6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Loosing Power & Pinging

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 AM
bar M
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loosing Power & Pinging

2011 F350 diesel with 10,000 miles. I have been experiencing problems with the truck loosing power, making rough running noise (pinging like an older diesel), and vibrating. As though the motor is bogging down. It usually occurs on small inclines or hills with the truck in higher gears and low rpms. It will also occur running on flat ground 65-70 mph. Had it occur once while turning the truck around in 1st gear and low rpms. Depressing the accelerator will bring the truck out of it. This problem occurs randomly sometimes a couple of times a week to not at all. Took to dealer and they found no codes and of couse it didn't do it on the hour long test drive I took the mechanic on. However they did say they had two other owners come in with the same complaints, but could not get trucks to repeat the issue. Problem ususally occurs in the hotter part of the day, maybe just coincidence. I had seen similar posts with this problem but no conclusions. Anyone experiencing this and have you had it fixed?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first I have seen this one...keep us posted so we can keep the knowledge base here up to date.

Regards

Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Champ198
Elder User
My truck almost, almost acts like that when going into regen. It will start this before the message flashes. (old fashion diesel sound, a slight change in the feel) I actually know it's going into regen before the message flashes. Often, I don't drive around long enough for it to complete a regen cycle as I live only 6 miles from work. Don't drive much around town during the week so it has to keep trying to regen. I'm not saying this is what yours is doing but it seems to fit what I've noticed.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:24 PM
lkbrow1
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Had similar problem, was partially clogged fuel filters caused by rust particles in fuel. Changed filters and was good to go.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 PM
johnc2
New User
Having same problem, truck shudders and pings similar to "bar M"'s truck. Intermittantly and usually during regen when climbing uphills. Three trips to the dealer - same thing, tech drives it and it doesn't happen. No codes. Read another forum where he changed the fuel filters twice before it solved the problem. Guess that's the next step to try since it has to be some weird thing that won't throw a code but causes the problem.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
A tank of dirty and/or older Diesel fuel from a low volume station, or a station that just received a Diesel fuel delivery and it stirred all of the rust, dirt and crap off of the bottom of the stations storage tank, could easily clog the fuel filter(s).

I recall posts in the 6.0 Forum of guys having issues related to clogged fuel filters long before they were due for replacement. Not a bad idea to replace both fuel filters and take it from there.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
While the fuel filter kits are expensive for two filters, it's a cheap way to solve a possible issue and at least eliminates those from the equation.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
johnc2
New User
I agree on that, and when you think about it, checking for a simple solution like dirty fuel filters should be a good place to start looking. Especially for an intermittant problem with shuddering and pinging under a load which seems fuel related. I guess with all the concern on TSBs and reflashes and all the computer codes to worry about everyone gets blindsided about looking for basic problems. Having my filters changed next Thursday. Hope I can post good news after its done!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM
johnc2
New User
sorry for the double post

Last edited by johnc2; 08-19-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: double post
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 AM
masters 1
New User
same issue

I have about 6500 miles on my 2011 and had it in for the new flash. tsb 11-4-21. It has been a lot better and took almost all the harsh shifting issues away. It has now created the problem discribed here with 5-6 gears fluttering and loosing power. I feel it is close as noted to the re-gen cycle or during re-gen. it will go away and run fine but is very noticable.

before the flash truck had more mid band power, now it is more across the board and not as much on the top end over 70. I will be watching to see if anyone come back with this issue. thanks.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
bbahls
New User
I am having the same problem with the stumbling. It has been going on since November. I have been at Ford atleast 4 times and they just keep reflashing it. It still does it. I have had a turbo code once, but only once and cant get it to come back. Getting very frustraded with Ford.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
masters 1
New User
ok another update! I went and checked a job site and the trip was about 10 minutes/ shut it off/ restart to head home and in about 5 min the cleaning exhaust flash popped up so i headed out for a drive. no problems during the entire drive. took it out and hit 70-75 with no flux in power or no 5th or 6th gear chatter or loss of power. this leads me to beleive it may be accuring before regen at higher speeds as it prepares to change the perameters. any thoughts? Dm

Old 08-21-2011, 04:38 PM
bbahls
New User
Masters 1,
The problem you are describing, sounds just like mine. Always stumbles before regen. Sometimes stumbles for 10 seconds, sometimes aslong as a minute. Everytime they reflash I lose almost a a mile a gallon. Now down to 15.6, way off the mid twentys when I first got the truck in Oct 2010. I have recently heard of a aftermarket system for $2700 that bypasses the regen completely, no urea, ave fuel mph of upper 20's with an additioinal 150 hp. Starting to sound pretty good.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:16 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually experienced this phenomenon this afternoon. I have always been able to tell when the truck is in regen due to a loss of power. Today the truck had been in regen for about 3 miles when I was cresting a decent hill at just about 50 mph and still in 6th gear. This put me just above 1000 rpm and I started to notice a vibration for lack of a better description. As I pressed the accelerator attempting to accelerate out of this the rumble got worse. Finally it shifted to 5th, got the rpm up and the rumble/vibration went away. It felt almost like a dead miss and sounded like detonation.

My theory on what I experienced was the low rpm lugging load created the perfect storm for the exhaust stroke fuel injection cycle to be ignited on perhaps the last cylinder which would be seriously out of time and lead to the 12:1 big block on 87 octane experience that I was having. It has been my observation that the regen cycle is much more efficient at higher rpm. Many times I will block out 6th gear during regen unless I am traveling on a highway. If I keep the rpm up during regen, I don't seem to experience regen as frequently.

I guess if I had a way to read rail pressure I could confirm the fuel filter theory. I am at 14,500 miles and have been planning on changing the fuel filters at 15,000 miles just like I always did on the 6.0. I get my fuel from the same source every time. In fact the truck has only seen 1 tank of fuel from a different source other than the first tank from the dealer. My fuel source is checked weekly for water and has a water separator filter on the pumps so I am not concerned about getting bad fuel. One of the 25 Macks would probably have a filter issue long before I would.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Originally Posted by 720Deere
I actually experienced this phenomenon this afternoon. I have always been able to tell when the truck is in regen due to a loss of power. Today the truck had been in regen for about 3 miles when I was cresting a decent hill at just about 50 mph and still in 6th gear. This put me just above 1000 rpm and I started to notice a vibration for lack of a better description. As I pressed the accelerator attempting to accelerate out of this the rumble got worse. Finally it shifted to 5th, got the rpm up and the rumble/vibration went away. It felt almost like a dead miss and sounded like detonation.

My theory on what I experienced was the low rpm lugging load created the perfect storm for the exhaust stroke fuel injection cycle to be ignited on perhaps the last cylinder which would be seriously out of time and lead to the 12:1 big block on 87 octane experience that I was having. It has been my observation that the regen cycle is much more efficient at higher rpm. Many times I will block out 6th gear during regen unless I am traveling on a highway. If I keep the rpm up during regen, I don't seem to experience regen as frequently.

I guess if I had a way to read rail pressure I could confirm the fuel filter theory. I am at 14,500 miles and have been planning on changing the fuel filters at 15,000 miles just like I always did on the 6.0. I get my fuel from the same source every time. In fact the truck has only seen 1 tank of fuel from a different source other than the first tank from the dealer. My fuel source is checked weekly for water and has a water separator filter on the pumps so I am not concerned about getting bad fuel. One of the 25 Macks would probably have a filter issue long before I would.
720deere, you hit the nail on the head with what I'm experiencing. Thanks for articulating it.

Quick Reply: Loosing Power & Pinging