Notices
1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Alert Incoming New Guy

Old 04-16-2015, 02:08 AM
skyde
New User
skyde is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alert Incoming New Guy

Hey guys, I heard this is the best place to come to for some friendly advice! Not really it just said ford truck up top so what the hell.

I have a quick story to tell in order to help people answer my question. Rapid fire here we go.

1 year ago my grandfather (who has basically been my father my whole life) fell when out of country and hit his head. Rather hard. Until a few months ago he had very little cognitive control and couldn't remember anything. His brain damage from the fall was a little tok severe. Now though he has managed to claw back to the surface like the tough fightin sumbitch that he is.

I'm his glory days (some 45 years ago) he was a lieutenant for the Texas highway patrol. Big shot. His patrol vehicle was his own personal 58 f100. 7 years ago he lost it in a collision with a drunk driver.

He doesn't have much anymore. Doctors took away his booze and the accident took away his physical capabilities. And me seeing basically my father not as happy anymore doesn't fly with me. In the slightest. So tomorrow I'm picking up a 58 f100 I found locally. Trade for a firearm I own. Can't beat free stuff.

He loves power. Doesn't care for the branding or keeping things original. He loved that truck. And if he could afford it would have gotten more power regardless of what it took. Chevy in a ford which is blasphemy to yall was fine with him as long as it got more power.

Here's my question. What would you do for the build? What parts would you use? The dream restoration for a man who deserves the world. How would you build it? I'm not New to working on cars. But I'm very New to classics and complete restoration and when I say complete I mean hot damn this truck needs some work. I'm basically buying a frame and a few good body pieces. So from the shoes to the roof. How would you guys go about it? I'm 24 with a lot of time ahead of me. Not a lot of money up front but I'll always have enough to do more for my grandpa. Help me out guys.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:15 AM
skyde
New User

This is what ill be starting with. More pictures to come when its finally in my garage.

Old 04-16-2015, 02:30 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, cherish the time you can spend. It's kind of awkward when the roles get reversed. He depends on you now, even if he doesn't want to admit it.

That truck came with a Y block, this was Ford's offering after the flathead went away, they can make plenty of power, same as anything else. They sound really sweet too, get yourself a set of headers or rams horns, an RV cam and punch it out about .030 over, etc.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:09 AM
skyde
New User
The truck is not coming with a motor. And motors locally are pretty hard to find. If I was going to do a crate what would you recommend. If seen a lot of people talking about a people talking about a crown Vic suspension swap as well. Any opinions on that? And has anyone here done disk brakes all the way around? I really hate working on drums.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Discs in front are doable without a lot of trouble (relatively) speaking. Discs all the way around is not as easy as it sounds. Drums are still often used today for rear axles because front brakes do most of the braking anyway.

Dropping another motor is doable but will require some fabrication, and suitable bell housing. From the big picture view it looks to me like you're wanting a frame-off resto-mod, need plenty of room and a wheelbarrow full of cash.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:26 AM
skyde
New User
Frame-off resto-mod. Hit that purty little nail right on its shiny head. I'm prepared to be in it for the long run. It will take more than I want to spend, and then some, but I'm gonna do it. Regardless of what it takes. I would love to see a 429 cobra jet bored and strokes into it. Bay seems large enough to snuggly fit it. (looks like I could fit my wife's Saturn in there) but curious what tranny/motor combinations will fit without tubbing it or any other major body modifications. The largest I can get.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:29 PM
spurredon
Post Fiend
spurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to allspurredon is a name known to all
Glad you have a good grand father and now a good truck for him and yourself to enjoy. There are people here that have put 460's into these trucks so anything you want will fit. Find out what you want and get the best deal you can and then make it happen. Car front end swaps are getting more and more common, tons of expirience has been shared about them. Spend lots of time reading old post and you will probably know what you want after awhile.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Dang bud, you are starting with about one step above iron ore there. If your plans are as you say, why not spend half as much and just get one already mostly done. Putting a truck together piece by piece is the hardest, most expensive and most labor intensive way there is to an end. Believe me, I've wanted one for a long time and dragged a few home, then decided they were going to be too much work. Then recently I traded into this one. I traded something I had $350 in and had to go about 120 miles after it. No engine or trans, but a clean title.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Eye-Opener
Junior User
Eye-Opener is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree with ^^^ I have seen these trucks in drivable condition looking decent for 3500-5000... If you look through my build on here you will see I'm all about building and doing 100% of it myself. That being said you will spend just in parts what you could get a truck in drivable condition and stash away parts as you get them for a full build..I know the fun of it is nice and you have time on your hands...but for real look around for a different approach to this....

Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
skyde
New User
Trust me guys if I could I would. This piece is the best looking one I found within 500 mimile of my location. I got it for the equivalent of 150 cash with a title, numbers matching 292 and another parts 292 and a tranny. A truck looking as good as the one you posted would sell for 3k here without a motor or tranny or wheels. I've been looking for over a year. Since his accident. This is the hand I'm dealt so Ima make me some damn lemonade. Lol

At least there's no rust holes just surface rust and it's complete. The original bench seat doesn't even have a tear in it. All in all I don't think I turned out that bad.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:55 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
willowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to allwillowbilly3 is a name known to all
Keep us up to date with a build thread. It will be interesting to follow. If you do all your own work, including body and paint, you should be able to get it where you want with $30,000 or so.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM
my 66
Senior User
my 66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
cheap

If it were mine to do I would find a running 2003 up cv police car at a police auction. They go for 1200 to 2100 running here in south Louisiana. Take every thing you can use off and junk the rest. That would give you a running truck, with power, ifs, dis brakes, rp steering and wiring. Its hard to beat the price. The hardest part would be using the wiring off the cv, but it can be done, it has been done on this forum. Good luck

Old 04-22-2015, 07:47 AM
dman2008
Elder User
dman2008 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by my 66 View Post
If it were mine to do I would find a running 2003 up cv police car at a police auction. They go for 1200 to 2100 running here in south Louisiana. Take every thing you can use off and junk the rest. That would give you a running truck, with power, ifs, dis brakes, rp steering and wiring. Its hard to beat the price. The hardest part would be using the wiring off the cv, but it can be done, it has been done on this forum. Good luck
I agree ^^^ x10. Plus you can use sheet metal from the car for rust repair. Good luck with your build.

D