Sponsored by:

blown inner bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
blown inner bearing

Hey guys, so I lost and inner bearing on passenger side. This happened on driver side bout a year ago. Last time the spindle was really damaged and pitted so I had to replace it too, after getting the old part of the bearing off.

This time we managed to get the old part of the bearing off but did a small amount of damage to the spindle. Is this a case where I should replace it too? I haven't tried putting a new bearing on it yet.

Here's a pic.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm well I'm no expert when it comes to a situation like this.

If I were low on money, I wouldn't replace it until I saved of some cash. I don't think the part that is chewed up is going to mess up a new bearing, but it may mess up the bearing seal.

I had issues for years with my bearing seal squealing because dust and stuff was getting in around it and it dried out. I never had issues with my inner wheel bearing, but the squeal was quite annoying. Eventually replacing the seal cured the issue. If the nicks mess up your new seal, it may squeal and stuff too.

So with my guess, because the spindle part probably isn't a very high tolerance item (like a camshaft or crankshaft that undergoes very high RPM with articulate geometries and forces), the nicks probably won't cause much issues (except for potential seal damage which I suppose is something to be weary of.) Maybe I would try to smooth out the damaged spots a little just so they don't scratch up anything, then look into getting a new spindle part later.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
File the damaged spots, no need to replace that spindle. Also remember to check the small pilot bearing inside it, that's the one most neglected and the first to go.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:13 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
So I originally was going to use it but I thought about the seals on the back, I had the new one come in so I figured screw it I'll replace it and it gives me a chance to change out the spindle seals. Well the seals were pretty much non existent so in my eye was still work replacing and replacing seals. I gave my old spindle to someone who has the machinery to clean it up so he said he will play around with it and get it to spec and give it back after.

All in all it's all back together.

So second thing now is that I can hear bear squeak for a few miles, I figured it goes away because the grease and everything warms up. So I think I may need to take apart the driver side and re-do bearings and clean everything, because I'm sure water go in there as well. At least I'm figuring water got in there as well and that's whats causing the bearings to squeak.