Sponsored by: Moser

wheel wooble

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
k3capt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel wooble

Hi everyone i am new here i have a problem that i can not fiqure out so here goes. i have a 2010 f150 supercrew 4x4 with 8.8 3:55 nls rear differential. my driver side tire has a wobble to it it is wearing the inside of the tire. i have replaced the driver axle shaft with new ford oem shaft put in new axle bearings and seals on both sides and have replaced the spyder gears and i still have the wobble i dont know what is going on. the wobble is more pronounced when the tire and rim are bolted to the shaft only without the drum and caliper attached. with caliper and rotor attached i still have the wobble just not as bad however the tire wobbles going down the road more noticisable between 20-45 mph. i m at wits end here does anyone or can anyone give me some help or advice on this. Please

scott

Old 10-17-2014, 11:32 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe this is too simplistic, but have you had the wheel/tire balanced on a road-force balancer to ensure they're actually true?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Greg B
Postmaster
Might be a defective tire. I've experienced a wobble feel when the tread starts to separate.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:19 AM
k3capt
New User
I have rotated the tires numerous times and I only have a wobble when I put a tire on the left rear . so I am still in the dark ford guy says possible axle assembly may be bent or side carrier bearings bad but I don't get any noise from diff at all while on jack stands so beats me I need a rear end gooru

Old 10-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
With the truck on a lift or with the rear tires completely off the ground rotate both tires by hand and see if there is and lateral run out. It could be a bad tire, it could be a bent wheel, or it could be a bent axle flange. If you see wobble remove tire and wheel assembly and see if any run out or wobble is present in the axle flange.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
With the truck on a lift or with the rear tires completely off the ground rotate both tires by hand and see if there is and lateral run out. It could be a bad tire, it could be a bent wheel, or it could be a bent axle flange. If you see wobble remove tire and wheel assembly and see if any run out or wobble is present in the axle flange.
Along the lines of what you are saying, I would use a dial indicator with a magnetic base and check run out on the wheel as is torqued to spec on the hub and go in from there, this would help eliminate the tire or point in towards the axle.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM
k3capt
New User
Thanks for reply but I have rotated the tires and the only time I get the wobble is on the left rear I have already replaced lt axle shaft with new OEM ford and axle bearings . I don't have access to the dial indicator is it possible the axle shaft could be bent ford dealer says highly unlikely . Ideas

Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 PM
fastback89
Senior User
It could be something under the rotor

Have seen where a chunk of rust could be trapped under the hat part of the rotor, might be worth checking out? I agree, there is no way both axles are bent..

Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 PM
j.grif
Elder User
Originally Posted by k3capt
Thanks for reply but I have rotated the tires and the only time I get the wobble is on the left rear I have already replaced lt axle shaft with new OEM ford and axle bearings . I don't have access to the dial indicator is it possible the axle shaft could be bent ford dealer says highly unlikely . Ideas
Quick question, has this vehicle been in an accident or did a wheel hit the curb with a side load? if you live near a Harbor freight, they have a dial indicator kit that is quite reasonable and would help you very much, did you do the rear end spiders and axle shaft bearings your self, if so, you should have no trouble using this little doodad, Clamping Dial Indicator it seems odd that you have a wooble in that you say only the inside of the tire exhibits wear?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
To clarify what you are saying, only one of the tires wobbles and only when it is on the left rear?

Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 PM
k3capt
New User
The only wobble I get is on left rear and it doesn't matter which tire I put there it's the only one that wobbles it's not a bent rim or bad tire Also I get the wobble with the rotor and caliper removed so it's not a rotor or rust issue and yes I have done the work all myself, I did overload the truck several years ago and I have hit the curb while backing the boat in my drive way it's on a steep incline I have no harbor freight I will try and locate a dial indicator not sure what that will tell me . Is there anything else would cause this I
From what I gather a bent tube housing would cause the tire to rotate at a camber not a lateral wobble is this correct and again thanks I really need to figure this out, and the tire wear is on the inside of tire and not outside

Old 10-18-2014, 10:16 PM
unibody62
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's a tough one. I'm not well versed in diff mechanics, but it seems to me that something must be misaligned or worn in there. But you said spyder gears were replaced. I don't have any answers for you. Sorry

Old 10-19-2014, 12:14 AM
j.grif
Elder User
The only wobble I get is on left rear and it doesn't matter which tire I put there it's the only one that wobbles it's not a bent rim or bad tire Also I get the wobble with the rotor and caliper removed so it's not a rotor or rust issue and yes I have done the work all myself, I did overload the truck several years ago and I have hit the curb while backing the boat in my drive way it's on a steep incline I have no harbor freight I will try and locate a dial indicator not sure what that will tell me . Is there anything else would cause this I
From what I gather a bent tube housing would cause the tire to rotate at a camber not a lateral wobble is this correct and again thanks I really need to figure this out, and the tire wear is on the inside of tire and not outside
lateral runout if excessive will cause a wheel to wobble, 30 thousands will amplify to 160 thousands at the tread, here is a youtube link that shows an axle flange hub that has run out and how it is checked with a dial indicator, hope this helps.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:25 AM
Green Gem
Junior User
k3capt,

If you are wearing the inside of the tire, the rear end housing is almost certainly bent. Did you have any resistence sliding the axles in or out during the replacement. Depending on the amount of bend in the housing, you could be getting a bit of axle flex that shows up as wobble.

An alignment shop should be able to tell you if your camber is out sufficiently to cause the tire wear. Does the tire just wear on the inside, or does it cup too?

IMHO.

Take Care

Green Gem