1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

removing the cap - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:08 AM
thugdrummer
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question removing the cap - suggestions?

I bought a nice Leer fiberglass cap with matching paint to go with my new bright red '00 XLT SC. Looks great. I can carry my drums and keep them dry and relatively 'secure'.

Problem is, some times I want to carry a load of topsoil, or a queen size mattress, or something that makes the cap a big inconvenience. And the thing's HEAVY. MY wife can't help me lift it, and I'm hard pressed to find anyone else when I want it removed. And of course it's a lot of dead weight to carry when there's nothing in the back.

SO, has anyone discovered or invented a good way to remove and store their cap? The best I've found involves hanging it from the garage ceiling, but I ain't got no garage. I've got an idea but it involves a lot of scrap metal and welding and ....

John

Last edited by Ken00; 07-16-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:02 PM
greenpus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a tonneau cover that has four sections to it and it folds up. Once folded it can be removed by one person.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend

How about a nice strong tree branch, rope, pulley and a dolly with large wheels.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:29 PM
thugdrummer
Freshman User

I don't want to replace the cap with something else. I'd just like to be able to get it on and off a little easier.

What I'm considering is to make a sort of crane (easier said than done) that will sit on my frame mounted hitch. I can then winch the cap up, and swivel the whole crane/cap around and lower the cap to the ground.

I've got some of the materials, and a cousin who'll weld it for me.The hard part is designing something that I know will work, won't break, and won't damage the truck or cap.

I've seen 'cranes' advertised on the web, but they alll seem to be overkill for my purposes, and a lot more money than I'm looking to spend.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:37 PM
thugdrummer
Freshman User

Ken -

I'd be happy w/ that sol'n but there's no trees where I can get to 'em near my house. I could build a permanent lift over the driveway, but it would become the centerpiece of our front yard and my wife would leave me.javascript:smilie(':\'(')
Cry

Old 07-16-2003, 04:37 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Talking removing the cap - suggestions?

Originally posted by thugdrummer
Ken -

I'd be happy w/ that sol'n but there's no trees where I can get to 'em near my house. I could build a permanent lift over the driveway, but it would become the centerpiece of our front yard and my wife would leave me.javascript:smilie(':\'(')
Cry
Well we know who the boss is in that house Just had to say it.
Make you 2 sawhorses the same highth as the top of the bed of your truck .Put them next to your truck silde the cap off or on.Just my .02 worth

Old 07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
FyreLyter
Senior User

That could work, with the sawhorses. Put some locking wheels on them and you can move the cap outta the way too.

My suggestion (not that it's better than anybody elses), build/buy a ramp and slide it down on to some moving dollys. Just use a rope for a ahand brake or something. Have fun!

I kinda have the same problem with my lumber rack. I take it off when I'm not going to use it for a while (saves on gas weighs a lot) but I just slide it off by myself. Plus diamon plate bed rail protectors help too...

Old 07-18-2003, 07:37 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Nothing is as cheap and easy as finding 3 other people and just picking it up and setting in on saw horses. I have my cap off and on a couple times a year. Make the boys in the band help. It might cost you a couple six packs. In my neighborhood, I just start knocking on doors to see who is home and can spare 5 minutes. I store the cap on plastic home depot saw horses that keep it up off the ground about 5-6".

Old 07-18-2003, 10:39 AM
thugdrummer
Freshman User

What I really need is a solution that allows me to do it myself. Most of my neighbors are retirees - the one to the left is undergoing chemo, the one to my right has a prosthetic leg - so they aren't much help in the heavy lifting dept. The nearest band mate is half an hour away.

The saw horse/ramp idea *might* work. But I think I'm gonna go ahead with the hitch mounted hoist. If I do it right, I can carry it with me in the bed, and I'll be able to take the top off wherever I am.