Sponsored by: Moser

Wheel damage

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 05:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Wheel damage

A week after having my BFG Rugged Terrains mounted I noticed that each wheel had a small gouge in it. I had the work on May the 8th at BJ's.

I was bending down to get the DOT codes so I could register the tires and check individual pressures when I noticed this, a small gouge on each.

A couple years ago my Ford dealer gouged a wheel when breaking down a tire to repair a leak. After I raised hell, the dealer replaced my wheel with a gently used one from a truck on the used car lot. I was satisfied with that.

I filed a claim with BJ's customer service, followed all the instructions given to me, took pics, etc. Their customer service department was great to deal with but they had to kick this up to risk management most likely due to the damage and or cost to make it right.

I spoke with the same fella in risk management twice, he was trying line me up with an alloy wheel repair guy, that never happened. He was going to have this guy fix the wheels if possible and rent me a car for the day while my truck was at the shop.

So Friday came and customer service reached out to me again. They were quite upset that this case was still open after nearly six weeks. The fella from risk management called me promptly and asked me for a price to replace the wheels.

I founds the wheels on Fordparts.com for $265 each. I've been issued a check to replace all four.

Funny thing is, when I was truck shopping, I avoided trucks with the chrome package because of the issues that I've read about with the chrome cladding getting damaged during tire service. So here I am with the cheap XLT wheels and I've had five wheels damaged.

Admittedly the damage is quite small and in all five cases you had to be right up on the wheel to notice.

I'm satisfied with the steps that BJ's took to make this right. This recent purchase was the fourth set of tires that I've bought from them and the first issue.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:34 AM
TrueBlue02
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will always stick with a shop that will step up and correct any mistakes that they make. Glad it worked out for you.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:33 PM
paredneck33
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Tim sorry for your luck with those wheels. However I think you did the right thing bringing the issue to the companies attention. It gave them a chance to earn back the business that they could have potentially lost. And they did what was needed to resolve the issue. I'd go so far as to say that 9 times out of 10 when wheels get damaged during servicing. It's due to human error. Like guys being in too much of a hurry and not paying full attention to what they are doing. Being a collision tech. it pains me to admit that way to often guys have the mentality of "well it's NOT my car so who cares". I never think that. I always treat my customers cars NO matter what they drive as if it were mine. The result is I very rarely ever get a come back complaint. In fact I get more customers requesting that I fix their vehicles the next time they have an issue. One thing that keeps me doing this, is I believe that for every 1 customer that you satisfy you'll gain at least 10 more. But for every 1 that you disappoint you'll lose at least 20 more. And your post about your situation is proof of that being the case. Who knows how many people on here will read your post about your situation that also live near your area and will remember that company and what you had to say about them. Sorry for the long reply of my $0.02. But I really am glad they did right by you and you sharing your experience.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear they made it right Big Tim. Did they take the old wheels? You could sell them if not

Old 06-28-2015, 08:33 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Good to hear they made it right Big Tim. Did they take the old wheels? You could sell them if not
Well, I paid for my tires with a credit card. I'll pay off the CC and have some cash left. I'm not changing the wheels, however, had BJ's bought the wheels and told me to meet them at the shop for a change out than I would have been just as pleased.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:40 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
i was hoping to buy some "scratch and dent" xlt wheels ....

dag-nabbit!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Tim sorry for your luck with those wheels. However I think you did the right thing bringing the issue to the companies attention. It gave them a chance to earn back the business that they could have potentially lost. And they did what was needed to resolve the issue. I'd go so far as to say that 9 times out of 10 when wheels get damaged during servicing. It's due to human error. Like guys being in too much of a hurry and not paying full attention to what they are doing. Being a collision tech. it pains me to admit that way to often guys have the mentality of "well it's NOT my car so who cares". I never think that. I always treat my customers cars NO matter what they drive as if it were mine. The result is I very rarely ever get a come back complaint. In fact I get more customers requesting that I fix their vehicles the next time they have an issue. One thing that keeps me doing this, is I believe that for every 1 customer that you satisfy you'll gain at least 10 more. But for every 1 that you disappoint you'll lose at least 20 more. And your post about your situation is proof of that being the case. Who knows how many people on here will read your post about your situation that also live near your area and will remember that company and what you had to say about them. Sorry for the long reply of my $0.02. But I really am glad they did right by you and you sharing your experience.
I had a similar experience with a large local chain tire discounter, it did not end as well for me, will never shop there again, they did not make it right, trouble is, when these kids working on your car see what these cars and trucks cost, they see themselves as never being able to afford these things, thus it is just a low paying job that they have no pride in and don't care about the quality required to keep customers happy. Glad it worked out for Tim! The damage that I find unacceptable are rim edge damage and damage from the lug socket bouncing off the center of the wheel at several hundred rpm no longer connected to the impact gun, these kids are paid by the hour, they are techs, not sales, so even in my 50's I rotate my own tires, major PIA!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:41 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Tim sorry to hear about your issues with the scratches. I would be very upset as well...and I am glad they stepped up and made it right. Sounds like great customer support.