especially since it has ticked loudly for tens of thousands of miles. They think they have it narrowed down to 1-2 lifters on one side but they feel that I should leave it alone since it's performing perfect. They also put Lucas Oil stuff in every oil change from here on out...just in case. I'm picky and I don't like the way my truck sounds. It sounds like a ticking bomb when I'm waiting in the fast food drive through!

No reputable Ford dealership would recommend oil additives to quiet an engine.
Even the mechanically challenged can use an engine stethoscope to identify the area a noise is originating. If the sound is coming from the valve cover, then it probably is a sticking valve or bad follower, or similar. If it's coming from the front of the engine, then you have other problems that bear investigation.
Whatever is causing the sound is not going to be fixed by adding magic in a bottle. They are attempting to treat a symptom, not cure a problem.

EDIT: I can't believe I got suckered into responding to a nine month old post!

Old 05-07-2016, 02:14 AM
FordStolz68
Junior User
I've always used 10/30 or 10/40 syn or Simi syn.. 130K and '06 Screw 4x4 5.4 running great... knock on wood.
Stupid vacuum hubs are my only issue. Wish I convert them to manual.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM
Stone F-150
New User
My ticking noise is coming from the fuel injectors on the drivers side bank.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 AM
MJservices
New User
Hello all.

If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it...

But hours of reading these reviews reveal two things:
1) put a stethoscope to it, check 1 and 2.
2) check the manifold, sounds like a gasket could be your problem when the cam phasers, Etc. have been taken care of.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Hoosiergirl
New User
@MJservices....

I found a mechanic who works out of his garage after his day job at a Ford Dealer. He found the problem. All but 4 lifters were broken or stuck. I had all lifters replaced. Running perfect and not using any oil now.

I just put in a remanufactured transmission in this summer as I lost my reverse and overdrive gear.

Been an expensive truck but oh well. it beats having a truck payment!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:14 PM
Stone F-150
New User
Yup it may be a lifter too. When I put a pvc pipe up to the Cylinder # 8 fuel injector, and listen, it is really loud. when I get time to investigate and make sure I wont cause any other problems, I will disconnect power to that injector and see if tick goes away.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:47 AM
daddy-0 68
New User
ticking noise

@MJservices....

I found a mechanic who works out of his garage after his day job at a Ford Dealer. He found the problem. All but 4 lifters were broken or stuck. I had all lifters replaced. Running perfect and not using any oil now.

I just put in a remanufactured transmission in this summer as I lost my reverse and overdrive gear.

Been an expensive truck but oh well. it beats having a truck payment!
Did the noise go away?
My 04 FX4 started making the noise around 40k and has now turned into a marching band. It also makes a very clattery sound at start up and it lasts only a few seconds until the idle settles down. It's an exciting event every time. I have 161k on it now. Any thoughts? I'm getting all the info I can in order to take it to a shop for repairs. I love this truck BTW!

Old 02-28-2017, 10:09 PM
hbaum
New User
Originally Posted by daddy-0 68
Did the noise go away?
My 04 FX4 started making the noise around 40k and has now turned into a marching band. It also makes a very clattery sound at start up and it lasts only a few seconds until the idle settles down. It's an exciting event every time. I have 161k on it now. Any thoughts? I'm getting all the info I can in order to take it to a shop for repairs. I love this truck BTW!
Can I ask what the concensus was with your issue? My 04 Lariat has the exact same symptoms as yours. If you were able to figure out what it was it would be great to have that knowledge when I take mine to the mechanic. Thanks a lot!