Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thump thump thump when rolling to a stop

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Raise
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thump thump thump when rolling to a stop

Hey fellas. I have a noise/sensation happening and I wana get to the bottom of it. I thought it was maybe a warped rotor, but just the other day I did new rotors, pads, wheel bearings and manual hubs. It is more of a sensation than a noise. It seems to sync with the turning of the tires...I can hear/feel one thump for each revolution of the tire. I'm starting to think its one of the front tires, but I wanted to get y'all's opinion. It reminds me of when a rock is stuck in your tire, but it's a lower sound and much more pronounced...I can actually feel it. I checked the tires anyway but I can't find anything stuck in the tread anywhere. I may switch the fronts to the rear and see if I can still feel it. One more thing...I can feel it whether I'm on the brake or not. I was worried that it may be drivetrain related, but the none of the front end drivetrain components are turning while in 2wd. Any feedback fellas?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:26 AM
SteelHorse4x4
Senior User
I think you're on the right track. Sounds like it could be a broken steel/nylon belt internal to the tire that could have broken. Sometimes if it happens in the tread it can be very hard to spot, but sound like an old bias ply tire that hasn't been driven for a few days and flat-spotted.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:06 PM
phoneman91
Cargo Master
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Tires may be the cause. Rotation of the tires- rear to front axle may make it obvious.

Or you may try jacking up each tire and spinning it and looking at the tread surface-the tread area may have a visible distortion. And also listen for noise.

If one tire has a distortion-replace it with the spare and then test drive the truck and see if the problem is gone.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:04 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
From a very slow speed? I takes tires farther than you think for a tire to make a revolution.

Do you have a two piece rear drive shaft with a supporting carrier bearing?

That's where I'd look first.

If the rubber has failed or sagged significantly, it can droop the drive shaft causing the U joints to be out of alignment.

Which may also lead to drive shaft U joint replacement too.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It ain't the tires.

My 94 does it severely. It's the rear drums. I too thought it was front rotors. I could feel it when I rotated the tires. I wonder if the anti lock brakes cause this? The drums may simply get out of round due to age.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:33 AM
Raise
Senior User
Originally Posted by F-ONE
It ain't the tires.

My 94 does it severely. It's the rear drums. I too thought it was front rotors. I could feel it when I rotated the tires. I wonder if the anti lock brakes cause this? The drums may simply get out of round due to age.
But then shouldnt the noise only happen when my foot is on the brake pedal? I could swear it happens even without my foot on the brake. I have let my foot off while rolling to a stop just to rule out brakes, and i can still feel it

Old 12-20-2014, 03:56 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
The reason you hear and feel it without the brakes on is the drum is out of round and makes contact with the shoe. Shhink ....shhink.....shhink. Are you hearing that when you coast to a stop?
Does it increase...get stronger when you apply the brakes? High speed braking bumpbumpbumpbumpbump.

To confirm this. Jack up the truck and get the back wheel off the ground. You should be able to feel it as you turn the wheel.

But before you do anything, like before you leave home tomorrow, check all the lug nuts.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Raise
Senior User
Originally Posted by F-ONE
The reason you hear and feel it without the brakes on is the drum is out of round and makes contact with the shoe. Shhink ....shhink.....shhink. Are you hearing that when you coast to a stop?
Does it increase...get stronger when you apply the brakes? High speed braking bumpbumpbumpbumpbump.

To confirm this. Jack up the truck and get the back wheel off the ground. You should be able to feel it as you turn the wheel.

But before you do anything, like before you leave home tomorrow, check all the lug nuts.
Yes i can hear and feel it as i coast to a stop. I have not noticed it getting stronger when i apply the brakes. I do not have any symptoms at high speed braking.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:00 AM
F-ONE
Senior User
We may have the same trouble but mine may be more advanced. To rule out a lot of possibilities, you need to get the truck up and inspect and roll each wheel. A friendly mechanic with a lift would be a big help. You can do it at home but the E brake needs to be off and the truck in neutral to roll inspect the back wheels. Make sure you take all safety precautions when you have the truck up.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Raise
Senior User
Ok fellas here is an update. I got the rear end up and ruled out rear brakes. I put it in neutral with the parking brake off and spun the wheels. I did not feel any resistance or hear any noises. I'm starting to wonder if it's my driveshaft or u-joints. The reason I say this is it feels like the noise/sensation is happening more than once per each revolution of the wheel/tire, which rules out the front tires. In other words, it seems to happen maybe twice for every one revolution of the wheel/tire. I made sure my front driveshaft wasn't spinning while in 2wd and my hubs are unlocked like they should be. The only reason I lean away from it being the rear driveshaft is that the noise/sensation feels like it's in the front end. I guess it doesn't have to be though. I can feel it whether I'm on the brake or not. I also noticed that I can hear it even while going 25-30 miles an hour...it's just also faster obviously. Naturally, it slows down as I slow down, but it definitely seems to happen more than once per each revolution of the wheel/tire. Can y'all give me any suggestion or feedback here? I have no idea what this could be or where to check next. I'm just worried that it's something serious. Thanks fellas

Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it is once per wheel rotation, it isn't the driveshaft or joints as they rotate 3-4 times per wheel. I bet on a tire.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
Raise
Senior User
Originally Posted by ponykilr
If it is once per wheel rotation, it isn't the driveshaft or joints as they rotate 3-4 times per wheel. I bet on a tire.
I stated that it is clearly more than once per tire rotation. I though originally that it was once per tire rotation, but the closer I listened, it seems like it's maybe twice per rotation?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:05 PM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Second order noise then, could be wheel bearing or still could be tires.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Raise
Senior User
Originally Posted by ponykilr
Second order noise then, could be wheel bearing or still could be tires.
Wheel bearings and hubs have been replaced. Again, noise sounds more often than the tire is rotating

Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 PM
lil'ford
Freshman User
if you're tires are way out of balance or the rim is bent it would cause slight thump when rolling and you would feel it in the steering and suspension.. you wouldn't hear any brake noise.. the imbalance or warp in the rim would cause a sort of skip or lift at the tire..., and the possibility of a warn u-joints in the front steering knuckles would have the potential lift, skip, thump...
hope that is helpfull.. cheers

Quick Reply: Thump thump thump when rolling to a stop