6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Today is the day........

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by System
Merry Christmas ... which vac to order as opposed to being without a job for the holidays....
This is zero help to you, but since you mentioned vacuum, I bought one of these on Saturday b/c I'm tired of wheeling my big shop vac and extension cord out of the garage to clean cars. Our car interiors were suffering b/c we live in urban hell now and I don't have a 3 car garage to store my stuff in....garage jenga sucks.

Anyway, I hemmed and hawed. The M18 standard model was $99 bucks this month, but its still 2 gallons and quite big for just cleaning cars. I have a big / good shop vac for the big stuff. The specs of this M12 fuel are better than the M18 (not the fuel M18) and I'm very happy with how it cleans up. The 6ah battery, however, is good for about 30 minutes of continuous use.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:14 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 450 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
This is zero help to you, but since you mentioned vacuum, I bought one of these on Saturday b/c I'm tired of wheeling my big shop vac and extension cord out of the garage to clean cars. Our car interiors were suffering b/c we live in urban hell now and I don't have a 3 car garage to store my stuff in....garage jenga sucks.

Anyway, I hemmed and hawed. The M18 standard model was $99 bucks this month, but its still 2 gallons and quite big for just cleaning cars. I have a big / good shop vac for the big stuff. The specs of this M12 fuel are better than the M18 (not the fuel M18) and I'm very happy with how it cleans up. The 6ah battery, however, is good for about 30 minutes of continuous use.
I've got DeWalt's version of their 20V shop vac. I love it for small clean-ups and for use in the cars. It works great! It has the added advantage of a cord in the event all your batteries are dead. I can use it to inflate the inflatable kayaks too, so a pretty versatile tool. I haven't brought myself to use it on my Traeger, though, as I don't want to get the nozzle filthy!

Old 12-22-2020, 06:28 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
Sounds like battery vacs are a pretty cool new thing fellas. I still have my old 6 gallon shop vac in the garage that I bought when I was 20. It is a pain to use on my truck being as tall as it is. Perhaps a Milwaukee battery unit would be a nice edition to the red fleet if I can find some dust bags for the old shop vac and repurpose it to the basement for cleaning out the wood stove. In reality, I wouldn't be vacuuming anything unless the furnace is shut down and cold so the fire resistant aspect to the ash vac is really not necessary... Hmmm.... Options are good...

Old 12-22-2020, 09:43 AM
System
Prolocutor
Hey Tyler, remember when I bought my two Husqvarna gas saws back about 2 years ago? At the time we were discussing the electronically controlled carbs that both Husky and Stihl were using. I mentioned that Stihl was working on EFI and you thought it would be a ways out. I hadn't looked lately but I guess it came out this year... and then Covid shut down the supply chain. So, there are some out there in the wild and I'm sure more to come next year. I wouldn't mind one with a 28" or 32" bar... Maybe you already knew this but thought I would post up on it so you could check it out: Stihl 500i

Old 12-22-2020, 12:02 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 229 Likes on 133 Posts
Have any of you guys had problems getting air in the fuel system after changing the fuel filters? I changed mine last night and have an air leak somewhere. I have tried the following.
1. No visible cracks in the frame mounted filter cap, but I changed it for a new one.
2. Tried a different o-ring, though the new one in there had no evidence of damage.
3. Made sure to tighten the cap all the way to the stop.
4. Installed another engine bay canister filter and made sure the fittings are secure.
These are OEM filters
I’m at a loss. I’ve reinstalled the frame mounted filter probably 5 or six times. I cycle the key like 10 times but hear it gurgling.

any ideas?

Old 12-22-2020, 12:22 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 516 Likes on 174 Posts
Mine will still gurgle a bit after 6 key cycles, but I just start it up at that point and let it idle for 5-10 minutes while I clean up. If there's a leak you'll know by then. If it don't run at all then there's a big suction side leak.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:22 PM
System
Prolocutor
Lee, did you actually start the truck? I always still have a little gurgling after the 10 key cycles but the truck still fires right up when I start it.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:59 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
I did 10 cycles then started it. It fired up then shut right down and wouldn’t start back up. Since then I have tried to start it twice with no luck. Each of these has been after changing something then doing a bunch of KOKO cycles.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:10 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Ok, I got it going! Not sure what the magic was, but it could’ve been just getting positive vibes from my FTE brothers. I think maybe I was getting too caught up on the gurgling sounds, which I haven’t noticed previously, after a bunch of priming cycles. I did one last cleaning of everything (used a q-tip to get the o-ring groove all the way around) and installed another o-ring. I let it crank longer and it fired up.

Thanks guys! I posted on Rodney’s thread because I knew that was the best chance to get a quick, helpful response. It may not seem like much, but the fact that Rodney and Chad both commented on having gurgling, after cycling, made me let it crank longer.

im not sure how many times I’ve done this maintenance over the past 8 years, but this one was definitely different.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:21 PM
System
Prolocutor
Wow, glad to hear it's sorted Lee. I do wonder what caused the one off situation but oh well... as long as it's OK that's all that matters...

Old 12-22-2020, 01:51 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Rodney, I’m not sure what it was, but my guess is trash in the o-ring groove. On the 2015-16, there is a structure around the filter housing that makes it difficult to see/access about 60* of the groove. After doing everything over, I think I just didn’t let it crank long enough. Funny thing is, I have friends with Ford diesels that always call me when they have an issue. Today I wondered “who do I call?” The FTE brothers, of course.

BTW, this week is driving me crazy. I’m off work, so I have all of these projects planned. Saturday I broke a tie rod on my tractor, which shut me down. I located a part 1 1/2 hours drive away. Since there’s a small municipal airport near there, I was going to fly there Monday, to get my part, cutting the time in half, but the weather was poor, so I ended up driving, which pretty much killed the day. Then This truck issue killed a bunch of time. Hopefully I’ve paid my dues and can get on with my projects.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 516 Likes on 174 Posts
Glad your up and running Lee.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:33 PM
System
Prolocutor
Have any of you guys tried ear protection with bluetooth? I just ordered the 3M WorkTunes ones. Going to give them a try for long days splitting or mowing the lawn. I'm not sure they have enough DB reduction for cutting, splitting or chipping but we'll see. I figure I can listen to talk radio to pass the time while I work. My regular ear protection are 34db cut and these are only 24db.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:26 PM
elee3
Fleet Mechanic
Rodney, I have had the work tunes for 4-5 years and have been really happy with them. I use the radio function most of the time. The best thing is that when the ear pads wore out I called 3m and they just sent replacements free of charge.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:26 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I use the ***** out of my 3M WorkTunes earmuffs for everything. Chainsaw, mowing, weedeating, backpack blowing etc. I've been plenty happy with the 24db of reduction, but maybe you may want to wear double protection if you want things super quiet.

I've had mine for 4 years. It's time to replace the ear cups b/c the plastic has cracked and is falling apart.

Quick Reply: Today is the day........