6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Death wobble solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Demo-man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death wobble solution?

Well I got the wobble on my 2015, posted a while back about it.

Question, Is buying a suspension system to replace the 3.5" level kit going to help solve the issue? I am currently using a 3.5 pro comp level kit, rancho plain old shocks, and 20" wheels w/35" tires.

I was looking at a 4.5" Icon suspension system, the stage 3. The tech I spoke with (not at Icon, but a good shop) mentioned that this would alleviate the issue as the new system will replace the OEM parts that are not up to the task. It included the 2.5" heavier shocks which he mentioned was a very wise choice.

Anyone try this and get rid of the wobble?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:38 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
what are the tires and did you go to a dual steering stabilizer for them?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Did you do alignment cams when you did the Pro Comp lift? 3.5" is a lot of lift if you didn't change out other important stuff under the truck with it going that high.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Demo-man
Senior User
I just installed the dual shock steering stabilizer per Ford's request. It didn't help.

I am not sure on the alignment chamber.

I was speaking with a reputable aftermarket shop here that specializes in juts SD trucks. Per their recommendation, a full suspension system would replace the parts that are getting wear and tear or not built for the aftermarket weights/sizes. Just looking for any advice on if this would work, prior to spending another 3-4k.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,325 Likes on 1,742 Posts
The symptoms you report sound as if your 3.5" front end lift reduced the caster. Lack of caster makes the wheels turn any which way but loose. Small bumps on the road can exert substantially more steering input on a vehicle that lacks sufficient caster. The wobble comes from these constant and conflicting steering inputs, both from the road and from your hand as you try to correct the wheel, and it too, is too responsive, and over corrects, creating a cyclical wandering, or wobble. Correct the caster to regain control.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:49 PM
Demo-man
Senior User
Thanks for the response Y2K. So Caster is the cause of the death wobble? I have yet to get one thing that is the cause, simply told by Ford and others that it is just front end "issues".

So, how or what parts can you get to correct the caster? Does buying a suspension kit correct the caster.

Much appreciate the response.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:11 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,325 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by Demo-man
Thanks for the response Y2K. So Caster is the cause of the death wobble? I have yet to get one thing that is the cause, simply told by Ford and others that it is just front end "issues".

So, how or what parts can you get to correct the caster? Does buying a suspension kit correct the caster.

Much appreciate the response.

Ford isn't lying. Caster IS a front end issue. The three main adjustments of front end alignment are caster, camber, and toe.
If you lifted the front end of your truck to increase it's stance by springs alone, and made no changes to the radius arms or mountings, then the caster got reduced. The taller the coil, the less caster, if all other things are the same.

Furthermore, when your truck bounces up, such as through a jounce and rebound cycle, your caster is momentarily reduced further, at the peak amplitude of that cycle.

To correct caster, and still keep your lift, there are a couple of approaches. Both BD as well as ARB offer what they call a Cam Caster adjuster kit, which basically bolts onto the lower yoke of the radius arms under the axle, to swing out the bottom of the front axle forward a little bit, increasing positive caster.

Another way is to change the rear mounting brackets of the radius arms to ones that lower the origination pivot point of the radius arms, restoring their original near-parallel angle with the ground, which in turn will come closer to restoring the original caster angle throughout the range of the suspension's motion between jounce and rebound.

Yet another way is to replace the radius arms altogether, with ones whose axle yokes were designed for whatever height of lift they were designed for. In this case, and in all cases really, you are depending on the "engineering" of the aftermarket company who generally lacks the resources that Ford has to vet a suspension system through all situations.

I'm not a fan of lift kits. I want all the original engineering I paid for with the price of the truck. Once the lift kit goes in, all that vetting is out the window, and one is left to fend for themselves, trying this and that.

The various "Cam Caster adjustment kits" are probably the least expensive way to start trying stuff to get your caster back in line. You will need a front end alignment to verify your caster is within spec. With a lift and bigger tires, you might want to lean toward the more positive end of the range of suggested caster... ie, a bit more caster, rather than less.

Slow speed steering will be more ponderous, and might require more effort, but higher speed driving will be more stable.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 PM
Demo-man
Senior User
Thanks for the education. I'm not a wrench guy. I believe the 3.5 procomp level kit came with the level kit.

Simply trying to get some confidence that if I drop 3.5k on a suspension kit, it will help my wobbles.

My 11 and my 13 never had the wobble, so just luck of the draw I guess. Almost want to restore to OEM just to prove it was the aftermarket kit. That would be worth the labor costs to me just to have some resolution.

Thanks again