Front Leaf Spring Installation help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:38 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front Leaf Spring Installation help

Hey Folks,
I'm familiar with how this job is suppose to get done (in theory) but have never done a leaf springs job. I'm looking for some additional tips/tricks or what-not-to-do's. I just got my new front leafs and I plan on starting the installation today; assuming I can get the bolts loose.

f250 4x4 front end. leafs are oem type replacement.

Any suggestions/input is much appreciated.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Better have a torch handy and funding to replace those stupid hangers that go up inside the frame rail. Chances are the bushings up inside the frame rail are toast and you'll probably have to cut the hanger out. Also when ya go back together with the new stuff ANTI SIEZE EVERYTHING.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Believe it or not I did not need a torch (yet). Every bolt with the exception of the u-bolts, broke free with a little elbow grease and a 3-second pre-soak of PBblaster.

I was able to get one side almost done yesterday. One new spring is in but I'm having a heck of a time getting the axl lined back up with the alignment pin on the spring and the shadow mask of the u-bolts.
I'm thinking because I only have the truck jacked up on one side (I don't have a lift) it's canting the frame-rail and I can't get the two to be perpendicular. I'll try again this afternoon hopefully.

On a side note, there was a 1 degree leveling/alignment shim between the bottom of the spring and the axl. Should I keep this or let the alignment shop put a new one in?

Thanks

Old 06-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Probably too late to reply since you're most likely finished by now but if it were mine I'd put that shim back in. But not a big deal either way. Not all alignment shops are created equal when it comes to F250 front axles and for some of them you have to micro manage them to make sure they do a good job and don't just set the toe-in and call it an alignment.

Bob

Old 06-17-2015, 09:57 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Bob_T
Probably too late to reply since you're most likely finished by now but if it were mine I'd put that shim back in. But not a big deal either way. Not all alignment shops are created equal when it comes to F250 front axles and for some of them you have to micro manage them to make sure they do a good job and don't just set the toe-in and call it an alignment.

Bob
Thanks, I actually will put it back in and micromanage. The last guy who did my alignment botched it (I think). My brand new tires barely got 10,000 miles on them and are completely chewed up on the outter edges. I know it could be a lot of things but alignment was definitely one of them.

Fortunately I have not finished yet. I was having trouble getting the axl and spring alignment pin lined up. I think it's because the truck is only jacked up on the one side and not "level". Then of course it's been raining the last 2 days around here. Hopefully I can get back to it tonight.

Thanks again

Old 06-17-2015, 12:05 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have both ends of the leafs in their hangers? You may need to disconnect the front pivot, get your alignment pin in, semi-sorta tighten the U blots, then force the the springs in place at the front.

I recall using a ratchet strap a couple of times when I replaced all of the rubber with urethane.

Last edited by LeoJr; 06-17-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelun
Old 06-17-2015, 03:09 PM
ved0303
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did what LeoJr did. I had a hell of a time getting the axle lined up again too. I used ratchet straps and pry bars and eventually got everything lined back up.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
I think the first thing I need to do is lower the truck off the jack and make her "level" to the other side? Then try and get it lined up.

I shadow-masked the axl/beam before I cut the old u-bolts off. I currently have the spring in, the axl hanging from the spring (using the new u-bolts) and you can visually see that the angles from the new u-bolts and the shadow-mask isn't lining up. I'm going to give it one more go next week (my weekend is booked solid...great) and it's been nothing but miserable weather wise around here. If I still can't get it, I'm taking it to a shop.

Any thoughts on what a shop might charge to have the springs installed? I'm hoping I might be able to swing a discount if I let them change the TTB bushings and do a 4 wheel alignment. They're a truck shop and came with good recommendations so I would like to think it's worth the "investment" to just let them do it. I need to remember I don't have a garage or lift to do this kind of work. I just hate having to fork out the $$ for something I **could** do myself.

on a side note...and I realize this sounds like a stupid question but can a steering box with "some play" cause excessive tire wear? I don't think so myself and do have a brand new (Red Head) box but not sure if I want to pull it out of the '84 f-150 or not. I haven't decided if I'm keeping that truck or not but if I don't keep it the Red Head box is going in my PSD.

Thanks much,