Sponsored by:

Suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Suspension options

After my 20" wheel/35" tire size upgrade, I get rubbing in the front wheel liners plus the ride has always been "squishy" so it's certainly time to upgrade.

I've read a lot of different posts on suspension upgrades and have come to the following options that I'd like to consider for my goal. If someone has a strong opinion on why I should or shouldn't do one of these please chime in. My options are in the order of preference.

Current setup: 2003 Limited 4X4 with 7.3. Suspension is pure stock/original parts except I have a Helwig rear sway bar. I have 2" wheel spacers as well.

My Ex gets used doing: Grocery getter for the wife, school bus for the kids and friends, occasional race car tow vehicle (single car open trailer).

Goals: Slight lift to clear wheels from rubbing. Improved on-road handling (I don't really go off-road), maintain the ability to tow, not be too tall of a lift.

Options:
#1 BDS 4" lift kit with Fox 2.0 dual shocks and steering stabilizer. Fix/replace any worn out ball joints and bushings.
Notes: I like this options because it's a complete kit built for the Ex. All parts coming from the same manufacture I would think it would all work well together.

#2 Skyjacker lift kit (not sure which one to get)
Notes: Same as above but I'm not sure they make a 4" lift. I have read that their kits are truck based so a 6" lift would be an 8" lift. I dont see on their site that they sell a 4" lift kit for the Ex.

#3 Skyjacker Add a leaf kit.
Notes: Probably the least expensive route however I'm in this truck for the long haul and would like to do this stuff all in one shot.

#4 v/b spring upgrade with shocks.
Notes: I would need to gather all the parts up myself (unless someone sells a complete setup). I would rather spend the money on a kit instead of time gathering up all the parts.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:48 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
The V/B upgrade wouldn't need new shocks (unless they are due for replacement anyway, but then stock replacements can still be used.)

Not a "kit" but Junior at ATS Spring can hook you up with everything needed for a V/B or V/C (with the rears modded as you like) swap for a pretty reasonable price. he has worked with several members here who have reported great results.

And the lower lift of a V/B or V/C (or X/B or X/C) wouldn't make you want to get new taller tires just to fill out the wheel wells like some of the higher lift kits.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:07 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have & drive both a 4" pro-comp S/D (=6") lift & a V/B mod. With everything you said you wanted I go with the V/B OR A through Z from Jr. @ ATS. He will tailor your springs just how you want them

Old 01-19-2016, 12:10 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
That "squishy" feeling is a result of worn out shocks or shocks with to light compression valving.

35" tires with stock gearing is what is going to negatively impact your towing not a properly done lift.

On road handeling is a good goal to be sure, a higher spring rate, more compression valving, sway bars, low profile tires, can all increase a vehicles handling, like everything in life it is all a matter of compromise. As handeling goes up comfort goes down... Choose wisely.

steering in spec and non worn suspension bushings are the first things to address.

My opinion on the choices you listed would the BDS but with single fox shocks. I would get the dual fox steering stabilizer but unless you just want the bling you don't need dual shocks. A single fox will provide the same valving as duals, duals are valved at 1/2 of a single so they don't overheat when used under extreme off road conditions.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 AM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Just ordered X/modded C setup with Bilstein 5100 shocks from ATS. Junior was very helpful. I may try and tackle the install myself.

Last edited by vrinner; 01-26-2016 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added vendor ref
Old 04-23-2016, 04:11 PM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Installed

I have my ATS X front and modded C springs and Bilstien shocks installed for about 2 weeks and I absolutely dig it. The Excursion handles like new, slightly lifted and no more rub with the 20" wheels and bigger tires.

I had the installation done by Domestic Diesel in Chino, CA and they did a great job. They finished the project on time and gave me regular updates.

Overall the truck is now about 2.5" higher in the front and about 4" higher in the rear.

I drive the Ex almost daily to work so it was very easy to tell the difference post upgrade. Going through dips where the truck would bottom out is no longer an issues. Going around turns with dips in them went from lots of swaying, bumping and lots of loose suspension noise to no more back and forth swaying, no bumping and no suspension noises at all.

Also on the suspension I had them replace the hub and axle seals, lower and upper ball joints, steering stabilizer, drag and sway bar links. Also installed a new track bar.

Also did some maintenance and minor upgrades such as 6.0 trans cooler, S&B cold air kit, trans flush, radiator hose replacement and flush, water pump, thermostat, CAC tubes, turbo pipes and a rear brake job.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for you help and advice. I couldn't be happier with the Excursion...well...except I think I want to do some power mods next!

After ATS X and C spring upgrade

Old 04-23-2016, 06:45 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vrinner
I have my ATS X front and modded C springs and Bilstien shocks installed for about 2 weeks and I absolutely dig it. The Excursion handles like new, slightly lifted and no more rub with the 20" wheels and bigger tires.

I had the installation done by Domestic Diesel in Chino, CA and they did a great job. They finished the project on time and gave me regular updates.

Overall the truck is now about 2.5" higher in the front and about 4" higher in the rear.

I drive the Ex almost daily to work so it was very easy to tell the difference post upgrade. Going through dips where the truck would bottom out is no longer an issues. Going around turns with dips in them went from lots of swaying, bumping and lots of loose suspension noise to no more back and forth swaying, no bumping and no suspension noises at all.

Also on the suspension I had them replace the hub and axle seals, lower and upper ball joints, steering stabilizer, drag and sway bar links. Also installed a new track bar.

Also did some maintenance and minor upgrades such as 6.0 trans cooler, S&B cold air kit, trans flush, radiator hose replacement and flush, water pump, thermostat, CAC tubes, turbo pipes and a rear brake job.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for you help and advice. I couldn't be happier with the Excursion...well...except I think I want to do some power mods next!

After ATS X and C spring upgrade
Did you go with the fox racing stabilizers? If so, I was very upset that I started noticing surface rust on them after 5 months or so and I kept my previous X clean all the time and polished them every time I wash it. I'm going Icon this go around.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:12 PM
vrinner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by hwybee22
Did you go with the fox racing stabilizers? If so, I was very upset that I started noticing surface rust on them after 5 months or so and I kept my previous X clean all the time and polished them every time I wash it. I'm going Icon this go around.
I went with stock Ford. Figure the oem lasted 140k miles so it can't be that bad.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great! I found that my Ex drove overall better after the X/C springs. It is way better when towing as well, so I am sure you will be happy with the improvements there.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:50 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Looks excellent; glad you're happy with the results!
Funny how that horsepower thing always creeps into the picture, seems like there's never too much!

Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 AM
NCTunanut
Senior User
I did the X/C swap from ATS as well, very happy with the results. 35's with no rubbing, rides and tows much better also.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM
MdX
New User
Originally Posted by NCTunanut
I did the X/C swap from ATS as well, very happy with the results. 35's with no rubbing, rides and tows much better also.

NC,
Looks good. What brand/model headlights and what's the tire/wheel combo?

Thanks