1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

5.4 swap and torque conveter problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 swap and torque conveter problems

Ive done a bunch of looking around and cant find anything that fits my problems.
I have a 98 f150 4x4 that had a 4.6l rod bearings locked up, i just got done swapping in a 5.4l from a 99 expedition. i followed all the information i could find on the web (mainly fte) i completed the switch this morning, but have 2 issues, really big issues.

first is in the flywheel torque converter area, i am keeping my 4r70w trans so i decided to use the 4.6l starter. Wrong!! i thought it was a bell housing issue to fit the nose cone that the 4.6 has. turns out the 5.4l flexplate hits the starter. so i switched, but had to swap the starter mounted solenoids sue to a broken bolt. got two starts out of it. then it died and turning key only clicked the firewall start solenoid. I was to the parts store and bought a new starter, wasnt gonna change it ever again. solved that problem.
after geting the starter solved i fired it up, and it made a bunch of racked, like a misfire or knock, hard to explain, cooudlnt find the issue until i tried moving the vehicle. the noise has subsided a bit but when i put it in 4 low driver or reverse it takes 4000 rpm to get it to try and roll. Is there a special way to install a torque converter?? i just slipped it on and wiggled until it slipped on. since the underlying eninge tone is so perfect im thinking my noice is from TC since i have no power. is it is it easy to kill a TC? I used the TC from the expedition. everywhere i read on the web says the 4.6l pcm will run the 5.4 but i dont think it a pcm issuse. also anyone know if the expy is a low or high stall?

2nd isssue, i saw the 5.4 run for a bit in the original vehicle. now while running i have a plume of white smoke. My other 98 4.6 has a bad intake gasket bleeding coolant into a cylinder. I just put new intake gaskets on the 5.4L so i would hat to think that there is a leak in one. I know it could be head gasket or cracked head, but knowing it worked before leaves me puzzeled. constant white smoke after 15 min of idle would burn out any water from all the time all parts have been sitting. coolant bottle doesnt go down much if at all. And the otehr puzzler is the upper radiator hoseis soft, feels empty. getting raher frusterated. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:32 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
As for issue #1, the torque converter should click in three times as you are putting it in. Sounds like it isn't in far enough and not properly on the input shaft.

#2 is it a lot of smoke and not condensation from the cats and pipes?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
My friend, reading your post leaves me with a feeling you got yourself into a big mess.
I suspect you lunched your transmission with that converter such that you tore up the front transmission pump as soon as you started the motor as the reason it will not move the truck and there is the noise.
This won't show up as any code because it's mechanical.
It has to all come apart, then go from there to address all the issues of damage and in-compatibilities there may be..
I'm sorry there is no answers to get you out of it easy.
I gave you the best I feel has happened but it's not what you hoped to hear.
You should have never tried a swap without 'absolutely' knowing what to do.
Good luck.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 AM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
My friend, reading your post leaves me with a feeling you got yourself into a big mess.
I suspect you lunched your transmission with that converter such that you tore up the front transmission pump as soon as you started the motor as the reason it will not move the truck and there is the noise.
This won't show up as any code because it's mechanical.
It has to all come apart, then go from there to address all the issues of damage and in-compatibilities there may be..
I'm sorry there is no answers to get you out of it easy.
I gave you the best I feel has happened but it's not what you hoped to hear.
You should have never tried a swap without 'absolutely' knowing what to do.
Good luck.
I understand there is damage, and wasnt expecting a finger snap to fix the problem, just wanted to know where to look.
as far as knowing absolutely what to do, i have read hours of forum info and got everthing converted easily, just one step i didnt see any info on. i figured it had to be on if everything went together to easily. it was probably the easiest lineup ive ever had. as far as incompatabilities ive read and addressed them all so far, noone states which starter to us.
Im not an idiot ive torn down many engines, i think my doing it in my garage and hour here hour there approach hindered me a bit.

back to constructive question, if it is the pump, what entails replacing that?
one would say the TC is fine, just the pump?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 AM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by LxMan1
As for issue #1, the torque converter should click in three times as you are putting it in. Sounds like it isn't in far enough and not properly on the input shaft.

#2 is it a lot of smoke and not condensation from the cats and pipes?
could be condensation, but i think its ecessive, im gonna take it for a drive before i takle that issue. need to get it rolling first, but thanks for the optimism

Old 10-19-2014, 09:56 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What trans was in the Expedition? Did the bell housing meet up to the engine easily or did you pull them together with the bolts?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:49 PM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
What trans was in the Expedition? Did the bell housing meet up to the engine easily or did you pull them together with the bolts?
the expy had a 4r100. but i used my old 4r70w. i saw a rightup about making that swap, a little more than id like to do.
i really considered it before, and now with a blown pump im looking back into it. my biggest hurdle would be drivshafts, i had the front expy shaft but not the rear, and id think it would be cheaper to find a used one than have mine shortened enven though im freinds with a driveshaft shop.

I left my trans in the truck, and dropped the motor into it. it went togther and i was able to hand shimmy it until is was just on the dowel pins. i figured i was good only sucking it together less than a half inch.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
So you used the TC from the 4R100 in a 4r70w and used the bellhousing bolts to pull the two together? You sir just trashed your 4r70 and it needs to come out and gone through. Plus you need a TC for a 4r70 and the correct flexplate. You just can't swap parts around like that and expect it to work. This ain't your granddad's small block chebby.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
That's what I said in a different way but it was taken as a bit if an insult right away.
What would I know about it based on what was described?
Same as you.
One has to be nearly an expert to mix parts on these vehicles before even starting unless it's a hobby project where mistakes can be more or less afforded for the end goal to be achieved..
Look at the two different 4.6 motor design examples.
Some body disagreed some where for that to happen.
Just some after thoughts.
I leave this thread with a little insight;;;; When a person gets angry, it is almost 100% at themselves for not having success , making a mistake or not knowing, not the project itself.
Good luck.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 PM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
That's what I said in a different way but it was taken as a bit if an insult right away.
What would I know about it based on what was described?
Same as you.
One has to be nearly an expert to mix parts on these vehicles before even starting unless it's a hobby project where mistakes can be more or less afforded for the end goal to be achieved..
Look at the two different 4.6 motor design examples.
Some body disagreed some where for that to happen.
Just some after thoughts.
I leave this thread with a little insight;;;; When a person gets angry, it is almost 100% at themselves for not having success , making a mistake or not knowing, not the project itself.
Good luck.
Im sorry if you thought i felt insulted. i did not, i felt that i had done addiquite reasearch. your post made me more confused based on my thoughts about what i read. i would agree with your insight, my anger is against myself, i know the project is possible, and some of my questions preproject never got answered until now. i took the chance and am paying the consequences. i appreciate your help as i do with everyone that answers my questions, even if it makes me more confused. its a budget build but willing to do what is neccessary. thanks again for trying to help me

Originally Posted by 70f100longbed
So you used the TC from the 4R100 in a 4r70w and used the bellhousing bolts to pull the two together? You sir just trashed your 4r70 and it needs to come out and gone through. Plus you need a TC for a 4r70 and the correct flexplate. You just can't swap parts around like that and expect it to work. This ain't your granddad's small block chebby.
my granddad was a ford man.... thanks for enlightening me to my root issue, i did not know there were so many incompatabilitys, from everthing i read, i assumed a 5.4 tc were the same. I would really have loved to put the 4r100 in the truck, and would do it, but i havent found a good write up on the rewire.

back to my best case current issues. you would reccomend tearing down the 4r70w beyond the pump? is there any chance that i could deem that not neccesary if i just remove the pump? what are your thoughts on the 4.6 tc? they say the 5.4 with the 4.6 tc can push the limits of the 4r70w, but i was thinking of if i did not tune the pcm for the 5.4, id be lacking full power, and might not hit peak torque... thoughts? i wont tear down a tranny, but not sure i have a viable route to get it looked at. tans shop could be hours away, let alone the cost. id prolly be better finding a used trans if i cant just replace the pump. sorry if my questions are elementary, ive just read so many posts that im not sure are reliable anymore.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 PM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
i just looked back into the idea of a 4r100 swap and found a very complete rightup i didnt see before that pointed out what i saw in the very beguinning, 4r100 needs the expy pcm, which has pats, and i dont care to look for a substitute.

also back to bluegrass, you can lead a horse to wate but cant make him drink. i re read the complete 4.6 5/4 swap notes page for the 50th time, now after having the problems some information reads differently.
JMC's writeup put the 4r100 TC's all together, and showed the stall rates for the 4r70w ones. in reading a barely related topic, somone ran a 4.6 4r70 tc in thier 5.4 4r70 and it just had a higher stall. obviously there was a difference between my 4r70 and the 5.4 one in that article, but i would have had a better chance for sucess using my 4.6 setup more than liekly suceeded since its a daily driver, no burnouts or heavy hauling. i went with the 5.4 cuz i coulndt find a romeo 4.6 reasonably close or priced. using the expy will only cost me 200 max for the 5.4 engine, my ignorance however......

Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
How many miles on your 4r70w? If its a lot I would go ahead and rebuild it since you have to pull the pump out anyway. They are not hard to do and only require a few special tools. I have found a extremely detailed thread on an explorer forum that goes through rebuilding one step by step. Its borderline OCD if you ask me. 4R70W Transmission Rebuild Diary - Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"®

Old 10-21-2014, 07:39 AM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Thanks I'll look into that. 130k but was a plow truck before me so a rebuild isn't crazy idea. Howmuch in parts would you say the rebuild is? I found a 99 5.4 f150 with a bad motor for sale with 170k. Im waiting to hear back on the trans code. I could be into that for under 300 but then I'd have a second junker to tear apart and haul away. Eventually.....

Old 10-21-2014, 08:06 AM
mark_5102
Cross-Country
Thanks for the link I briefly read into that diary. His mission statement is spot on. There's a lot of jambled info and discouragement. I commend people who have the time and passion to be so thourough in helping others..

Old 10-21-2014, 08:16 AM
70f100longbed
Fleet Mechanic
Prob looking at $500-$700 in parts for a seal kit, all the clutches, both bands, pump, and fluid. You could have some damaged hard parts too from the pump damage. Won't know until you tear into it.

Quick Reply: 5.4 swap and torque conveter problems