Old 06-19-2015, 09:04 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Dilemma 'Ford Van'

Hello all,
2004 Ford E350 extended van with a 5.4

Dilemma is,
I recently had a alarm/remote start installed in the van (excalibur rs-360-edp). I know i know, its a cheapo system i suspect. I thought it would have been a viper or something but in their defense, i didn't ask before installation.
My only issue is when i use the pit stop feature from run (turning the ignition off and removing key while engine is still running), the stereo shuts off and then turns back on after about 10 seconds. Its an aftermarket pioneer 4000nex stereo with some boot time so its kind of annoying. The stereo shop said there's nothing that can be done. Now heres where it gets weird, when you activate the pit stop feature, if you cycle the ignition off really super fast, most of the time the stereo wont shut off. Does this sound like a ford issue or the alarm itself? Any suggestions on a fix to keep the stereo from resetting off/on?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Adding aftermarket electrical devices without better knowledge how they're integrated or intended to work with other devices leads to this sort of thing.

I can't speak specifically to your situation but I'll hazard a guess and say the alarm/remote start installation is at fault. FWIW most car alarms are all built by the same outfit, just different branding, names and maybe claimed programmable features, still pretty much the same.

I'd research Excaliber's site for downloadable installation directions including wiring schematics and work from there. I don't know what a "pit stop mode" is but it shouldn't affect your head unit. Just my WAG so don't take that as anything else.

BTW I've installed a few of my own CrimeGuard 350i5 alarms, have made a few mistakes my own self.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
I'd research Excaliber's site for downloadable installation directions including wiring schematics and work from there. I don't know what a "pit stop mode" is but it shouldn't affect your head unit. Just my WAG so don't take that as anything else.
"pit stop" mode as they call it is,
"This feature allows you to leave your engine running for making quick errands. To use this feature, have the engine running normally from the ignition switch and your foot off the brake pedal. Press the Valet Switch twice; the parking lights will flash. Turn the key off/remove and the engine will remain running for the programmed run time."
I have remote start on all vehicles that i own and they all have this very same feature. I'm sure all if not most remote starts have the "pit-stop" mode but the terminology for it might differ. I have multiple vehicles with a single car driveway so when i need to rotate the vehicles i always use this feature. Yes all keys are on 1 key chain. I dont like carrying around 4 different keychains. Another thing, i have a 4 cam surveillance dvr on a dedicated line using the switched 12v stereo power as a relay trigger for the dvr. So every time i use this pit stop feature, not only does the stereo reboot but so does the dvr which takes about 60 seconds to reboot. I know the dvr is a simple fix to just switch relay triggers to something else but the stereo is just a pain in the neck constantly rebooting. I know certain things like wipers wont work when the remote start is activated so maybe its doing the same thing for the stereo.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Most likely, the remote start has at least one wire in the wrong place or isn't otherwise connected correctly. That would be its output that keeps the stereo circuit powered when the pit stop mode is activated.

Without the installation instructions AND the exact connections that the installer made, it's impossible to remotely troubleshoot. I'd recommend returning to that shop and have them look closer at the connections.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Most likely, the remote start has at least one wire in the wrong place or isn't otherwise connected correctly. That would be its output that keeps the stereo circuit powered when the pit stop mode is activated.

Without the installation instructions AND the exact connections that the installer made, it's impossible to remotely troubleshoot. I'd recommend returning to that shop and have them look closer at the connections.
Called the manufactuer and they blamed the shop. The shop is blaming the Ford ignition system wiring. Being that its aftermarket equipment, im not going back to make a big fuss with them just to get nowhere. I already had a feeling that i was on my own on this one.

However, today under further investigation i realized that if i open the door before cycling the ignition off during the pit stop, the stereo power will not turn off. I tried it about 10x successfully. So i suppose there's my answer.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:33 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey_23_ny1
The shop is blaming the Ford ignition system wiring.
That struck me as funny----like Ford incorrectly designed their ignition system so it won't work with aftermarket stuff!

Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 PM
Mikey_23_ny1
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
That struck me as funny----like Ford incorrectly designed their ignition system so it won't work with aftermarket stuff!
lol I know... These guys would make great politicians.