Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Thump when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Phantom2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thump when stopping

I have an "01" Explorer Sport.I have a problem that is driving me crazy.Whenever I apply my brakes ( at the point where I come to a complete stop) I get a thump from underneath that I can feel in my seat.It's like momentum is keeping something going.I had something similar in another vehicle and it turned out to be a design problem in the gas tank baffles.Anyone else have something similar or a suggestion?

Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Thump when stopping

When your driveshaft slip-yoke needs lubricated, it will cause this feeling. It feels almost like someone taps you from behind just before you stop. The slip-yoke is under the black rubber cover at the front of your rear drive-shaft. Lubricating it is listed as routine maintenance in your Service Guide booklet that came with your Explorer. I don't lubricate mine nearly as often as is recommended since the recommended interval is around 6000 miles. I find mine needs it about every 30K before the bump comes back.

Old 07-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Phantom2
Freshman User
Thump when stopping

I am going in for an oil change soon and I will have the yoke checked.I will bring a copy of your reply with me to show the service manager.Thanks so much for your help.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Phantom2
Freshman User
Thump when stopping

reberhardt...just wanted to follow up on this post.I brought my 01 explorer sport to the dealer today for some minor service and brought with me your reply to my post concerning "thump" when stopping.The service advisor advised me that the yoke on my vehicle cannot be lubricated.Is this possible or is he BS'ing me?He did say this is sort of problem is common on rangers but that he had never scene this on an explorer.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:02 PM
devil421
Senior User
Thump when stopping

I know what the problem is. Its not the slipyoke. Actually its the teflon pads near the adjusting bolt for the torsion bars. Inside the housing where the torsion bar adjuster bolt is, is a teflon pad that protects the bar from hitting the frame. Those pads wear out over time and need to be replaced. The clunking is movement in the torsion bar when you stop. Replacement requires removal of the torsion bars so you need to get it done professionally (dealer). Hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2003, 05:48 AM
leon1718
New User
Thump when stopping

My 93 explorer did the same thing. Turns out the problem is the radius arm insulators, which are mushroom-shaped rubber bushings between the radius arms and a cross bracket on the frame. A tire shop here in town will replace them and align the front end for about $ 300. If you're adventurous, you can do it yourself. Check out Dr. Bob's Ford Explorer Maintenance Page for a step-by-step How-To.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:25 AM
devil421
Senior User
Thump when stopping

After 94, there are no more radius arm bushings on the Explorer platform. That would not be his problem.

Additional: Explorers have control arms and ball joints now.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:12 AM
reberhardt
Elder User
Thump when stopping

I've had both problems several times (kevlar torsion bar adjuster pads (they aren't teflon) and slip yoke). When the kevlar pads wear off to the point of getting metal to metal, you will have a clanking sound at all speeds over the slightest bumps. It won't just show up when you are coming to a stop. Many dealerships will tell you your slip yoke can't be lubricated. They are full of crap. The first time my '97 needed lubed at around 30K miles, my dealership lubed mine under my 36k warranty. The next time it needed it was around 55K. I removed the two quick connect clamps around the rubber boot covering the slip yoke, dropped the rear of the driveshaft by removing the four driveshaft-flange bolts and then slipped the driveshaft out of the yoke. Mine was bone dry. I put some white lithium grease per the specifications section in my '97 Owner's Manual and put everything back together using two hose clamps though instead of Ford's special one time use only clamps. When I finished, the thump was gone again. When it showed up again about 30K miles later, I checked the yoke again. It was again dry. I lubed it again, and the thump went away again for the next 25K miles. The thump showed up again about 5K miles ago. I again relubed my yoke and the thump is gone once again. The dealership that first lubricated my slip yoke did try several things before finally finding the slip yoke was the problem. They even turned my rotors twice, trying to claim that my rotors had rust on them that was causing it. When they finally determined that my slip yoke was the problem, they had my entire front end apart (according to the Service Advisor). He called me at work to tell me my slip yoke was dry as a bone and looked like it never got lubed from the factory. At the time, I thought that must have been why mine developed the thump. However, when I discovered that around 55K miles my slip yoke was once again dry as a bone, I realized that the lubricant was just wearing off and mine did likely get lubed from the factory since the initial problem didn't show up until I had 30K miles on it.

If your dealer isn't willing to lubricate your slip yoke, it really isn't very hard to do in your driveway. if you stil don't wan't to do it, I'm sure there are plenty of shops around that would be willing to do it. Figure on 1/2 - 1 hour of labor at the shop rate plus maybe a couple bucks for lubricant.

Your Service Guide will say to lubricate the slip yoke "if equipped". Well yours is equipped. Ford calls the lubricant "Premium Long Life Grease", specification # ESA-M1C75-B. Under Normal Duty, it is recommended to lubricate it at 5K miles and then every 10K after that. You won't need to lubricate it nearly that often. This information applies to my '97 and manuals, yours should be similar though.

Old 07-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Phantom2
Freshman User
Thump when stopping

I've got it back in the shop today..we'll see what happens.Thanks again for the reply.

Phantom2
Freshman User
Thump when stopping

I've got it back in the shop today..we'll see what happens.Thanks again for the reply.

Phantom2
Freshman User
Thump when stopping

Old 07-24-2003, 07:32 AM
devil421
Senior User
Thump when stopping

The one thing that makes me think its not the slipyoke is that he feels it through the floorboards under his feet which is exactly where the torsion pads are. Either way, both things are regular maintenance items that should be addressed.

Old 07-24-2003, 10:23 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Thump when stopping

If by chance it is the torsion bar adjusters, it is very easy to tell if they are anything like the condition mine were in. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold the torsion bar adjuster cover and take a look. If you see any material getting squeezed out like mine had, then there is likely metal to metal contact.

Old 07-25-2003, 07:32 AM
devil421
Senior User
Thump when stopping

What year is your Ex? Mine is a 99 and the pads look completely different.

Old 07-25-2003, 05:18 PM
reberhardt
Elder User
Thump when stopping

Mine's a '97. Starting in '98 Ford changed the torsion bar mount slightly. They now use a torsion bar isolator that is mounted to the vehicle instead of directly on the torsion bar adjuster like the '95-'97 have. The principle is still the same though. If on the '98 and up, the torsion bar isolator pad is destroyed the end rusult is the same (metal to metal contact).

Quick Reply: Thump when stopping