ICP Spike when cold (AE data)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 08:47 AM
AmericanMade
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICP Spike when cold (AE data)

Hey guys,

So my truck has been very noisy now that it's gotten cold (10-12* out here in Ohio). The injectors seem to cackle way more than they used to (as the engine oil temp increases, the noise gets less and the cackle reduces). I recently replaced all the GPs (had 2 dead ones) and that helped with the moderately cold starting white puff of smoke (20* up). When I started the truck yesterday at work after sitting in 12* temps all day, she started fine, small puff of white smoke then little blue haze for a few minutes. Once the EGT's got up the blue haze went away (5-ish minutes of high idle).

So now leads me to my question. Every now and again, when I first set off (truck has been high idling for 5-10 min), I'll be driving off and when the truck gets under a load (like going up a hill), the injectors will about double in loudness and the ICP will spike up (I can see it on my HPOP gauge). My throttle position won't change, just ICP increases. It actually scared me one time it was so sudden (and loud).

I ran AE this morning and caught it doing it (see attached image below).

So what causes this? Is it the nature of the trucks when cold? I have Rotella 15w-40 (about 1000 miles on it). Level is full mark. I have good fuel pressure, 65-70psi at idle. Truck does not burn any oil. I have AE so I can get any other data needed.

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks!
-Jon

Last edited by AmericanMade; 01-06-2015 at 08:49 AM. Reason: added fuel pressure values
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since you have AE, log as much and as many critical data points as possible while trying to duplicate the ICP spikes. There are many on here who can interpret the data better than I can. Having stated that, the more data that you can collect the better.

Could some of you other guys weigh in on the pertinent data points.

I also have an e99 and was experiencing the same or a similar issue so I will watch your thread and try to help if I can.

Edit: Is there pertinent info missing from the graph? What is the MAX PSI during the spike? What is the IPRDC% prior to and during the spike? RPM?

Last edited by jhl3; 01-06-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Trouble reading the graph
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AmericanMade
Hey guys,

So my truck has been very noisy now that it's gotten cold (10-12* out here in Ohio). The injectors seem to cackle way more than they used to (as the engine oil temp increases, the noise gets less and the cackle reduces). I recently replaced all the GPs (had 2 dead ones) and that helped with the moderately cold starting white puff of smoke (20* up). When I started the truck yesterday at work after sitting in 12* temps all day, she started fine, small puff of white smoke then little blue haze for a few minutes. Once the EGT's got up the blue haze went away (5-ish minutes of high idle).

So now leads me to my question. Every now and again, when I first set off (truck has been high idling for 5-10 min), I'll be driving off and when the truck gets under a load (like going up a hill), the injectors will about double in loudness and the ICP will spike up (I can see it on my HPOP gauge). My throttle position won't change, just ICP increases. It actually scared me one time it was so sudden (and loud).

I ran AE this morning and caught it doing it (see attached image below).

So what causes this? Is it the nature of the trucks when cold? I have Rotella 15w-40 (about 1000 miles on it). Level is full mark. I have good fuel pressure, 65-70psi at idle. Truck does not burn any oil. I have AE so I can get any other data needed.

Let me know what you guys think,

Thanks!
-Jon
Your RPM's don't go above 1800, ICP <1400psi, IPRDC <25%.

Am I missing something?