EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Ecoboost - help with normal "noises"

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Ecoboost - help with normal "noises"

Hey Fellow ecoboost owners.

I've had my F150 for under a week. I love the power and I love the truck in general.

I've noticed that under load I hear the turbos and that sounds normal.

I've also noticed another noise, that sounds like a whine or a howl, primarily when decelerating. I thought perhaps it was engine braking of some sort, but tonight it made a similar noise accelerating lightly uphill. If this is just one of the traits of the ecoboost system, thats fine. But I dont want to be ignoring a problem. The truck has under 200 miles on it. thought I'd toss it out there and ask - dont recall this noise on the test drive of the other ecoboost truck I drove.

Tried searching for this as well - hope this board isnt already flooded with the same question.
Thanks in advance,
TAC

Old 09-23-2011, 07:03 AM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Been digging around all over for information. Thought I'd just clarify the specific noise I am concerned about - its more of a higher pitched, constant pitch, howling noise. Sort of like one you get from wind noise on a bad windshield install. Except the noise is clearly coming from underneath the cab.
Never owned a turbo'd vehicle - hoping this is just a noise of the turbo being bypassed on deceleration, as opposed to some kind of transmission noise. I'll need to experiment some more - maybe it only happens when the TC is not locked...though I thought yesterday I had it happen under light acceleration.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:15 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Hey Guys,

Just want to close out my thread with my conclusions - I had installed an AVS bugdeflector II the 2nd day I had the truck. After putzing around some time with my issue, and concluding that the sound resembled a wind/air noise, I took the deflector off. My howling noise went away. Glad I didnt pay the service dept to tell me that! I'm a bit embarrassed to have opened a thread about it but thought it may save others a bit of stress - I thought there was something wrong with my brandy-new truck. Glad it was so simple to fix. I like deflectors but not if its going to sing to me.

TAC

Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
renoman1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a bit late reading this but glad you found the problem

Old 09-26-2011, 09:22 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm a bit late too.

Thanks for posting this TAC! It's always good when someone posts up about a solution to a problem as a follow up. You never know when someone else may have the same or a similar issue and this thread could end up being in some search results.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
As your engine breaks in, you'll notice some ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like lifters but it's the injectors and it's perfectly normal.

Other noises that you'll hear are squealing tires as you tromp the gas, a deep throaty sound as you gain speed and you'll hear yourself say "yes dear" as your bride tell you to knock that crap off and grow up!

Enjoy my friend and fear not, the ecoboost engine is over built and tough as nails.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Thanks for the advice on the ticking, tseekings.

Other then the stupid deflector noise, the only other one I am worried about is hearing a siren. Between the ride and the smooth performance of this engine, I am unintentionally speeding everywhere I go.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:46 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirdsACharm
Thanks for the advice on the ticking, tseekings.

Other then the stupid deflector noise, the only other one I am worried about is hearing a siren. Between the ride and the smooth performance of this engine, I am unintentionally speeding everywhere I go.

I noticed that as well when I test drove the EB (still waiting to get my new truck). I took it out for a long test drive and was amazed at how decieving the speed really is...it does not feel like you are going as fast as you really are...

I had posted a question about the ticking noises as well...glad to "hear" (NPI) that it's normal.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM
ThirdsACharm
Tuned
Now that my real issue has been solved, I have to share another noise problem I'm having.

Seems anytime I step on it, there is this awful whiny noise coming from the passenger seat.
Sounds like a woman's voice saying "Slow Down!!!" and "I dont like it when you drive like that". The really crazy part about it is if it happens more than a few times in one trip, I end up having to sleep on the couch.

More seriously, this engine is simply unreal. My girlfriend gets nervous easily and the sensation of being pushed back into the seat doesn't go over well.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Can anyone imagine how awesome the Taurus SHO's must feel?! This tiny little engine moves these big trucks around like nothing. Consider a vehicle over 1000 lbs lighter and having AWD.

My wife's uncle has one and he said that in his 83 years, he's never felt anything like it.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
Mrhoppers
New User
Originally Posted by tseekins
As your engine breaks in, you'll notice some ticking noise coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like lifters but it's the injectors and it's perfectly normal.

Other noises that you'll hear are squealing tires as you tromp the gas, a deep throaty sound as you gain speed and you'll hear yourself say "yes dear" as your bride tell you to knock that crap off and grow up!

Enjoy my friend and fear not, the ecoboost engine is over built and tough as nails.
How long is the ticking noise expected? I just noticed it on my truck at about 1000 miles. When should this noise go away? Love the truck so far. Has all the power of my old V10 with way better MPG's.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Mrhoppers
How long is the ticking noise expected? I just noticed it on my truck at about 1000 miles. When should this noise go away? Love the truck so far. Has all the power of my old V10 with way better MPG's.
Welcome to FTE! The ticking noise is the fuel injectors and will not go away. Direct injected engines require immensely high fuel pressure and when these injectors cycle they make a bit of a racket.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Mrhoppers
New User
Is it normal for it to take 1000 miles for this break in to occur? I had a Ford Diesel that I traded in on this truck. My camper is not heavy enough to warrant a diesel anymore with the price of diesel and all. It was also very problematic. Will injector repair cost on the ecoboost be similar to a diesel? I hope not.