6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 Super Duty Active Regeneration Valve - Piston Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Powerstrokepat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wharrell
Has anyone on the forum had the Active Regeneration Valve Issue where around 30 seconds into active regeneration, the engine starts to violently shake apparently due to the pistons slamming the valves?

This issue was first known on 2011-2014 Super Duties and Ford's reply was that it 'was fixed' with the 2015 Super Duty with new valves. There is a TSB for the issue for only 2011-2014 Super Duties that instructs the engine to be torn down and the valves replaced, but to this date, there is no approved TSB for the issue for a 2015. The problem is, all cases where I have read that this was done, the problem simply comes right back.

I had a previous 2008 and a 2011 and never had this Active Regeneration Issue. My driving area, driving method and fuel suppliers are the same. The truck is 100% stock, not tuned and is taken care of per the book.

Question: Has anyone here had this issue on a 2015 that went along with having Ford tear down their new engine and replace the valves, and if you did, did it PERMANENTLY fix the problem?

If anyone wants to privately discuss this issue, send me a message and we can exchange contact information and talk separately off line.

Summary of Issue

Starting at 4100 miles, the truck started exhibiting an issue during Active Regeneration, where around 30 seconds into the Active Regeneration, if the truck is in 6th gear usually in lower rpms, the pistons and valves apparently slam causing the motor to violently shake.

There were 2 severe instances of this 4100-4400 miles, where both times, the truck was in 6th gear, flat road, around 45 to 50 mph and around 1100-1200rpm. These 2 instances were severe bucking of the engine causing the entire frame and vehicle to shake and were not mild engine knocks or vibrations.

After initially reporting the issue, I did isolation tests on the issue and discovered that if as soon as I receive the Active Regeneration Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaning Message, if I would put the truck in 5th or 4th gear to keep the RPMs around 1800 rpm - 2000rpm, the problem does not occur.

I have previously reproduced the problem by letting the truck coast down in 6th gear in regeneration mode to around 1100 rpm - 1200rpm and the issue would appear even though it was not appearing at higher RPM at the start of the regneration.

Since discovering I can prevent the issue by keeping RPMS high during active regeneration, I have been able to avoid the issue since 4500 miles except when I have attempted to reproduce it for the Flight Recorder Data. I have also started removing 5th and 6th gear from the gear selection anytime when around town to keep the truck at higher rpms and hopefully higher Exhaust Gas Temperatures when around town to allow more passive regeneration.

The truck is driven 85% highway - 15% in town. The truck is not used for regular towing.

Truck is driven 75% of time on flat to rolling terrain around 700' - 1200' elevation and around 25% of time in NC Mountain terrain at elevations from 3000' to 6600'.

I always have driven each Active Regeneration to completion since the purchase of the truck to prevent an abnormal end to the active regeneration process. Only once have I had to cut the regeneration short.

Since the first day I owned the truck with the first regeneration, I have noticed the regeneration strategy is different on the 2015 compared to my previous 2015. My first and second regeneration with the truck new with all highway miles both took around 23 miles to complete. Since that time, most regeneration cycles are taking much longer on the 2015 running around 23 highway miles, however, occaisionally I will get a short one around 7 to 11 miles. If that occurs, it appears my distance to next regeneration is much shorter and I get another one within 125 or so miles. Most of my regenerations are spacing out around every 215 to 250 miles.

I always purchase my diesel from reputable high volume dealers.

I regularly use Ford PM22 Cetane Boost or PowerService Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost at slightly higher levels than the recommended additive amount for cetane boost.

Oil: Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic 5w-40w
Fuel Filter changed at 7900 miles.
No instance of activation of Water in Fuel Notification Light

The issue ONLY occurs during Active Regeneration and does NOT occur when the truck is not in Active Regeneration Mode. Truck runs fine at all other times and has never shown a Check Engine Light nor have any hidden stored codes been found on the truck.
I'm curious about what you say when in regen mode. On my 2014 when it is in regen mode it only flashes the alert for a couple of seconds so how do you know how long the regen lasts. You said it once lasted for 23 minutes? Does the 2015 system come back on to tell you when it is complete? BTW, I just got my truck back from the dealer from having the TSB done. The only bad thing I noticed was that my average mileage went from 14.8 down to 11.2?

Old 10-29-2016, 07:23 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi there first off it's a pretty old article as long as you have a 2014 you will never have this issue it only occurs in the 15 and 16 models and hopefully stopped at 17 LOL. Dealer told me the strategy for filter cleaning 15 16 was the problem only driver side would inject extra fuel so there's a flash to update your EMC to use both sides to add extra fuel . However if too much carbon built up on them they would replace those valves ,I had that done they decided to also replace the head after It still continue to exhibit the shutter. Happy to report now at nearly 40,000 miles no more issues for now . Basically it sounds like the 11 through 14 use both left and right Bank to inject extra fuel and not cause this issue. I don't know why they ever went to the driver side only couldn't get an answer from my dealer they're pretty sure that was the culprit I'm sure someone with a lot more knowledge will join in the conversation as you can see there's many post about it.
​​​​​​
On quick note back in December of 15 I actually bought the first 16 truck and didn't even get 700 miles and it did the shaking and bucking with the first exhaust cleaning. my dealer help me out and took the truck back and that's how I have this one ,it's kind of funny actually the truck second 16 never exhibited a problem until about 34,000 miles. I could have kept my first truck which I loved color black it just needed a ECM Flash which of course wasn't available then. So it makes you wonder was it just a carbon on the valves causing the problem or something else there's no way that new truck with 700 miles had a carbon problems?? take care

Old 10-30-2016, 12:01 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Actually, from the very first 6.7's to roll out of production, the regen has always used just the left cylinder bank for injection of fuel on the exhaust stroke. Page 81 of the 6.7 Diesel overview found in the 6.7 tech folder in this forum, offers a very good description of how the process works. It is from 2011, and not much has changed until the flashes for the 15's and 16's.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-man....7L_Diesel.pdf