Sponsored by:

Gas leak!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:08 PM
runs on dinosaurs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas leak!!

Hello all need your expertise here. I have a fuel elk coming from the fuel rail on top of an orange; what I can only assume is an injector? Fuel races out of it and puddles beneath the truck. I hate driving it cause now everything stinks like gas. I've tried pushing on it with no help. How hard would it be to fix this issue? Or how much would it cost to have some one else do it? Thanks for your help. I'm mechanically inclined but feel this may be beyond my skills

Old 12-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Gas or diesel? Need a little more info Also might want to finish filling out your profile so we know where you're located in case someone's local and can lend a hand

However... you said gas so I'll assume a Triton. If it's coming from an injector that means an O-ring has come apart/loose/broken and is causing the leak. If that's the case all you will need to do is pull the rail, remove the injector, replace said ring, then re-install. It's not stupid easy but you can fumble through it easily enough if you have time.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:42 PM
runs on dinosaurs
New User
It is a 2001 V10. Yeah I have to update that. Pull the fuel rail? I think I can handle that. Where's the best place to get injectors from? Also thanks for the reply.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Toss a pic or video up and I'll (we'll) be 100% able to verify the injector is the issue. I've never replaced a bad o-ring personally, I've only changed injectors on cars so I can't exactly tell you where to buy the new o-ring from. I do know however that Ford might be the best place. It HAS to be a fuel ring, and it HAS to be the EXACT size, a billionth of a micro-meter is all it takes for it to still leak. They all look the same up close but thickness and softness of the rubber all need to be taken into account. It's a PITA, so wait for someone else to chime in before moving forward on getting an o-ring first. You might... might, be better off replacing that injector all together depending on price. A new one will come with the ring already and in case there was an issue with the injector that helped cause this that is taken care of.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:58 PM
runs on dinosaurs
New User
Well I fixed it. wasn't to difficult. I don't know how to post pictures but if I could've I would've. Turns out there's 2 bolts on the fuel rail you basically just wiggle the rail until it releases from the tops of the fuel injectors and bam! Your in business, the o ring popped off the top of the injector which is weird. So I replaced the one injector and now runs without creating a environmental hazard. I do have a HUGE exhaust leak now right at the manifold......don't even want to know how much that's gonna run me but, it also looks like a cumbersome task. Thank you for all of your help so far. Much appreciated!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
How much did the O-ring run you, and where did you end up getting it? Part number?