1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

key sometimes doesn't engage starter

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question key sometimes doesn't engage starter

On my 1971 it is running great. Now---the key when turned isn't cranking the starter. I move the auto shifter a little,and finally-10mins later she starts. I have power to gauges on the left turn of the key. I figure the shift linkage needs adjusted,but how? It is a 302 with c4 automatic. I got her home,but this is worrying me,and want to start up every time.
I was told that the rubber gas line going to fuel filter which screws into carb is number 1 reason for these 302s to catch fire--bet that is what happened to mine--before I got it. thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If the starter spins without engaging the engine ring gear then the solenoid is likely weak or hanging.
If the engine starter doesn't turn over I'd suspect a misadjusted or defective neutral safety switch, a weak engine to chassis ground, or a bad solenoid. If wiggling the key while turning it makes the starter spin, then it could be the switch. (many an ignition switch has been worn out from hanging a heavy key ring from the ignition key)
You can easily pinpoint or eliminate the solenoid by jumping it with a pair of pliers. If the starter works each time you jumper it, then look elsewhere upstream for the problem.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks Ax! It just started this--and seems to be dead-and then out of the blue--vroom--engine will start. I have a new ignition switch handy-and already installed new solenoid. It is a joy to finally drive the 71 around and the duals sound great.
Must be the wiring. I want to buy a ezwire kit and have all new wires. thanks---how ya been feeling? I have been pretty bad lately--so must taake it easy for the big trip. Most likely won't take the 56--will take the new awd van I just bought. Bill

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I've been doing fairly well lately, raced for the first time this season last Sunday, found out how rusty I got over the layoff.
You take it easy and get better yourself!