Sponsored by:

Change Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Anaiya
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change Transmission Fluid?

I have a 2002 Excursion Limited with the v10. It was purchased used with approximately 75,000 miles on it. It now has approximately 140,000 miles on it. I have no idea what kind of maintenance was done on it before, but I know that the transmission fluid hasn't bee changed in the last 65,000 miles. It runs fine, and actually isn't driven very often. Should I change the transmission fluid, or leave it alone? Thanks for any input!!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:13 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Would you change the engine oil if you knew it was way overdue?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:37 AM
Anaiya
New User
I've heard some people say that it could be harmful to change the transmission fluid if it has never been changed or it has been a very long time since it was last changed. I would very much appreciate some educated and helpful opinions from the many people on this site that I know have lots of experience with these things, preferably without sarcasm and condescension. Thank you.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I will admit to the sarcasm, but I wasn't being condescending at all. This is a pretty tame forum but if you get all bent out of shape every time someone answers a question in the way that you don't like, you're not going to have a very enjoyable experience here or especially anywhere else.

It is never harmful to change transmission fluid. Whoever told you that is misinformed. Sometimes if the fluid has never been changed, the transmission will fail shortly after, but my personal belief is that this is nothing more than anecdotal evidence (e.g. "My brother survived a car accident only because he wasn't wearing a seat belt, so I never wear one.") If the transmission fails after you change the fluid, then it was probably going to fail anyway.

I really hope that my response is "educated" and "helpful" enough to meet your standards.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:27 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Definitely change the fluid and filter.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Anaiya
I've heard some people say that it could be harmful to change the transmission fluid if it has never been changed or it has been a very long time since it was last changed.
I've heard that, too. I don't believe that it is true.

If this were mine I'd change the fluid, unless it is already burnt and brown/black. If the fluid is that bad changing the fluid is a waste of money. The trans is about to die. If the fluid is not brown or black, new fluid can only prolong the life of the transmission.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:12 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
I usually cut the recommended service intervals by 1/2 on transmissions, and change the fluids immediately on any new (to me) vehicle. You should definitely do it!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:55 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 835 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by Anaiya
I have a 2002 Excursion Limited with the v10. It was purchased used with approximately 75,000 miles on it. It now has approximately 140,000 miles on it. I have no idea what kind of maintenance was done on it before, but I know that the transmission fluid hasn't bee changed in the last 65,000 miles. It runs fine, and actually isn't driven very often. Should I change the transmission fluid, or leave it alone? Thanks for any input!!

Welcome to the forum!
There are a few things that you should do to make your stay here (this is the BEST place on the net for EX info and advice ) more enjoyable for both you and the folks here that you are interacting with.
Fill in your location in your profile via the User CP, we may have a member or two near by who can help with a fix.
Once you get over the minimum post count (I think it's 25....) setup a signature that includes the basic details about your EX (year, motor, trim level, 2 or 4 wheel drive, etc....) this will help keep conversations on track for those helping out with advice and suggestions.
Chill out a little, really.. This place has less BS than any other forum I have ever been on and the people here are nearly universally pretty frickin awesome! Hang around here for a little while and you will see total strangers do some amazing things for each other on a near daily basis.
Take any and all advice from Mark Kovalsky about your transmission to the bank! He was one of the engineers involved with the design and testing of your 4R100 trans.

Hopefully you will make this place one of your regular inter web stops, it truly is the best place for EX advice and help.
And to add to the already stated answers to your original question, yes change your trans fluid. Even better than a simple drain and refill look into doing the full flush procedure to get a complete fluid changeout. Information on this and many other issues can be found in the Tech Folders at the top of this forum's page. Lots of excellent reading there!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:58 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tom? You filling in for Apoc with regard to the profile update fetish?
To the Original Poster (OP) change your fluid!