Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT X4 issue rate? Considering risky option.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Joshua Sirchuk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCT X4 issue rate? Considering risky option.

I just got the SCT X4 from 5 Star tuning. I got the one with 3 custom tunes. The main reason for purchase was for my RV and they only offer one tune for it. I have two tunes remains from 5 Star at no additional cost ( excluding shipping I assume).

The risk I am considering is to send the tuner back to SCT to have it unlocked and leave my RV permanently tuned with the 5 Star Custom Tune. Then I can use the two remaining tunes on my Excursion which we full time RV with along with our Class A RV. What I'm wondering is what the failure rate is with these. Have any of you had any reason not to have a tuner unmarried from your rig?

This would cost me $150 (unlock) shipping both ways from SCT and both ways from five star. Far less than the $400+ for a second tuner.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 PM
*208*
Junior User
Can't help with the answer (I don't have a tuner yet)..but wanted to say howdy neighbor!

Old 05-14-2015, 09:44 PM
Joshua Sirchuk
Senior User
Originally Posted by *208*
Can't help with the answer (I don't have a tuner yet)..but wanted to say howdy neighbor!
Thanks for the friendly Howdy. Not quite a Washingtonian anymore though. Passing through Las Vegas from California's Mojave now. Learning all sorts of things about the X as we really used it for all its worth! Wold love to settle down in Idaho! Probably end up in Florida or Arizona though. Not all family members can handle the snow.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 AM
Vwags
Elder User
I would think the failure rate question may be better posed to 5 star as they would know how often their software goes bad but I suspect it is very little. My only thought is I don't know what they are doing in your part of the country with emission testing but here in CA there is talk that in the future the scanners used for emission testing is going to make sure there is original factory software installed. Just rumors so far but who knows. That being said I suspect CA will lead the way so until it even happens here there is likely zero concern anywhere else but just something to think about when considering risk.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:18 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vwags
My only thought is I don't know what they are doing in your part of the country with emission testing but here in CA there is talk that in the future the scanners used for emission testing is going to make sure there is original factory software installed.
Two thoughts:
1. The SCT doesn't change the software, it changes the tables and variables within the software, so would it even detect the tables were modified? They'd have to know the specs on every make, model and variation of that model to tell something was modified.

2. When I bought mine, I was able to save the factory specs into the SCT before sending the new specs. Why couldn't you just push those specs back to the computer before emissions testing, then change it back to the power/tow/economy/etc. after?

But to the original poster...It's my understanding of how they work - it only really does something when you change the tune (pulling data from the truck computer and sending new data back), that's a pretty small window for failure.

But if you were going to use it to monitor gauges/values when driving, then you'd be switching the SCT a lot between vehicles and then I could see a concern.

If you are going to 'tune' one rig, then 'tune' another and you only keep it connected to one of them for gauges, it isn't really 'doing' anything when it's connected to the port - it's just reading values being spit out by the computer. I haven't unlocked mine since I only have one rig I want to tune, but seeing as the only time you'd need to change tunes would be for emissions...I'd do your emissions as early as possible each year/other year/etc. (depending on where you live) and if it fails, you would probably have time to get it fixed and back to you before your emissions come due.

Also agree with the idea that 5 Star will be the best source for a knowledgeable answer on this one.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would look at buying a used unlocked tuner that you can use the other tunes with. That way you don't have to risk it, you can only unlock them so many times...

Old 05-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Vwags
Elder User
[QUOTE=robert_l_ross;15356572]Two thoughts:
1. The SCT doesn't change the software, it changes the tables and variables within the software, so would it even detect the tables were modified? They'd have to know the specs on every make, model and variation of that model to tell something was modified.

2. When I bought mine, I was able to save the factory specs into the SCT before sending the new specs. Why couldn't you just push those specs back to the computer before emissions testing, then change it back to the power/tow/economy/etc. after?

1. Yes they would have to know the tables for your vehicle and the rumor is that they are compiling and testing that now.

2. I am planning on going back to stock prior to testing but the OP wanted to remove that option from himself.

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of California

Old 05-15-2015, 04:33 PM
Joshua Sirchuk
Senior User
Unfortunately the used tuners are close to the same price as an open box from Five Star. I've spoken with both Five Star and SCT about failure rates and while they know their stuff they are subject to a couple of pressures that basically anonymous forum users aren't. They both have reason to say just buy a second tuner.
1. One more Sale
2. Liability ( of some kind in sure )

Doesn't look like there any strong reasons to keep the tuner married to the RV.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
PM me I might have what your looking for. I would myself but I can't figure out how to PM on the iPhone app

iPhone from IB AutoGroup