Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Does an Android EGT gauge exist?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:33 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does an Android EGT gauge exist?

I'm running Torque Pro and like the idea of software gauges.

I'm going to install dual EGT gauges in the exhaust manifolds and would really like some kind of software gauge.

I don't think there's any way to hook into torque pro, but I'm thinking there may be some other product out there. Has anyone seen anything?

Here's a list of interesting finds:

Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
All it takes is a device that converts one or more 0-5 volt signals to digital, then have a network interface - be it LAN, WiFi, BT, or even USB. There are a gajillion of these for industrial and laboratory applications, but I haven't looked for an inexpensive consumer-grade unit. I guess the best search strings would be "5 volt a/d converter" and something to do with a network, like WiFi and Bluetooth. You might even find "wireless automotive gauges".

Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Those search term suggestions helped. I'll edit the first post with interesting finds.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
This looks really interesting.

PLX Kiwi 2 Bluetooth adapter : $69
Bluetooth adapter, should work with Torque Pro

PLX Kiwi 2 iMFD Adapter : $49.99
Adapter for additional devices - needed if you want to interface to more that one eternal device

PLX - EGT Sensor Module $99 each. This is the probe as well as a box to hook to the probe to convert data.

Then in theory it can integrate with Torque and gauges, sensors, alarms and logging should all work just as they do with OBDII.

There is some question right now as to whether logging works. I've asked on the torque forum if that has been resolved.

Does anyone have experience with PLX sensors, OBDII adapters, etc?

Here's what I found so far:

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
I tried the PLX gauges a few years ago on a gasser. It was really a mess. ODBII gauges were hinky and unstable

I spent 2 days messing around and contacting them before buying a cheap bluetooth ELM that worked perfectly the first time with torque free and pro and made the switch. I returned the gauges. DM-200, IIRC. (To be clear, I was trying to use them standalone, not with Torque)

I like the idea of their products, but have been gunshy of them since. Then there is the whole "Legion" naming thing that makes me steer clear, too
Originally Posted by Elk Addict
Has anyone tried the PLX KIWI 2 with torque? Super disappointed that it causes my truck to stall. Hoping there is a work-around: I tried deleting all added PIDs and reloaded app, but no matter what it causes engine stalls (on all my Android devicess). Shame, bringing my EGT in as an analog input is cool, but can't live with the stalls. Dashcommand works ok, but I am not a fan of the limited PIDs.

Originally Posted by brian42
Torque Pro works great. The weak link is how cheap you want to go on the OBDII Bluetooth adapter. Cheap ones have terrible bandwidth and do not transmit fast enough or have terrible connectivity. I did not buy the PLX Kiwi "computer" version but I did buy the PLX KIWI OBDII Bluetooth transmitter a couple of years ago and it's been a champ. I think they're on the KIWI 2 now. I spent just under $100 back in the day for it (on Amazon). Top price when this boom started but it's been well worth the investment. I have an old cell phone (nothing as cool as Tugly) mounted on my windshield and 7 pages of meters, gages and information at the flick of a finger. I would hazard that I've got 40+ indications active (about 7 or 8 on some individual pages) and they respond smoothly without a jump or hiccup. The Torque Pro app is a steal at $5 considering what it can do. At any one time I've probably got about $1000 worth of gages to look at. As long as you get a good OBDII Bluetooth you won't be disappointed.

Just my .02
Originally Posted by AIbandit
Most of the cheap 20-30$ ones you can get for 7$ directly from china at aliexpress.com (1month shipping)
I ordered one from amazon and it caused a crank no start in my truck and chrysler 300. I decided not to screw around anymore and picked up the PLX Kiwi (90$). I don't know about it's bitrate but it's never had issues for me.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
I went with the OBDLink MX. The quality in the construction alone is very telling to me. When I was researching this, I found a ton of support online and by phone. The software that comes with it is very respectable, but I like Torque Pro over everything I tried, and I tried most of the "legitimate" OBDII apps.

The website for Scantool [LINK] lists the protocol for our trucks (J1850 PWM) right on their specs for the OBDLink MX, and you can order a Ford Enhanced bundle with their Scan XL software.

As for an A/D converter and interface, I don't know what to say on that without digging in. I can say I have a clean dash with just three gauge faces and Torque Pro collecting what it's good at. I have some homework to do the next few hours I'm awake and not at work, but I might be able to squeeze this into my list.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I've been giving this some thought, and I see some real problems. If the Kiwi system is reliable, this could work. If not, then we are all trapped by the nature of portable devices - they don't multitask like a PC. You can't use Torque to display OBDII gauges, then another app to display EGTs and fuel pressure simultaneously.

The only other solution I can think of is to have a background app monitor the a/d converter outputs with alarm function only (EGTs too high or fuel pressure too low) and an OBDII gauge to watch the other data live.

This is one of those cases where Infinity would exceed the capabilities of most other options.

More homework is needed, but this is what I have so far.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:36 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Tugly
I've been giving this some thought, and I see some real problems. If the Kiwi system is reliable, this could work. If not, then we are all trapped by the nature of portable devices - they don't multitask like a PC. You can't use Torque to display OBDII gauges, then another app to display EGTs and fuel pressure simultaneously.
Yes, I realized that this problem may exists. I send PLX an email saying that I need it all to work well and be stable when used with a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke and Torque - without getting stuck between 2 vendors pointing fingers to each other. Then I asked about their return policy if it doesn't meet my needs. No response yet...
The only other solution I can think of is to have a background app monitor the a/d converter outputs with alarm function only (EGTs too high or fuel pressure too low) and an OBDII gauge to watch the other data live.
Another would be to run the pyro gauges on a phone but you still loose the single log file with everything in sync.

This is one of those cases where Infinity would exceed the capabilities of most other options.
Infinity is a tuner right - or do they have some kind of monitoring offering.

[edit]
You mean this:

http://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-powerst...c-tools-1.html

Looks good, but a little too pricy for me.

[/edit]
More homework is needed, but this is what I have so far.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by tjmike
I send PLX an email saying that I need it all to work well and be stable when used with a 7.3 Ford Powerstroke and Torque - without getting stuck between 2 vendors pointing fingers to each other. Then I asked about their return policy if it doesn't meet my needs. No response yet...
Still no response from the PLX folks. I have to assume they won't stand behind the product in this application. At the very least it shows a distinct lack of support. There's also no phone number to call for support.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:14 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you try this number? 408 745 7591

When I had trouble, they were responsive and even helpful. Just didn't have the product stability at the time.

Since we don't have a true OBDII system, you likely won't find much love in the way of support from mainstream products ;(

Old 06-23-2015, 11:00 AM
tjmike
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
Did you try this number? 408 745 7591
Ha - thanks - now I see it's right at the bottom of the home page. Of course, I only looked at the contact page.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:25 PM
tjmike
More Turbo
I went with the OBDLink MX.
This is what I have now. I think it's a great product. Stable/fast and you know they put some effort into the hardware with the auto sleep and wake functions.

I ended up talking with the PLX folks. They said it will work and if I have problems they will work with me to resolve them. They said if we cannot get it to work that I can return the parts if they are in like new condition. I was still chicken to fork over the money for all the pieces at once, so decided to order the OBD part first. I'll run that in the truck for a while with Torque. If it seems good, I'll order one or both egt gauges.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
That's a sound plan. In addition, since you already have the MX as a reference to compare for performance/reliability - much can be learned here. I don't recall anybody trying anything else after getting the MX.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I only looked at the contact page.
Now why would you expect to find a way to CONTACT them on the "Contact" page LOL.

I'm watching, too, to see how you make out. Please keep us informed

Old 06-26-2015, 02:03 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
PLX Kiwi 2 Bluetooth adapter : $69
Bluetooth adapter, should work with Torque Pro
I have the PLX Kiwi (the one before the Kiwi 2) and it's been running like a champ for two years and counting (got it for about $90 on Amazon "back in the day"). No delays or issues and I'm running 7 pages of gages on my Torque Pro and upwards of 8 gages per page and the needles/numbers sweep fast and smooth.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:43 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just to stir the Pot......I bought the BAFX obd BT unit, and I'm finding it Very stable with Torque Pro and a cheap 8" Tablet....Haven't tried any serious gyrations with it yet.

Quick Reply: Does an Android EGT gauge exist?