Sponsored by: DP Tuner

lost parking brake after brake job

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:02 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost parking brake after brake job

new, rotors, calipers and pads. done by a local shop who for now i wont be returning. park brake barely engages. is there a adjustment other then inside the hubs? thanks

Old 05-22-2015, 06:14 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Why would you spend all that $$$$ and NOT take it back? That's a safety hazard. or at least a major lawsuit.....

Old 05-22-2015, 06:26 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a star wheel adjuster in there and an access slot on the backing plate to get to it. But yeah, I'd take it back and point out that they forgot to adjust them after installing the rear rotors.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Pikachu
There is a star wheel adjuster in there and an access slot on the backing plate to get to it. But yeah, I'd take it back and point out that they forgot to adjust them after installing the rear rotors.
i brought it back already but i guess they couldnt get it any tighter. i will try myself, didnt know there was a access cover to star adjuster, thanks

Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 PM
tonym17
Senior User
look to see if the backing plate is rusted out...

Old 05-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They probably turned the star wheels the wrong way, lol.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Or your E-Brake cable is FUBAR. get a second beer buddy to push the pedal up and down while you're under there watching the action. you might have something pinched or broken under there cable-wise.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:49 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by coax9952
Or your E-Brake cable is FUBAR. get a second beer buddy to push the pedal up and down while you're under there watching the action. you might have something pinched or broken under there cable-wise.
Thanks I will

Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Wait a minute. There is an actuator lever in there the jams up something fierce, because of corrosion. Make sure this releases freely (the cable end is attached to this lever at the wheel). If it releases and actuates with the pedal alone - and no need to bang it with a mallet - then it's possible something wasn't put together correctly in the shoe section.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Wait a minute. There is an actuator lever in there the jams up something fierce, because of corrosion. Make sure this releases freely (the cable end is attached to this lever at the wheel). If it releases and actuates with the pedal alone - and no need to bang it with a mallet - then it's possible something wasn't put together correctly in the shoe section.

That looks nice painted up under there. What paint are you using?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I always have BBQ paint on hand - it's made for high heat and a corrosive environment.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
I always have BBQ paint on hand - it's made for high heat and a corrosive environment.
Thanks for all the help. Adjusted star on one side as directed from ford. Other side I can only turn a few notches Til it stops. I need it to turn more but it won't. Trying to avoid ripping everything apart. Just going through access plug to adjust. Could this mean the shoes need to be replaced? I have no idea the thickness left on them. Thanks

Old 05-24-2015, 03:23 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Pulling the disc to see what's going on should be easy enough. Pull the tire and drop the two large bolts from the caliper. Bleed the brake line while you spread the caliper. Allegedly, the disc will now come off - but it likely needs the coaxing of a BFH (like a dead-blow). You likely have plenty of face on them - they are just parking brakes. Unfortunately... their downfall is lack of use, and they rust up something fierce.

It is such a pain in the **** to replace shoes. I hope you don't have to, but if you go that far - replace everything. You don't want a repeat in there. Shoe replacement involves someplace clean and comfortable to sit, a rack of beverages, some shade, soothing music, and a primer in anger management.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM
sudsmcduff
More Turbo
Pulling the disc to see what's going on should be easy enough. Pull the tire and drop the two large bolts from the caliper. Bleed the brake line while you spread the caliper. Allegedly, the disc will now come off - but it likely needs the coaxing of a BFH (like a dead-blow). You likely have plenty of face on them - they are just parking brakes. Unfortunately... their downfall is lack of use, and they rust up something fierce.

It is such a pain in the **** to replace shoes. I hope you don't have to, but if you go that far - replace everything. You don't want a repeat in there. Shoe replacement involves someplace clean and comfortable to sit, a rack of beverages, some shade, soothing music, and a primer in anger management.
Thanks brother. Gonna Tare into it now with some help from Bob Marley. Long as we don't fall asleep or eat to much. Or forget to tighten bolts.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:02 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Are you trying to turn it the wrong way? Something makes me think that you go opposite direction with the star on the other side.

Quick Reply: lost parking brake after brake job