Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'08 Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink '08 Mirrors

I have now sold my old mirrors right off my truck.

I need to order the '08s and install them.

I have read on our forum that for a bit extra $$ the quality of the ones 1A Auto sells are well worth it.

I am understanding that many of you seem to know "Tony" who either owns or works for 1A Auto.

I naturally want the best quality, no rattles, something I will enjoy having on my truck for a LONG time.

I need/want POWER adjustable glass,heated, AMBER signal/clearance lights, DON'T need/want power fold and telescope-manual here is fine.

I have looked at the 1A site and find lots of variations on the '08 up mirrors, but can't seem to see any with the AMBER lenses.....(I don't personally care for the clear and smoked lenses)

Last, but not least, I would appreciate and CURRENT info/tips on wiring up these mirrors-I know I'll need to run wires for the running lights and signals and heat (which will be nice someday)-I understand and have seen that there are wires on the drivers side of the engine compartment for the signals and running lights that Ford provided.......wondering if these would be my best bet to use to hook up the mirrors??

I'd like to do a very factory looking/clean install on the wiring, not just a cut and splice cob job, is there a plug that I can buy to start with to plug into the mirror's plug? then wire from there.....

I have also seen some reference to using a rear window defroster switch which is timed to power up the mirror heat........anyone done this? how long will this switch keep the heat power on?

Thanks Guys!!

Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
See the attachment. It sorts through your plug concern. Granted, the attachment also addresses the various issues of power folding/telescoping, but you can simply ignore those specific issues altogether.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2008 Mirror Install.pdf (455.7 KB, 804 views)
Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak to the mirrors as mine were used OE off of Ebay. I did opt for the power fold/telescoping versions as well so some of the install is a bit more intensive.

On the mirror wiring itself if you buy the mirrors from a junkyard you could likely have them cut under the old pigtail and have OE connectors to solder on. That was what I hoped for but it didn't happen so some radioshack connectors sufficed. The defrost as installed in our year excursions (wasn't available on the super duty line) was wired as always on. I used a switch from a mercury that looked similar in style/time line to our factory switches and mounted it on the dash.

The only thing of importance on our factory power switches is the function is reversed on the 08+. I opted to use new controls and repurpose the old switch.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Thanks very much guys! really like the use of the defroster switch......is it a "timed" switch?

Old 04-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Supercab
Thanks very much guys! really like the use of the defroster switch......is it a "timed" switch?
It is a timed switch that runs appx 10 minutes which is all you need even with a couple inches of ice on the mirrors. Having defrost was would the price of admission alone. I didn't like how soft/mushy the switch was and was afraid of it getting easily bumped on/off and ended up buying a few springs as Ace and trimmed them to fit. May make a difference for you and it may not. Good luck!

Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Eaglestroker
I can't speak to the mirrors as mine were used OE off of Ebay. I did opt for the power fold/telescoping versions as well so some of the install is a bit more intensive.

On the mirror wiring itself if you buy the mirrors from a junkyard you could likely have them cut under the old pigtail and have OE connectors to solder on. That was what I hoped for but it didn't happen so some radioshack connectors sufficed. The defrost as installed in our year excursions (wasn't available on the super duty line) was wired as always on. I used a switch from a mercury that looked similar in style/time line to our factory switches and mounted it on the dash.

The only thing of importance on our factory power switches is the function is reversed on the 08+. I opted to use new controls and repurpose the old switch.

I like the way you made room for the new switches on top of the door panel edge. Did you have to drill through the metal door support underneath that top piece of trim, or was it not in the way on yours. I have a protruding metal panel which comes right underneath the same place on my door trim panel (where you put your switches), and I've considered drilling through for the switch/wiring, but not decided yet.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A defrost switch from a gen 2 Explorer would also work and is timed 10min. If the mirror runs left when you push control right and vice versa, couldnt you wire up relays to flip the signal?

Old 04-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Eaglestroker
Freshman User
Originally Posted by F250_
I like the way you made room for the new switches on top of the door panel edge. Did you have to drill through the metal door support underneath that top piece of trim, or was it not in the way on yours. I have a protruding metal panel which comes right underneath the same place on my door trim panel (where you put your switches), and I've considered drilling through for the switch/wiring, but not decided yet.
If it weren't for the depth of the pigtails on the switches it wouldn't require it, but the forward two switches needed a window notched underneath them to give them room. I had to place the telescoping switch so this made the most sense for me.

Originally Posted by Dirtscooter250
A defrost switch from a gen 2 Explorer would also work and is timed 10min. If the mirror runs left when you push control right and vice versa, couldnt you wire up relays to flip the signal?
A lot of ways to skin that cat - just noting that it is something he might want to be aware of on the front end.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM
F250_
Hotshot
You wouldn't happen to have any pics of the "window notches", would you?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Could I swap in an '08 up mirror switch in place of my '99 one and have the mirrors work correctly? wonder why Ford did that?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:44 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Switches are different shapes and sizes, and there's a lot of "stuff" under the OEM panel where your '99 switch is located. Of the multiple installations I've seen discussed, NO ONE has wanted to go that route.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Well the person whom I communicated with online at 1A Auto didn't seem to understand that I wanted mirrors with AMBER lenses like factory.

I tried smoked cab and fender lights on my Dually but didn't care for the look and went back to Amber (&Red on the rear of the fenders)

I wonder if 1A Tony will see this post or if there was a way I could contact him directly about a purchase.......just don't see what I want on their site/page......

Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I wonder if 1A Tony will see this post or if there was a way I could contact him directly about a purchase.......just don't see what I want on their site/page......
Have you sent him a PM? Or posted in one of his relevant threads in the Vendor Forum?

Both ideas are better than crossing your fingers and hoping he sees this thread.

Stewart

Old 04-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Tony responded to my Email inquiry and offered me a set of mirrors for nearly $700 !!

If I were to go that route I'd go a couple more bucks and buy factory OEM!!

I have to believe that other sellers have decent quality mirrors, 1A auto isn't the only company that sells the mirrors that they do.

May be I'll have to buy mirrors with the smoked lenses and swap with someone who has the AMBER ones.....

I found a seller on Ebay who sells just the SMOKED lenses and they indicate they've sold over 1,000 of them, so theres obviously over 1,000 sets of AMBER sitting on folks shelves collecting dust!

Does anyone have any GOOD, POSITIVE experience with sellers other than 1A with these mirrors?

NO Offense to 1A!!

Old 04-18-2015, 02:50 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Tony responded to my Email inquiry and offered me a set of mirrors for nearly $700 !!
Something aint right.

The mirrors sell for $350ish on their website. And I just checked the vendor forum and see for the first time, a person can now buy aftermarket power fold mirrors, and they're priced at $425 bucks.

Misunderstanding on their part that gave you the wrong info maybe?

Stewart

Quick Reply: '08 Mirrors