1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Carb'd or EFI

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:54 AM
ColeT24
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb'd or EFI

I recently bought a 1987 302 out of a fox body, but the guy wasn't willing to part with some of the harnesses. I got the motor cheap and I just want the cheapest and easiest installation at this point until my funds are well enough to get these harnesses. What's invloves in switching the motor to carburated besides intake and carb?

Old 03-04-2015, 12:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A fuel pump eccentric and mechanical fuel pump or go electric pump, regulator, etc.

Old 03-04-2015, 02:21 PM
MarkinTexas
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
A fuel pump eccentric and mechanical fuel pump or go electric pump, regulator, etc.
Also the (TFI) distributor...

Old 03-04-2015, 03:35 PM
ColeT24
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
What would you recommend? Is there a difference in reliability or performance between electric and mechanical fuel pumps? In-line or in tank? Because I still have the good ole gas tank behind my seat

Old 03-04-2015, 03:36 PM
ColeT24
Senior User
Originally Posted by MarkinTexas
Also the (TFI) distributor...
So basically any pre '85 302 distributor?

Old 03-04-2015, 04:32 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
1985 Mustang 5.0L engine was the last year in them for carburetion and non-TFI (Thick Film Ignition) distributor.

An '87 Mustang 5.0L engine will have a reverse rotation water pump. You would have to have the Mustang radiator cooling fan or one with the blades reversed pitched from what your stock fan blade pitch is. Otherwise, the fan will be blowing back towards the radiator. A stand-alone electric fan would be another option to delete the mechanical engine-driven cooling fan altogether.

An '87 5.0L engine will not have an opening on the left side of the front cover to mount a mechanical fuel pump so, a mechanical fuel pump eccentric will be of little use, unless you swap the front cover out for an earlier cover that's designed for mounting a mechanical pump.

I don't know if the stock engine in your truck runs and I'm not clear if you intend to go fuel injection or carburetion (?) If the stock engine does run, I would just run it until I had everything gathered to swap the EFI engine over into the truck, rather than pull EFI components off the 5.0L engine and put older (carburetor) components on it just to have to swap it all back around again, later on --if your intent is to go fuel injected.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
ColeT24
Senior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
1985 Mustang 5.0L engine was the last year in them for carburetion and non-TFI (Thick Film Ignition) distributor.

An '87 Mustang 5.0L engine will have a reverse rotation water pump. You would have to have the Mustang radiator cooling fan or one with the blades reversed pitched from what your stock fan blade pitch is. Otherwise, the fan will be blowing back towards the radiator. A stand-alone electric fan would be another option to delete the mechanical engine-driven cooling fan altogether.

An '87 5.0L engine will not have an opening on the left side of the front cover to mount a mechanical fuel pump so, a mechanical fuel pump eccentric will be of little use, unless you swap the front cover out for an earlier cover that's designed for mounting a mechanical pump.

I don't know if the stock engine in your truck runs and I'm not clear if you intend to go fuel injection or carburetion (?) If the stock engine does run, I would just run it until I had everything gathered to swap the EFI engine over into the truck, rather than pull EFI components off the 5.0L engine and put older (carburetor) components on it just to have to swap it all back around again, later on --if your intent is to go fuel injected.
It does run, it's a 240 i6. I'm confused on what harnesses I need to get this thing functional and ready to run. I know I need the year specific computer, and that's about it. What other harnesses do I need?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:18 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ColeT24
It does run, it's a 240 i6. I'm confused on what harnesses I need to get this thing functional and ready to run. I know I need the year specific computer, and that's about it. What other harnesses do I need?
What transmission do you intend to run? -- standard or automatic?

An A9L Mass Air EEC-IV engine processor is designed for a manual transmission. An A9P is designed for an automatic transmission.

This is my A9P EEC-IV Mass Air Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection engine processor.

First fuel injected engines in the Mustangs was 1986. '86-'88 Mustang 5.0L engines had Speed Density controlled engine processors. 1989-1993 Fox Mustang 5.0L engines had Mass Air engine processors --1988 California-built 5.0L Mustangs were the first to get Mass Air.

Any engine modifications can be made to Mass Air controlled engines. Speed Density is not very compatible with engine changes. A non-Mass Air engine can be converted to Mass Air control.

To run Mass Air, you need a ('89-'93) Mass Air EEC-IV processor, engine wiring harness, all engine sensors, transmission VSS, Mass Air meter, inertia switch, fuel pump relay etc.

If you can find one Mustang to source all the needed wiring and components from, it will be much simpler than trying to piece-meal the parts from various donors vehicles.

This is really not a difficult swap to do but, it's something that's too lengthy to try and explain, here, every detail of what's needed to do this swap.

You'll just have to take the time to research/read before doing a fuel injection swap, so you understand what the components do and what all is required to make the swap.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
If you're going to go fuel injection, with Ford fuel injection components, this is about the best piece of literature on the subject I can recommend to you.

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF...18%3B260%3B337

I bought a copy of this book in 1995 when I decided I wanted to fuel inject my '68 Mustang. It will explain the history of Ford fuel injection, the operation of the system, what the sensors/components do, individually, and how they work together, collectively.

I would advise to get a copy of this book and read/study it BEFORE rushing out and buying parts. You need to first understand the system in order to know what you need and how to make it all work.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:13 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
I have this 26 page Ford EFI installation manual too (Ford document number ISM-12071-C302). It took a little searching online to find it but, it should help you with your conversion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qsJL_7CBFVlSfA

Old 03-04-2015, 06:27 PM
ColeT24
Senior User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
I have this 26 page Ford EFI installation manual too (Ford document number ISM-12071-C302). It took a little searching online to find it but, it should help you with your conversion.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...qsJL_7CBFVlSfA
I appreciate your help, the aod that came with it I was told is missing reverse and shifts awful. The motor Is speed density, being an 87. The three on the column is what I have in the truck, does t85 sound correct? The light duty 3 speed

Old 03-04-2015, 07:33 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ColeT24
I appreciate your help, the aod that came with it I was told is missing reverse and shifts awful. The motor Is speed density, being an 87. The three on the column is what I have in the truck, does t85 sound correct? The light duty 3 speed
I'm not certain what the designation for the manual 3-spd. transmission would be. It's probably a light duty Top-Loader.

Currently, my '69 F100 Ranger has its stock 240 engine and C-4 3-spd. automatic transmission.

I have a complete 5.0L H.O. fuel injected engine from a (totaled) 1990 Mustang GT. I bought the whole '90 GT (what was left of it) and removed the complete engine, T-5 manual transmission, cruise control servo/control module, ALL of the wiring, engine processor, etc., from the Mustang and scrapped the beat up hull. I gave $500.00 for the whole car (the engine alone would be worth that, or more).

This was in late 2000 or early 2001. Prior to this, I was trying to piece-meal components from various Mustang 5.0L LX/GTs. --this is why I say if you can find a complete vehicle to get everything from, you'll be time and dollars ahead and you'll have all the major pieces you need to make the swap.

My original plan for the engine was to make a 331 fuel injected stroker out of it and put it in my '68 Mustang. In 2011 though, the F100 came along and I decided I would rather have the fuel injected engine in my truck, to replace the 240 inline six.

Since I bought my truck, my uncle had given me an early '70s 351W so, now it's a decision of whether I'll install the fuel injected 5.0L Mustang engine or, transfer the fuel injection parts over onto the 351W (?) -- I have a 5.8L GT40/Lightning lower intake that the GT40 upper induction components from the 5.0L will swap over onto the 351W with.

1990 Mustang GT 5.0L donor engine. This is when I had the 'Cobra' upper intake on it. The 5.0L engine initially had the stock EFI 5.0L upper/lower intakes on it when I bought the totaled '90 GT to get the engine from.

When I got the tubular Ford GT40 upper intake. --everything needs to be cleaned/bead blasted/painted but, I have all the parts for the engine.

The C-4 in my truck will be replaced with a Ford 4R70W (electronic shift) 4-spd. overdrive automatic transmission from a 1998 3.8L Mustang. This transmission was the latest, greatest evolution of the old Ford AOD. (produced from 1993-2004 --'98-up 4R70Ws are the best versions of this transmission). A 4R70W from a 3.8L Mustang, 4.2L Ford truck or a 5.0L Explorer will bolt up to any Ford engine with a 'Windsor' bell pattern. A 4R70W from a 4.6L engine will not bolt up to a 'Windsor' engine block.

I've gathered most of the tools and parts to rebuild this transmission. I made a holding fixture to support the transmission on an engine stand, to make it easier to rebuild it, when the time comes.