2005 Excursion A/C issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:11 PM
Swaybar1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2005 Excursion A/C issue

Hello all,
We had a 2002 limited Excursion with a 7.3L and should have never gotten rid of it. I recently purchased a 2005 E.B. Ed Excursion with the 6.0 from a family(2nd owner). It has 145k and is very clean. I revisited the site and found a helpful post on the center directional overhead gauge (mine was out and the little chip had fallen-so I actually glued it back into place and it worked).

Another issue we're having involves the a/c system. The front appears to have the climate control system (to my knowledge). I don't know if this will matter but there is a factory DVD system in the ceiling above the front seats. The front a/c (dash) blows fine and cold. The center (above the second row seats and controlled by a control panel above the second row seats) does not come on when you turn the **** or blow. The third or back (controlled by the dash in the front) comes on and blows but no air comes out of the vents. Yesterday my wife informed me that the a/c would not come on when she started the car so she shut it off, waited a minute, restarted it and then it came on.

The vehicle had a good car fax and was un-modified. I was thinking of possibly doing the EGR delete and maybe a computer(but just for mild driving, no hauling or HP). Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The ac not coming on is a lazy relay. No need to restart the truck just turn your headlights on and off a couple times.

The front top display must be on for the second row of controls to work.

If no air comes out from center, the duct in that area may have fallen apart.
Try that...

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Cutting the car off and on is the fix for the climate control problem, i also did a headlight trick when mine happened. The control head has a glitch.

Does the rear work using the front control? You have to have the front control set to rear for the rear controls to work.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Swaybar1
Senior User
So if the top display went out maybe it needs to be replaced to get the second row seat controls to work?

What is the control head?

Well, I will definitely try the suggestions. As far as the far back, like I said it can be turned on by the front. The back(second row) I cant get to come on for anything. I will check the duct for the third row...does anyone have any ideas for doing that the easy way?

Old 10-13-2014, 08:26 AM
fishintheobx
Senior User
I've owned my '05 for close to 100k miles now and always had this issue. Since I'm not about to tear into the electrical system on a truck that runs so well, I just do the work-around. For me, it's never leave the headlight switch in Auto mode. If I do, without doubt within a few days this issue will crop up. But if I manually operate it I never have the A/C problem. And living in Florida, the A/C in this truck runs 12 months / year.

Oh...and get the EGR delete done so you don't have a catastrophe on your hands down the road from a failed oil cooler (which at your mileage, you're in that range). Just drop the $$, get the EGR delete, new oil cooler, and a nice tuner like the SCT Livewire put in so you have some gauges to keep an eye on things. I run a very mild street tune that is nice to drive, but leaning on the skinny pedal hard enough will turn it into an absolute monster, and it's still capable of pulling close to 20mpg as a daily highway driver.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:33 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fishintheobx
I've owned my '05 for close to 100k miles now and always had this issue. Since I'm not about to tear into the electrical system on a truck that runs so well, I just do the work-around. For me, it's never leave the headlight switch in Auto mode. If I do, without doubt within a few days this issue will crop up. But if I manually operate it I never have the A/C problem. And living in Florida, the A/C in this truck runs 12 months / year.

Oh...and get the EGR delete done so you don't have a catastrophe on your hands down the road from a failed oil cooler (which at your mileage, you're in that range). Just drop the $$, get the EGR delete, new oil cooler, and a nice tuner like the SCT Livewire put in so you have some gauges to keep an eye on things. I run a very mild street tune that is nice to drive, but leaning on the skinny pedal hard enough will turn it into an absolute monster, and it's still capable of pulling close to 20mpg as a daily highway driver.
I was just in your neighborhood, still hot in October, lol

Old 01-26-2015, 02:46 PM
ProgMusc13
New User
All right... Had the "A/C not coming on" problem just a few minutes ago. When I turned the Ex off I just turned the key again to see if it worked again and it did. If it could be a lazy relay then I am going to trace the wiring diagram and find the right relay to replace. It may just need some cleaning of the contacts/dielectric grease rather than a replacement.

Man, this is a great site!

Old 06-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Swaybar1
Senior User
Just an update:

Had the EGR delete done (and because mine is an 05 my engine light stays on - yeah) and the SCT computer and oil cooler is next. Also replaced all the injectors and performance has greatly improved.

The a/c issues persists and to clarify my front top display is out (I took it down and the little chips appear to need to be re-seated) so I don't know if that is playing into the whole scheme. Like i said earlier the front a/c works, rear back works on floor, but the middle does not blow at all. I have read several posts the mention a TMX(not sure if that is it)?

Other posts mention flow doors or flapper doors (can anyone suggest or give locations)?