1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baffled by brake problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:24 PM
patrick huston
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baffled by brake problems please help

I have a 99 f450 4×4 I'm having brake problems. Without warning when I go to stop my peddle will go right to the floor and I can't stop, at other times I go to stop and the peddle is stiff and I have to put all I have in to it to stop. The abs light comes on and off occasionally at random but as the brake failure has become more and more frequent so has the abs light. Also my steering does seem a bit off, a little tough N jerky and the power steering pump is whining.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:47 AM
crock
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes

It sounds like your fluid may be low. Check that if not take to a good brake shop that has experience with that type of problem. Don't hesitate it could be dangerous.

Bob C

Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Brakes

DOUBLE ouch. Been there, my old ford tarsus had the same issue. It ended up being the master cylinder and vacuum assist

If your fluid is low/empty you have to find the leak. Which means pulling the tires and having a look see. Replace parts that are leaking. Then bleed the brakes

If master cylinder is full try bleeding your brakes.

If all that fails you will have to expand the search to other items. ABS module, Master cylinder, hydro boaster

My guess is a leak then a master cylinder then ABS module. Not sure what type of ABS module is on a 1999.

I assume its a diesel.

STOP DRIVING.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I have to agree with the others.
Park it till it's fixed.

Is this a diesel with hydroboost system?
If it is then the power-steering issue is
related. In that type of system the power
for braking is from the PS pump.

If you don't have a diesel then disregard the above.

Sean

Marry Christmas

Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 AM
patrick huston
New User
Originally Posted by patrick huston
I have a 99 f450 4×4 I'm having brake problems. Without warning when I go to stop my peddle will go right to the floor and I can't stop, at other times I go to stop and the peddle is stiff and I have to put all I have in to it to stop. The abs light comes on and off occasionally at random but as the brake failure has become more and more frequent so has the abs light. Also my steering does seem a bit off, a little tough N jerky and the power steering pump is whining.
I got it fixed it was the front driver side abs speed sensor. Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 PM
slpcth
Senior User
I got it fixed it was the front driver side abs speed sensor. Thanks for all the help.
For your safety I would still replace the master cylinder. A faulty ABS sensor will not allow a brake pedal to go to the floor. With no brake system leaks or faulty brake hydraulic parts, a brake pedal that goes to the floor intermittently or once is a sure sign that the master cylinder will fail completely in time. If I were you I would not feel confident that your brake issue is repaired and encourage you to please replace your master cylinder.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:14 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by slpcth

For your safety I would still replace the master cylinder. A faulty ABS sensor will not allow a brake pedal to go to the floor. With no brake system leaks or faulty brake hydraulic parts, a brake pedal that goes to the floor intermittently or once is a sure sign that the master cylinder will fail completely in time. If I were you I would not feel confident that your brake issue is repaired and encourage you to please replace your master cylinder.
I so agree. Don't assume anything when it comes to stopping something
that can weigh as much as 8K Lb empty or more depending out configuration.
Is a life worth the price of a new master cylinder?

Sean

Marry Christmas