Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Fuel filter frustration

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuel filter frustration

What am I missing? I'm trying to change the fuel filter on my '98 4.0 with pushrod motor. The filter is not retained with the plastic hairpin clips like earlier designs. There are some retainers internal to the fitting end that are supposed to be released by the tool. This job shouldn't be that difficult. Yes, I have the factory manual and I have googled extensively and read through lots of information. The ironic thing about this and similar procedures is that those procedures with the fewest number of steps seem to be some of the more difficult tasks to perform.

I've probably spent 4 hours trying to get the dang thing off, including three trips to the auto parts store to try three different tools. All the tools I tried were plastic, but I found an aluminum tool online from OEM that I'm considering. I don't mind spending the $30 for the tool and shipping, if it actually works but my experience so far is that the tools don't seem to be made correctly. I've even tried making my own tool. I tried pushing the connector towards the filter first, then pulling away. All to no avail. I'm also considering snipping off the tube stub from the filter so I can get better access to the connector retainers, as shown in one post I saw somewhere, but I prefer finesse over the caveman approach if possible.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:07 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Those fittings can be very challenging. The last time I changed the filter on my 2000 Mountaineer, I was ready to give up and decided to give it one last try. That's when it came loose for me. The only thing I remember from that attempt that was atypical was I let go of the tool and grasped the filter with one hand and the line with my other hand. As I was trying to pull the connection apart, the tool seemed to "release" away from the filter, then the joint separated.

FWIW, I had a cast aluminum tool, an anodized aluminum tool, and the plastic tool. I had tried the aluminum tools. I was using the plastic tool when it finally came apart for me.

You've probably tried this already, but as you're inserting the tool, rotate the tool in one direction while turning the fuel filter in the opposite direction. You should be easily able to tell when the tool bottoms out doing this. Then try letting go of the tool and pulling on the filter and line to see if that helps.

-Rod

Old 09-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shorod
You've probably tried this already, but as you're inserting the tool, rotate the tool in one direction while turning the fuel filter in the opposite direction. You should be easily able to tell when the tool bottoms out doing this. Then try letting go of the tool and pulling on the filter and line to see if that helps.
Thanks for that tidbit. I'll keep this in mind when I crawl under next time to give it a go. I did try rotating things, but I don't recall turning the tool in the opposite direction.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
That probably has no real effect, but gives you something to do while pondering what to try next.

-Rod

Old 09-26-2014, 07:30 AM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
you need 3 hands, but try to push the line onto the filter further as you insert the tool. That lets the teeth back off of the filter lip and gives more room to install the tool. as mentioned, once the tool is inserted all the way, rotate the filter and line oppsite directions slightly as you pull apart.