Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Check engine light, no code, blank odometer and trip counter on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:35 PM
rbolanos01
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light, no code, blank odometer and trip counter on cold start

New here. Hoping I can get some help here. I have a 2005 Sport trac, just recently, I started my truck and my check engine light was on and my trip counter and odometer went blank, not off, just dashes going across the panel. I recall noticing that my rpms were a little high. I turned off the truck and restarted and after a few minutes it came back to normal. Check engine light went off and my miles were displayed again.
A few days later, it happened again, except this time the rpms were normal, just the dashes and check engine light. I happened to have an obd II with me and I immediately scanned it for any codes. NONE. Few minutes later, back to normal. Scanned again, NOTHING.
Its been happening more frequently now, every time i turn on the truck when its been sitting for a while. Like I said, it takes about 3 minutes or so and it goes away. Nothing unusual happens during this time. Motor sounds fine and runs smooth.
A friend who is a mechanic told me that it could be a ground cable for the COIL? that could be loose or damaged? He said its more than likely a ground because it happens when its cold and takes time to warm up and goes away. That if it was a hot it would happen all the time.
I have searched online for something similar and have found similar problems but no exact match.
I just changed the motor about a week ago. I had problems with the timing chain and broken oil pump. Due to the amount of damage, cost and time to repair and amount of miles on the truck (180K) I decided id be better off putting in a new(used) motor with 67K miles in half the time for labor. I dont think this makes a difference though, because the first incident happened about a week before the truck broke down and the second about two days before. So Im guessing that the change of motor has nothing to do with it.
Sorry for the long post, just hoping I can throw enough info out there and get some help fast so I can get some peace of mind.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,597 Likes on 1,302 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

What brand & model scanner do you have?

IIRC I think I read here that non-Ford scanners won't read transmission problems. That could be a possible.

Just a thought. But let us know about the scanner and a more informed response may pop up.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:15 AM
rbolanos01
New User
Already I don't like the sound of this. No offense, but I hope you're wrong. I actually tried it with 2. I have a cheap one a friend of mine gave me that works with your smart phone. Picks up on the basic stuff, works with Android app "Torque ".
The other one is a friends' it's an Audel Creader Professional CRP123. Not too sure about the quality or reliability, but it's definetly better than mine.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
If the issue were with the transmission, and a transmission diagnostic code were set, it more than likely would not trigger the check engine light. Instead your OD Off light would flash. Some models might have a yellow gear shaped indicator that comes on.

But considering the issue you describe, I'd be more inclined to suspect a bad solder joint or possibly even a bad electrolytic capacitor in the instrument cluster processor. I've not had a 2005 instrument panel out to see if it is something that can be relatively easily inspected and repaired though.

-Rod

Old 03-06-2015, 09:18 PM
rbolanos01
New User
So something different happened today. I got in the truck, this time it wasn't a cold start. I had just driven about 40 miles home from Chicago. I made a stop at a store and when I got back in the truck. It happened again. I had a 5 mile drive home and again no mileage or trip counter, check engine light. Except, this time, my speedometer and rpm guage didn't move from 0. I immediately connected the scanner to check for codes and again, nothing. I checked the live data and the scanner did display my current speed and seemed to be right on the money. But my guages stood frozen. I got home, turned off the truck, scanned the truck again with only key in ignition, truck not running, and still, no codes. Turned off and removed key, started it back up, actually started it, and everything was back to normal. RPM's were at about 800 on idle, mileage and trip were back on, and check engine light was gone.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:00 AM
rbolanos01
New User
[QUOTE=shorod;15151296]If the issue were with the transmission, and a transmission diagnostic code were set, it more than likely would not trigger the check engine light. Instead your OD Off light would flash. Some models might have a yellow gear shaped indicator that comes on.

But considering the issue you describe, I'd be more inclined to suspect a bad solder joint or possibly even a bad electrolytic capacitor in the instrument cluster processor. I've not had a 2005 instrument panel out to see if it is something that can be relatively easily inspected and repaired though.

Thanks for your response. So think that replacing the processor would eliminate the problem? Also considering my latest experience with the speedometer and rpm guages Now?

Old 03-07-2015, 11:23 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
You probably can't get just the instrumentation processor. It probably comes as part of the whole instrument cluster. I'm not sure if there is programming involved in that. Before investing in an instrument cluster though I'd suggest you remove the cluster and carefully inspection the connections and any visible solder joints.

-Rod

Old 03-10-2015, 04:55 AM
Askye
Junior User
Originally Posted by shorod
You probably can't get just the instrumentation processor. It probably comes as part of the whole instrument cluster. I'm not sure if there is programming involved in that. Before investing in an instrument cluster though I'd suggest you remove the cluster and carefully inspection the connections and any visible solder joints.

-Rod
I believe you would need to replace the entire cluster which can get costly, Unless you get one used.

I have seen this issue before, what I have observed was cause by a lose wire connection in the back of the cluster its self. That MAY or may not be the cause for this particular problem but if you can get to the back of the cluster with minimal frustration I would check the wire connections and the connectors themselves (the wires sometimes come lose in the connectors). If you can locate it I would check the wire connections at the GEM as well.

Hope that helps

Old 04-13-2015, 09:51 PM
rbolanos01
New User
05 Sport Trac with too many issues. HELP!!

So here's an update, I still havent gotten a chance to take off the instrument panel to inspect it. Other issues have come up and become a priority. It turns out that its not just the mileage counter acting up now, my speedometer seems to get stuck as well. Usually on cold starts, but not necessarily always on cold.

Today as a matter of fact, I drove it for about 10 miles without speedometer working, then came on for about 15-20, and then went off again for about 5 miles more and back to normal again.

My fuel guage kept going down to E (I had about a 1/4 tank) every time I came to a stop.

I have a brand new alternator, starter and battery, all less than two months old. Yet, my battery is dead 60% of the time when I go to start it in the morning or after work. I made sure I unplugged anything that could be draining it including my remote start and still does it.

Im am also now currently dealing with drive shaft seals which have failed and in the process of repairing them, I had gear oil leaking on 3 wheels and the oil level was obvioulsly low. I read on a forum earlier this week that your speedometer is somehow linked to your differential but havent found anything online to back that up. Im curious as to wether there may be an answer to my guages not working.

I know its a lot to throw out there but i figure the more the better. Please help, any info is a good start.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:03 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I'm less familiar with the Sport Trac as to when they moved to independent rear suspension. If your 2005 has IRS, then you need to find out if your ST has AdvancTrac or RSC versus just ABS. If just ABS, then there is likely a single rear wheel speed sensor mounted in the rear differential. If you have AdvancTrac or RSC you will have a 4-channel system with a wheel speed sensor at each wheel.

Or you can check for wheel speed sensors on each of the rear axles. If you have them, then there won't be one in the rear differential.

-Rod