1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 09:09 PM
mustangpt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake lights

I have a 65 ford f100 and recently my brake lights have not been working. When key is turned on my taillights come on rather dim even though the headlight switch is off. I replaced the headlight switch but the taillights are still dimly lit. The turn signals work but no brake lights and taillights are on whenever the key is on position. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 1 st time post so thanks for understanding.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Schuey
New User
I would check your Grounds. They seem to do funny things if not grounded properly

Old 11-13-2014, 04:53 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
mustangpt, Welcome to and the Slicks Forum.

The ign switch needs to be on for the brake lights to work when the pedal is pressed, but not if it isn't. The brakes and turn signals share the same wire and bulb filament. Tail lights are on a separate wire and circuit.

Check around the rear bumper area, see if there is a trailer light access wire setup back there. A lot of times that can be the culprit.

Bet it is not too complicated.

John

Old 11-13-2014, 06:16 PM
mustangpt
New User
Thanks John for tip. However I do not have any wiring set up for trailer lights or towing. I'll double check grounds but still curious as to why 2 wiring issues at same time. Wiring diagram shows turn signal switch as being connected to both brake lights and obviously turn signals as well as ignition switch. Short of replacing all 3 switches I guess I'll have to test those 3 circuits to see which one could be at fault. Also wondering if brake pressure switch on master cylinder could be culprit for brake lights not working. But I don't think this explains why taillights are on when headlight switch is off even when key is on.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:17 PM
mustangpt
New User
Originally Posted by Schuey
I would check your Grounds. They seem to do funny things if not grounded properly
Thanks Schuey I'll check those as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:33 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
1st and foremost; Welcome to FTE: As Schuey noted check the ground, found in many cases electrical gremlins can be traced back to faulty ground, a volt meter will be helpful. Had a similar experience and found the offset 2 pin taillight socket became corroded and effected the circuit, also verify the correct bulb is installed??

Posting a diag. link from 65 wiring manual:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...WireDiagP7.jpg

Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM
RustFreeBucket
Freshman User
Originally Posted by daveengelson
1st and foremost; Welcome to FTE: As Schuey noted check the ground, found in many cases electrical gremlins can be traced back to faulty ground, a volt meter will be helpful. Had a similar experience and found the offset 2 pin taillight socket became corroded and effected the circuit, also verify the correct bulb is installed??

Posting a diag. link from 65 wiring manual:
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/n...WireDiagP7.jpg
Thank you for posting that link, I have had the hardest time tracking down a rear light problem and I haven't been able to find that wiring diagram anywhere.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by mustangpt
Thanks John for tip. However I do not have any wiring set up for trailer lights or towing. I'll double check grounds but still curious as to why 2 wiring issues at same time. Wiring diagram shows turn signal switch as being connected to both brake lights and obviously turn signals as well as ignition switch. Short of replacing all 3 switches I guess I'll have to test those 3 circuits to see which one could be at fault. Also wondering if brake pressure switch on master cylinder could be culprit for brake lights not working. But I don't think this explains why taillights are on when headlight switch is off even when key is on.
It sounds like a back feed to me. No lights outside of the dash should come on when the ign. switch is turned on.

A fact, three wires go to the back of the truck along the drivers side frame rail. One is for the tail lights the other two are for turn signals and brake.

Many times there are prior wiring mangles in the rear bumper area that you may have missed if you have not given it a good inspection. Corrosion and bad grounds many times cause the issues that you mentioned.

John

Old 11-15-2014, 05:59 PM
thrifty
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Go to the brake light switch, pull the wire up on each terminal about 1/4 inch, leaving the wires on. Put a screw driver blade across both terminals it will by pass the switch. If it works the switch should be good. Check and make sure the bulbs are put in correct.(they will go in both ways but only one way is correct.) I would trace the complete harness the wire or wires could be chaffed. That exposed wire on the frame or other metal could be your problem. Make sure you have a ground strap from the cab to the frame. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:19 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by thrifty
Go to the brake light switch, pull the wire up on each terminal about 1/4 inch, leaving the wires on. Put a screw driver blade across both terminals it will by pass the switch. If it works the switch should be good. Check and make sure the bulbs are put in correct.(they will go in both ways but only one way is correct.) I would trace the complete harness the wire or wires could be chaffed. That exposed wire on the frame or other metal could be your problem. Make sure you have a ground strap from the cab to the frame. Good luck.
One is a hot wire, pressing the pedal opens the circuit for the elec. to pass through. You can also touch the hot one to the other and get the same results.

John

Old 11-26-2014, 06:34 AM
61 EFFIE
New User
Light Gremlins

+1 on faulty ground, spent a lot of time chasing suspects only to find the ground was not proper. UGH!!!

Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
ktnissen
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had to do a rewire on my tail lights, puzzled my head until I out, out of a lark, attached a home made grounding strap to a freshly sanded piece of metal. They work wonderful now, it was the sheild two wire style. There had been so much paint and rust on the frame that it wouldn't ground properly.

Old 11-26-2014, 01:17 PM
61 EFFIE
New User
awsome!

Don't you just love it when you figure something out on your own? and it Works! Congrats!

Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM
ktnissen
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just wished I would have figured it out 3 hours earlier. LOL