1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1986 E350, 460, Ambulance, Fixing engine fire damage.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 08:55 PM
areoseek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1986 E350, 460, Ambulance, Fixing engine fire damage.

Recently won, at auction, a 1986 E350 Ambulance with a 460. Only catch was it didn't run. It was very obvious looking under the hood and under the doghouse in the cab, that there was an engine fire. EVERYTHING is melted. I removed the air cleaner, and saw where the fire started. The fuel line was rusted out at the Carb where it goes into the fuel filter right before the float. Probably dripped and pooled onto the manifold and flashed. anyway, I've gotten it re-wired to the point of running and driving with a lot of problems. The transmission wiring was melted together, fixed that,

Headlights wont work, only the high beams???
Horn works, Only the front turn signals work.
The wires from the DSII ignition module are not melted, thank god!!!
But the wires going to the coil are (Still functions, just gross looking) .
Distributor cap seems to be loose (not sure what holds it on a 460, hard to see past all of the Dry-chem)

It has this spider web of melted vaccum lines. I can hear hissing EVERYWHERE. I'm assuming this is why it wont run right.
I don't have a vaccum diagram sticker ANYWHERE.

Wired up the fuel pump to a switch, because it would stay on even with the key off.

Plug wires look fine, but i am going to change them tomorrow.

Air cleaner was TOAST So i put an aftermarket one on from Mr gasket, But I have the slight feeling it may be too small??!? Mr. Gasket brand | Part #: 1487 it's much smaller than the factory one but it's all the parts store had. it starts a bit easier with the air cleaner off.

If anyone has one of these and can provide pictures of correct wiring of the choke, Air conditioning, distributor, Oil pressure sender, and Smog pump, That would be AMAZING,.

Sorry, Information overload.... Will upload pics and video tomorrow.
Edit: pic.

Last edited by areoseek; 05-03-2015 at 08:59 PM. Reason: pics.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:42 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's running now that's a big step! I did find a real under hood Vacuum Sticker for a 86 - 460/7.5 Heavy Duty, not sure if it's a Van.........

Old 05-04-2015, 08:53 PM
areoseek
Senior User
Originally Posted by econolinemanor

If it's running now that's a big step! I did find a real under hood Vacuum Sticker for a 86 - 460/7.5 Heavy Duty, not sure if it's a Van.........
Thank you!!!!!! It's running but likes to stall when I put it in drive if it hasn't been idling for at least 15 minutes. Probably has something to do with the vacuum line for the vacuum advance being melted. the only vacuum line we've replaced so far is the one for the power brakes. those were kind of important on an 8000lb truck.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
I have an ambulance, too; '87 E350 with 460/C-6, Dana 70 (single rear tires, not dually) and a Braun aluminum body. Have decided to sell it. I don't envy you the task of repairing fire damage, particularly because a 460 is just physically too big for the space. I repaired fire damage on a '79 E150, but that was an easier job than yours by far, because there was less STUFF under the hood, and because the 351W was physically enough smaller than a 460 that you could work on it more easily.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 AM
areoseek
Senior User
Originally Posted by seattle smitty
I have an ambulance, too; '87 E350 with 460/C-6, Dana 70 (single rear tires, not dually) and a Braun aluminum body. Have decided to sell it. I don't envy you the task of repairing fire damage, particularly because a 460 is just physically too big for the space. I repaired fire damage on a '79 E150, but that was an easier job than yours by far, because there was less STUFF under the hood, and because the 351W was physically enough smaller than a 460 that you could work on it more easily.
I've noticed that it's kinda showed in there. And that sucker gets HOT. I noticed that the valve cover is leaking a bit, but have decided to let it go because even something as simple as removing a valve cover is next to impossible due to the hoses and wires and insulation right on top of the valve cover. it's horrible. I'm used to pick-up trucks (I have a 1985 F250 with a 351w) where there is tons of room. this is a whole new world to me.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
Originally Posted by areoseek
I've noticed that it's kinda showed in there. And that sucker gets HOT. I noticed that the valve cover is leaking a bit, but have decided to let it go because even something as simple as removing a valve cover is next to impossible due to the hoses and wires and insulation right on top of the valve cover. it's horrible. I'm used to pick-up trucks (I have a 1985 F250 with a 351w) where there is tons of room. this is a whole new world to me.
Smoebody here, Fordman, I think, had to pull a 460 out of one of his many vans and ended up having to torch out the motormounts. But then, IIRC, he did what I would do if I kept the ambulance: Get rid of all the space-consuming crap (air pump, other emissions stuff) and replace that 460 with a built 300/six. A CARBURETED six, which leave a lot more space than the factory EFI set-up does. Yes. That is the only way to get any working room in one of these vans, and if you built that six for max useful low-to-midrange power, and make a couple of other changes, it will work fine.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM
areoseek
Senior User
Okay, well after changing the cap and rotor and some wires (cant get to some of them ) we discovered the firing order was incorrect when we got it. 3&6 were reversed. Fixed that and now she runs realllllyyyyy smooth. One poblem, and i have no idea whats causing it, when we hit the gas to take off from a stop, it bogs and almost stalls, if you dont let off, itll backfire, but if you let off and reapply SLOWLY, itll accelerate just fine.

Another issue, the a/c wires are melted. There are two. Where do they connect and what voltage should they have? One has 0.6 volts with the ac on, but the clutch still wont engage (yes it has pressure). Any ideas?

Old 05-08-2015, 01:28 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Sounds like the Accelerator Pump dried up in the Carb, but after a fire a rebuild kit wouldn't hurt. Any Ethanol Gas will kill the Float Needle eventually.........

Old 05-08-2015, 08:07 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by areoseek
Recently won, at auction, a 1986 E350 Ambulance with a 460.
how much $$$$ ?

Old 05-08-2015, 08:24 PM
areoseek
Senior User
Originally Posted by vettex2
how much $$$$ ?
900$.

Fixed the hesitation issue for the most part, turns out im not crazy and i wasnt hearing things. Had my buddy come over to give a second set of ears and he noticed a hissing under the doghouse. Sure enough, put some propane by the hole and the engine revvved right up. Huge vaccum leak. Plugged her up and she idles and drives like new!!! What a world of difference a tiny little hole makes!!

Old 05-08-2015, 11:50 PM
seattle smitty
Senior User
EDIT

(This post described an ambulance I'm selling. Since the party I wrote it for is no longer in the market, Im pasting it elsewhere).

Old 05-09-2015, 05:52 AM
areoseek
Senior User
Originally Posted by seattle smitty
Where are you, Vettex? I'm in the Seattle area, and I'm selling my ambulance (no fire) for $2250. '87 E350 chassis with a Braun (the Cadillac of ambulances) aluminum body. 460/C-6, special order Dana 70 axle, single heavy-duty rear tires rather than duallies. It's all straight, no rust. LOTS of storage compartments inside and out, lots of interior lights, padding all around. It runs good, shifts good, stops straight and hard with no pedal pulsation, and most amazing, the Twin I-beam front end is nice and tight, and the truck tracks straight down the road (so probably somebody went through it. I expect it always had good service.

The exterior doors in the Braun body were probably what impressed me most. I've owned pickups with service bodies that had similar-appearing exterior doors and storage, but the quality was nothing like this: heavy doors on top quality hinges with good seals and stainless steel latches, doors that go THUMP when you close 'em. Seems that ambulance companies, like fire departments, don't fool around with cheap stuff. I believe this rig, new in '87, went for about $55K.

It's just heavier than what I want in a cross-country camper-van. But for a local area service truck for some kind of business, like a plumber or locksmith or horseshoe-er, it would be excellent, and a lot of vehicle for the money.
Erie Pennsylvania.. Sorry, not in the market anymore, lol

Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 AM
seattle smitty
Senior User
But I meant the post for Vettex . . .

Old 05-10-2015, 05:33 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wan't in the market. I was just curious