Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much play in front hubs is acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:54 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much play in front hubs is acceptable?

I have been noticing a rumble since I was in heavy traffic trekking through Chicago a few weeks ago. I had the Warns open, 2wd set, and going 20-45 miles an hour. When pushing the throttle gently, it was the loudest. A rumble grumble, mostly a "bass" sound. Now that I am driving around town at home, typically 25-35 mph, it is still grumbly. Part throttle is worse.

Before the trip that took us ~1400 miles through Chicago, we had some pretty cold weather. There was an annoying squeak that would happen until it was "warmed up", but had nothing to do with the speed of the engine or really even over the road. It did not get faster with either of those, just a squeak like a hamster in a wheel. By the way, it was outside, not inside like the fan. With the window down it was much louder. Couldn't tell if it was from the front or back though.

Going back further, I had the "Clunk" that I have now decided was the slip joint in the drive shaft. When I had the trans out this summer, I had worked the joint back and forth, and it quit doing the clunk after reassembly.

So tonight, I greased the slip joint, greased the rear diff U-joint (no fitting on the one behind the trans) and it still grumbles. Almost sounds like the exhaust is making the noise, but still not sure.

So I have the hubs locked, transfer case in 2wd and turn the drive shaft. There is play, and it clunks back and forth, all the way to the U-joints at the wheels. There is also play on the axis of the hub when pushed with a large screw driver.

My question is "should the front drive train have much play in it, or should it be tight along with the hubs keeping the stub shaft completely still in a horizontal axis?"

Both sides were very similar, but I have no idea if the hubs have ever been replaced. The ball joints have grease fittings, and PO said she replaced them, but no mention of the hubs. If I have to do the hubs I will be doing the XRF Ball Joints too.

The other thing I wonder about is maybe I just need to do some R/R of the plugs and COPs. No codes, but who knows? It revs smooth in neutral, but the load might make the difference???

Thanks for the insight that I hope will follow.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 PM
kev03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was coming home from NC and got a crunch and then a grumble sound out of the left front could feel it in the floorboard. It was the hub that went bad. To check it take the wheel and brake caliper off and see if there is play in the bearings it should not give any.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:16 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Which one?

If it turns out to be the bearing, which one should I look for? Timken has been shot down by some recently due to outsourcing. Any opinions if it is the bearing?

Old 12-14-2014, 11:03 PM
kev03
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I could not give you a good idea as the dealer ones are made in china.
The bad thing for me was I have a set sitting in my garage and they were 500 miles away. were they fixed mine in NC they bought the best one from napa. It was made in china too.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
U Joints

So I have driven with the growl noise for a while longer. Went on a 7 hour round trip to look at an over priced Land Rover. On the way back, I started hearing things different than before. It was obvious that it was not on one side or another, but in the middle. Really couldn't pinpoint front or rear.

It started to make a difference on throttle vs off throttle. Finally got underneath it again and made the decision the rear U joint was going. It didn't flop, but there was grease coming out of one cap. I bought the 495 (turns out it was the big one) and 232 sizes from Napa since they were the best I could find local. (similar to moog parts based on design) Took off the driveshaft, and pressed out the U Joint attached to the differential.

The leaking cap had no bearings left in it. The end that was supposed to have a hole for lube was welded shut. Pretty sure that was the problem now. Changed out that one, but not the front. It was factory looking, where the rear had been changed out in the past.

The growl had gotten so loud on throttle it was nearly unbearable. So now when I drive, it is like a quiet luxury car.

So that is the end of my story. I will worry about hubs later, since they make no noise now. We are getting into the -15 and colder temps, so hopefully they will hold out until we get out of the deep freeze we are likely in for during the next month or so.