1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Wrap-Up: Photos and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:08 PM
ARW
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Summer Wrap-Up: Photos and Updates

In between work and some free time on the weekends, I had an enjoyable spring and summer working on project Super Duty and taking care of a few things that needed to be done as well as performing some upgrades as well. I figured now would be good time to share those updates and post some corresponding photos!

Well let's get to it.

HNC Bumper

The most notable update is a new rear offroad bumper. It bugged me having the "hit and miss setup" with a nice one on the front and a stocker on the back. After several months of research and consideration, it was apparent I had found the right manufacture when I came across Hard Notched Customs, and independent shop based out of Vancouver WA. When I had it narrowed down to one or two other brands, I quickly found out that you could not have one "special ordered" or have any personal customization done. Including some poor customer service, I decided to spend a little more time researching as these bumpers are pricy and wanted to make sure I got the right thing.

Fortunately I did not pull the trigger too soon or I would have not found HNC. Their motto basically goes "You create the design; we build it." Joel and Matt were great to work with, will send you updates along the way during each stage of the build process as shown above. They offer competitive pricing and include rear auxiliary lights, license plates lights with the option to choose your finish type- things that aren't always offered with other manufactures.
Taking their standard SD rear bumper as template, I told them I wanted additional protection/coverage around the corners of the truck.

I was truly blown away when I saw it as it exceeded my expectations by far. I recommend them highly!

2008-2012 Tailgate
This was an unplanned mod and something that I was not thrilled about having to buy at first, but ended up turning out to be a chance to upgrade to the new style which so it turned out to be a win in the end.

The Back Story:
A little over a month ago while parking in a restaurant parking lot, I backed into a spot that had a big branch right behind the tailgate which ended up putting a huge dent init. I made the mistake of leaving the truck in reverse after I shut it off- something that I've never done 99.9% of the time owning standard transmission vehicles all my life. I typically always put them back into first after parking. The thing with the ZF6 is that reverse is all the way to the left and up, so it can actually appear at a very quick glance that you're in 1st gear when in reality it's in reverse. Well, you can pretty much guess what happened when I let the clutch out thinking it was in 1st. Won't make that mistake again!

Motorsport Tech BORA Wheel Spacers

For one who's obsessed about achieving his own particular stance, I called up my bud Lenny from Motorsport Tech to build a set of his hub centric BORA (bullet proof offroad adapters) for the truck to fill out the flares. The pinchweld mod had to be done due to the increased scrub radius but it came out looking good and sealed everything up properly with automotive undercoating.

Military Battery Terminals
Replaced all four batter connections with military style. The originals were tired and had some corrosion. Definitely a well worth mod as it has now aided in a stronger crank and will be beneficial for adding additional exterior lighting and accessories down the road.

6637 Intake
The truck had a new, yes new fortunately in the sense that it hadn't been installed very long, K&N intake system when I bought it so that had to go in replacement of the almighty 6637 filter. Installed the filter onto the existing K&N intake pipe. Now I can sleep at night, lol.

Seat of the pants difference? I'll pretend you didn't even ask.
Sound difference? A little less turbo whistle and more of an intake roar.

Miscellaneous odds and ends:
-Oil/filter change
-Fuel filter change
-Replaced oil cooler seals
-New trailer 7 way plug
-Lubed suspension
-Hidden exhaust turn down
-Painted axle ends
-Replaced a buggered belt molding
-Valve cover wire loom wire replacement

She's definitely no new luxury ride and far from a show stopper but it's one tough truck that I enjoy fixing up and making mine.

Time for 40's!

What's next? A Tony Wildman chip a with 4 gauge pod pillar setup and a top rack similar to the one pictured below to carry a full sized 37" spare, lights and a high-lift.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Nice truck. Looks very clean for a '99. Has your truck been a Washington truck all its life?

Happy to see everything worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:22 PM
ARW
Senior User
Originally Posted by Km1210
Nice truck. Looks very clean for a '99. Has your truck been a Washington truck all its life?

Happy to see everything worked out for you. Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Thanks Kyle!

It's in pretty good shape aside from a fairly large scratch through the side of one of the 4x4 decals that continues to the tailight. The paint leaves something to be desired and has a lot imperfections throughout when you look at it up close but down the road I'd like to have it re sprayed. For now it works.

It has been in NW truck all of its life.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:52 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great lookng truck! I love the rear bumper.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:33 PM
HuntsDucks70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
really like your build, truck looks tough man! that ARB works well with the 99-04s, rear bumper is bad a** too.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 AM
ARW
Senior User
Thanks guys!!

Originally Posted by wizkid00104
Great lookng truck! I love the rear bumper.
Thanks, I do too!

really like your build, truck looks tough man! that ARB works well with the 99-04s, rear bumper is bad a** too.
That's what I'm going for, thanks!

I agree about the ARB; it's my favorite one for these trucks.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 AM
MC5C
Posting Guru
"The pinchweld mod had to be done due to the increased scrub radius"

What is this mod?

Brian

Old 10-13-2014, 01:24 PM
ARW
Senior User
Originally Posted by MC5C
"The pinchweld mod had to be done due to the increased scrub radius"

What is this mod?

Brian
Behind each splash panel in the front is a pinch weld that protrudes out. Combined with a wide wheelbase and big tires, it can interfere and cause rubbing. Clearencing this down to prevent rubbing is often referred to as the "pinch weld mod."