1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E350 ignition pains

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 11:59 PM
RangrDave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 ignition pains

My Father has a '93 E350 with the 5.8L. A few weeks ago he drove it to a friend's house and that was where it sat for a while. he replaced the starter...nothing. We tried new battery terminals(one was burnt)...still nothing. We replaced the solenoid...you guessed it, nothing. We "jumped" the solenoid to get it running finally. When driving, the speedo was all over the map. Now that it is back home, it is back to being more stubborn than he is. Is this an ignition switch, the key switch, or something more sinister? Please help folks. He's about to give us both a massive coronary

Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RangrDave
My Father has a '93 E350 with the 5.8L. A few weeks ago he drove it to a friend's house and that was where it sat for a while. he replaced the starter...nothing. We tried new battery terminals(one was burnt)...still nothing. We replaced the solenoid...you guessed it, nothing. We "jumped" the solenoid to get it running finally. When driving, the speedo was all over the map. Now that it is back home, it is back to being more stubborn than he is. Is this an ignition switch, the key switch, or something more sinister? Please help folks. He's about to give us both a massive coronary
Are we related? Sounds just like my dad!

Could be the start circuit from the ign switch. Does the solenoid "click" when starting? If not, ign switch or wiring. The erratic speedo makes it sound like a grounding problem somewhere? Corrosion at the ground strap connections maybe.
jim

Old 12-14-2014, 09:12 AM
RangrDave
New User
the solenoid does click, which is why we thought to change it and with it being $12 all the better. We checked the grounds and all that looked good but I'm going to see him today and we'll take another look.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:51 PM
crkrstf
New User
93 e350 460 engine. driving all of a sudden the starter engages all by itself. changed the key lock cylinder and the switch on the column under dash. turn the key and starter engages in RUN position and stays engaged. if I continue to turn key to start position the starter disengages. but I have to hold the key there to stop it from engageing. this vehicle is an RV and has been sitting for a while. climbed under to look at starter and looks like hasn't been changed ever. has 64k miles. COULD THIS BE THE STARTER MALFUNCTIONING IN SOME WAY OR IS IT ANOTHER ISSUE ELSE WHERE.? all wires are intact and connected, dry and not covered with oil or dirt. please help

Old 03-06-2015, 08:09 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it's a switch issue , not a starter issue from what you describe

Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem, but you should have posted this as a New Post.

Dog tagging on someone's else's post, it could be "Lost".

So, from what you write.......

My thought is, if you turn the key to start, and the starter stayed engaged, then I would say there was a problem with the Bendix in the starter (starter drive) and simple solution would be to replace the starter, specialty if it's OEM and at this age.

The problem you write about is the starter is engaging in the Run position of the key switch. That's a problem.
It could be the new column starter switch you installed??
It could be the connecting rod from the key switch to the starter switch. Likely.

I don't think it would be a wire problem, shorting out and/or bad ground wire.

As you turn the key, it pushes a rod down into the column starter switch, the starter switch has contacts inside to select which function is to be activated.

Another question is......did you install the correct column starter switch??
You would want the part the will match for a "cut-away" van.
If this is a RV with a Ford Van front clip. (and not for a stripped chassis)

One other thought, if this problem was present before you replace the key switch and the starter switch, is the Starter Relay, mounted on the back side of the radiator support, that could be sticking "Closed" and causing this problem, and when you turn the key to start, your "opening" the contacts.
Try this first.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:02 PM
crkrstf
New User
sorry this is my first forum so im not familiar with threads/replys etc....... how do I start a thread? YES its a rv with ford van front clip and YES I changed the starter relay mounted to the radiator support. and still doing same thing. I guess ill try to change starter tomorrow and see what happens. thanks for your input