Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Front bearing replacement question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by got2bjoester
I was able to do mine, but didn't have the washers and such like used above. I ended up removing the steering knuckle and pressing them in/out. I made a platform out of 2X10's stood on end tall enough to use my 12 ton Hydraulic jack against the I-beam in my basement. My bearing came out in pieces. Literally.
The outer race had fractured and failed. Not sure how long, but the bearings were dry and the fracture that went all the way around the bearing was full of dried up grease. Maybe it micro fractured during the installation prior to the vehicle being assembled... Don't know. It was quite convenient though... I had perfect pieces to provide support on the new bearing as I pressed against the inner and outer portions of the bearing.

...still a huge fan of the old wheel bearings with a castle nut... Much easier back then and you could clean and lube them periodically.
I've seen them do that on "This Old House" to level out a sagging floor! A good way to do some structural damage if your not careful.

I made a small press frame out of 2" thick base plates and 3/4" rods that I threaded. A monster to transport.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wptski
A good way to do some structural damage if your not careful.
I scoped that out prior to setting up. My I-beam runs under the wall for the hallway and one wall in my living room. I figured there was enough structural weight and integrity to keep things in check. I also positioned my setup near a 2X4 wedged under the I-beam for a short wall along the basement stairs. While applying pressure I was able to watch for the tell-tale gap to appear at the top of the 2X4 indicating bad things were happening.

Could have easliy used a 2-ton jack but the 12-ton was what I had on hand. I only slightly dented the wood I put between the top of the jack and the I-beam to prevent slipping.

Excellent point though.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:07 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I scoped that out prior to setting up. My I-beam runs under the wall for the hallway and one wall in my living room. I figured there was enough structural weight and integrity to keep things in check. I also positioned my setup near a 2X4 wedged under the I-beam for a short wall along the basement stairs. While applying pressure I was able to watch for the tell-tale gap to appear at the top of the 2X4 indicating bad things were happening.

Could have easliy used a 2-ton jack but the 12-ton was what I had on hand. I only slightly dented the wood I put between the top of the jack and the I-beam to prevent slipping.

Excellent point though.
I sort-of remember a story told to me when I started my apprenticeship that somebody was pushing out a compressor shaft with a jack against a block wall and punched a hole in it.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Tight circles left and right both forward and reverse.

Just curious... have you had the wheels balanced, and did the technician inspect the wheel for internal failure like a slipped or failing belt? ANY deviation in the tire's tread while spinning can cause noises or a wobble. Also, how worn are the tires? I've been using Goodyear Assurance Fuel Savers on mine and I've noticed they get loud as the tread nears the end of it's life. whatever brand you are using may do the same.
The tires (fairly new) were balanced but I have rotated them and it also did it with the last set of tires. It seems that it is better at slow speeds unless I am turning in a tight circle or at higher speeds (45+) to the right. It does not go away when making left turns, just doesn't get louder.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:30 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
I'm running out of gas here... Bearings don't usually make the noise you describe and if you did the left/right/up/down test and there was no wobble....
Is it possible the dust shield is scraping the disc?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:33 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Took it to a parking lot last night and did some circles with steering at full lock about 10mph.
Turning right - LOUD noise.
Turning left - very little noise.

At about 45mph on a long sweeping curve it makes the noise going right but not to the left.
I wish it was loud enough to record the sound. It's not metal on metal but a (gotta love trying to explain a sound using 'words') woob - woob -woob. The faster I go the faster & louder the sound.
I've never had a bad wheel bearing but from the reading I had done before I was sure that I had one. I'll jack it up again tonight and check all four wheels for movement.

I appreciate you sticking with me. I know it can be frustrating trying to help diagnose problems without ever seeing the vehicle.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:41 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scott91370
(gotta love trying to explain a sound using 'words') woob - woob -woob.
- LOL! I can relate though.

I know that sound I think.... as I recall, my Escape was doing that before I figured out the bearing(s). It could and probably is that you are hearing the beginning of the bearing on it's way out. I would:
Jack up the vehicle and re-check the left side wheel for the up/down/left/right slack. ANY wobble is unacceptable. I would also rotate the wheel a few degrees and recheck until you've gone one full rotation.

You can also put a 2X4 under the wheel to add more force to move it up and down.

Bearings sound horrible to change if you read the procedure, but it's not that bad if you have more than basic tools.

If you have an assistant you trust, go back to the parking lot and repeat the right turn test but slower so you can walk beside the wheel listening for a "grunch-grunch-grunch" from the center of the wheel. I've done it with my son and I kept my hand on the fender with instructions to immeditely stop if my hand came off the vehicle. You should be able to hear it at a moderate pace like a fast walk.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:25 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Pulled all four wheels off tonight and checked for anything else that might be loose. All bolts are tight and none of the ball joints had play that I could see/feel.
With wheels on I did left/right, up/down and nothing moved even with extra leverage.

I'll get my wife to go to the lot with me and give it a try. I know there is something not right. I will even get a rebalance just to make sure. There isn't much weight on the tires, which is nice, but they look a little too dirty for the few thousand miles I have on the tires.

Be back tomorrow with an update.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I had a front bearing in a Tempo that did something similar (woob-woob-woob ), see if the noise goes away after it gets wet (as from driving through puddles in the rain).

Old 12-20-2015, 10:46 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it get quieter when you turn then it is usually a wheel bearing going.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:16 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
I haven't driven it for a few days but I will listen if we get any rain.

As far as quieter when turning, it's just the opposite.

Old 12-24-2015, 03:13 PM
got2bjoester
More Turbo
Originally Posted by scott91370
I haven't driven it for a few days but I will listen if we get any rain.

As far as quieter when turning, it's just the opposite.
Mine was loud enough going straight, but amplified greatly when turning.