Front bearing replacement question(s) - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Reload this Page >

Front bearing replacement question(s)

Notices
Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Old 04-27-2015, 07:37 PM
got2bjoester
Senior User
got2bjoester is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

I'm going to be replacing the front bearing(s) on my '02 4X4 Escape and I wonder...
1. I'm buying the hub/bearing kit and not just the bearing. Can the retainer clip be fished out of the steering knuckle so the old hub and bearing can be removed in one shot?
2. I've seen people reporting failed installations so I'm guessing they might have hammered the bearing into place... Is it true that the bearings can be damaged by lateral force during installation? If true, the bearing must be installed by pressing ONLY on the bearing chase being pressed (inner for hub, outer for knuckle).

Anyone got words of wisdom for this?

TIA. Joe

Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru
bmuhlbach has a good reputation on FTE.bmuhlbach has a good reputation on FTE.
No they get rusted in place imo. I unbolt the axle nut. 2 bolts on top off spindle pull down and pull out the axle.Some times easier to turn the wheel to full lock.Reinstall the 2 bolts and take a big slide hammer and attach to the hub. pull it out.Pull out the clip. Then turn to full lock and take a piece of round stock and a big hammer and pound the old bearing out. take a wire wheel clean up the hub. I have threaded rod and washers I made that are the size of bearing and larger to draw the bearing in.then the smaller one to draw the hub in if you try to just push it in it will push part of bearing out. Also put the new parts in the freezer over night to shrink them down they will go in easier.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM
got2bjoester
Senior User
Rats. I was hoping for a shortcut considering I'm replacing the hub too.

To be sure, the retainer clip goes in the knuckle on the hub side, not the axle side? The few instructions I've found online are a bit vague but I do understand the jist of the work to be done.

I miss the older tapered bearings.....

Old 04-30-2015, 07:05 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru
Yes its on the hub side. You put new bearing in then the clip. Then the hub.And the hub is locked in by the axle shaft nut. My first one took about 3 hrs from start to finish,now about 1 1/2 hours.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:11 PM
got2bjoester
Senior User
That's what I thought... hence the idea that I might be able to remove the retainer clip and then pull the old hub and bearing in one shot.

Thank you bmuhlbach!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru
Your welcome. I am going to do one tomorrow I will try to take pictures. I am not savvy wth the picture and video stuff more of a after thought.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:54 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru

Pulling the hub.

After the hub.Next remove The clip

Picture with bearing removed.I use a 1 3/4 dia.x 2 inch pc to knock bearing out.

New bearing installed.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru

Using washers and threaded rod to install bearing

Installing hub. Smaller washer on back side to hold bearing together

shot of back side

Old 05-27-2015, 11:51 AM
New User
1215 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Are there Ford factory tools to do this job or is threaded rod and washers the only answer?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 PM
bmuhlbach
Posting Guru
You can take spindle all the way off and have them pressed in and out. I priced it out it was $50.00 a side. Could probable find cheaper price.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:09 PM
got2bjoester
Senior User
I was able to do mine, but didn't have the washers and such like used above. I ended up removing the steering knuckle and pressing them in/out. I made a platform out of 2X10's stood on end tall enough to use my 12 ton Hydraulic jack against the I-beam in my basement. My bearing came out in pieces. Literally.
The outer race had fractured and failed. Not sure how long, but the bearings were dry and the fracture that went all the way around the bearing was full of dried up grease. Maybe it micro fractured during the installation prior to the vehicle being assembled... Don't know. It was quite convenient though... I had perfect pieces to provide support on the new bearing as I pressed against the inner and outer portions of the bearing.

...still a huge fan of the old wheel bearings with a castle nut... Much easier back then and you could clean and lube them periodically.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 PM
scott91370
Elder User
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
What are the symptoms of a wheels bearing? My Tribute has been making a 'pulsating' sound from about 25mph - 65ish. I thought it was going to be the failed inner tie rod making the tire wobble, but after replacement the sound is still there. I also rotated tires and it also did it with the last set. I do not have any left/right or up/down movement in the wheel.

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:00 AM
got2bjoester
Senior User
Mine made a grinding type sound when turning, mainly to the right. Leaning out the opened drivers side window I could hear the noise coming from the front wheel.

For those who might not know the left/right'up/down test:
If you position a jack under the control arm and jack the wheel until it's just off the ground, you can grasp the rim on the top and bottom and "wiggle" the wheel top in - bottom out and visa versa and feel for any sort of slack in the bearings.
NOTE: NEVER PUT YOUR HAND BETWEEN THE TIRE AND THE GROUND WHEN DOING THIS. GRAB ONLY BY THE RIM OR A PORTION OF THE TIRE WHERE YOUR HAND WILL NOT BE TRAPPED IF THE JACK SLIPS AND THE VEHICLE WHEEL RETURNS TO THE GROUND UNEXPECTEDLY. A much safer method is to use jack stands.

Scott91370 - does the sound change with left/right steering wheel movement or with changes to throttle at speed?

Old 12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
scott91370
Elder User
scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.scott91370 has a good reputation on FTE.
It gets faster as speed increases. It seems to be a little better since the replacement tie rod but not gone.
I will check the left right turning tomorrow. At slow speed I haven't noticed it either way but as soon as I check it I will report back.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 AM
got2bjoester
Senior User
Tight circles left and right both forward and reverse.

Just curious... have you had the wheels balanced, and did the technician inspect the wheel for internal failure like a slipped or failing belt? ANY deviation in the tire's tread while spinning can cause noises or a wobble. Also, how worn are the tires? I've been using Goodyear Assurance Fuel Savers on mine and I've noticed they get loud as the tread nears the end of it's life. whatever brand you are using may do the same.

Last edited by got2bjoester; 12-16-2015 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Trying to get rid of those annoying hotlinks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front bearing replacement question(s)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.