grinding noise on the highway?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 05:15 PM
robotpepper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding noise on the highway?

Hi all,

Thanks for having me and thanks for taking the time to read this and help! Any and all input is appreciated.

This morning (roughly freezing temperature - nothing out of the ordinary after the brutal winter we just had) got onto the highway to head to work and set the cruise control (as normal) at approx 110km/h (65mph) and after several seconds heard a distinct, quite unpleasant grinding noise. It was loud enough to be heard over the heater and radio. Turned the heater and radio off to listen closer and didn't like the sound of it - sounded like metal on metal. There was no different feel in the floor, pedals or steering wheel. As soon as I turned cruise control off, the noise disappeared! Turned cruise control back on, and the noise returned approx 5 seconds later. If I continued driving along normally and sustained a certain speed, the noise would appear after 5 seconds again and only go away once I lifted off the gas or coasted down a hill... Very bizarre. Once I got to work and poked my head underneath didn't immediately notice anything out of the ordinary - no funny smells or anything...

Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than I have could provide some insight before I bring it to the dealer and know what I may be getting into...

Background info:
2011 FX4 ecoboost, crew cab. Stock, no modifications. Approx 134,000km (~80,000 miles)

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
sounds like noise from the integrated wheel end (IWE)

see if any of these help.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Search Results

Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 AM
awq134
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. does it only happen with light to moderate throttle inputs and goes away as soon as soon as you let off the throttle? Mine is so random, sometimes it will happen a few times in a day, but then will not happen again for a few weeks to a month or so. Maybe I don't fully understand the system, but I'm not completely convinced it's the IWE yet. How/why is it so random? With that said, once I can get some free/ down time i'm going to pull off the front wheels and take a look at them.

My truck has been doing this for the last 2-3 years and the 4x4 still operates normally when selected. I thought about taking it to the dealership, but it's so random that it would be like chasing a ghost.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:45 PM
robotpepper
New User
Originally Posted by awq134
Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. does it only happen with light to moderate throttle inputs and goes away as soon as soon as you let off the throttle? Mine is so random, sometimes it will happen a few times in a day, but then will not happen again for a few weeks to a month or so. Maybe I don't fully understand the system, but I'm not completely convinced it's the IWE yet. How/why is it so random? With that said, once I can get some free/ down time i'm going to pull off the front wheels and take a look at them.

My truck has been doing this for the last 2-3 years and the 4x4 still operates normally when selected. I thought about taking it to the dealership, but it's so random that it would be like chasing a ghost.
It was happening while I was hurrying to work and haven't had a chance to go test it out again - heading out shortly to try and recreate it, as well as test to see if the noise is present in just 2WD or 4WD as well. Posted this problem on several forums and everyone is pointing towards IWE. Still covered by extended warranty so I think I'll drop it off at the dealer and cross my fingers it's covered!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have to wonder if there is a problem with the vacuum pump, as soon as your truck goes into boost mode you lose vacuum, which then may cause loss of vacuum to the IWE system, just a guess, hope it's figured out.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:29 PM
robotpepper
New User
Tech @ dealership state they weren't able to replicate noise on highway. Argh. They did note, however, that my brake vacuum pump was being noisy and replaced that under warranty...

Old 04-28-2015, 09:33 AM
FordServiceCA
Official Ford Rep
Originally Posted by robotpepper
Hi all,

Thanks for having me and thanks for taking the time to read this and help! Any and all input is appreciated.

This morning (roughly freezing temperature - nothing out of the ordinary after the brutal winter we just had) got onto the highway to head to work and set the cruise control (as normal) at approx 110km/h (65mph) and after several seconds heard a distinct, quite unpleasant grinding noise. It was loud enough to be heard over the heater and radio. Turned the heater and radio off to listen closer and didn't like the sound of it - sounded like metal on metal. There was no different feel in the floor, pedals or steering wheel. As soon as I turned cruise control off, the noise disappeared! Turned cruise control back on, and the noise returned approx 5 seconds later. If I continued driving along normally and sustained a certain speed, the noise would appear after 5 seconds again and only go away once I lifted off the gas or coasted down a hill... Very bizarre. Once I got to work and poked my head underneath didn't immediately notice anything out of the ordinary - no funny smells or anything...

Hoping someone with a bit more knowledge than I have could provide some insight before I bring it to the dealer and know what I may be getting into...

Background info:
2011 FX4 ecoboost, crew cab. Stock, no modifications. Approx 134,000km (~80,000 miles)

Thanks!

It was happening while I was hurrying to work and haven't had a chance to go test it out again - heading out shortly to try and recreate it, as well as test to see if the noise is present in just 2WD or 4WD as well. Posted this problem on several forums and everyone is pointing towards IWE. Still covered by extended warranty so I think I'll drop it off at the dealer and cross my fingers it's covered!

Tech @ dealership state they weren't able to replicate noise on highway. Argh. They did note, however, that my brake vacuum pump was being noisy and replaced that under warranty...
No problem, robotpepper. Our Ford-Certified Technicians are in the best position to assist at this time. Have you considered seeking a second opinion at another dealer in your area?

Mariel

Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM
robotpepper
New User
Originally Posted by FordServiceCA
No problem, robotpepper. Our Ford-Certified Technicians are in the best position to assist at this time. Have you considered seeking a second opinion at another dealer in your area?

Mariel
Thanks Mariel. Saw your post on another forum as well, appreciate it. Will be bringing it by another local dealer in an attempt to identify the issue. Thanks again to everyone here for their help!

Old 05-11-2015, 04:05 PM
Operator13
New User
I'm very interested in the conclusion you come to. My 2010 made the same noise yesterday very randomly. Keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:22 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hope you get the issue diagnosed and resolved soon, keep us posted.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Operator13
I'm very interested in the conclusion you come to. My 2010 made the same noise yesterday very randomly. Keep us posted.
Welcome to the forum, Operator13! Is your truck still making the noise or did it just happen the one time? How many miles are on it currently?

Crystal

Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM
robotpepper
New User
Wound up being a faulty brake vacuum pump. Caused a long "whirring" noise upon startup (60-90 seconds before it would shut off)... sounded like a really loud hair dryer. Did that for months and finally after this thing on the highway took it to the dealer. They diagnosed the pump issue right away but weren't able to recreate the highway noise. It had to have been the IWE issue because I could make it go away but activating 4x4. Dealer replaced the brake vacuum pump under warranty (thankfully, because apparently they're pricy!) and the highway grinding noise hasn't returned since. Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thank you for posting what the solution to your problem was, this helps everyone here when there is a remedy for these problems, glad you have it figured out!