6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Post Trip Performance Results from my 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 01:14 PM
drasm22
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trip Performance Results from my 6.4

I just returned from a 4000+ mile western US trip in my (new to me) 2008 6.4 F250. I was pulling a 33' fifth wheel weighing in at around 14000 lbs. The truck has been modified with a H&S Minimaxx tuner, DPF delete, and a Banks cold air intake. Overall, the truck ran great and got an average of 11.5 MPG while pulling the camper.

A couple of issues did arise. About 2/3rd's into the trip, the truck developed a coolant leak that I've since diagnosed to a upper main hose connection (where it connects to the engine). I had to add coolant several times during the last 1,000 miles into the trip although the engine never overheated; it just leaked. Thanks to this site, I've pulled the TSB on the single O-ring hose connectors and understand those need to be replaced. While reading about what that means, I found information on removing the EGR cooler to further improve performance and create some space under the hood. I'm not sure what all's involved with doing that; how expensive a modification is it and what are the +/- of doing it? I'm fairly handy with a wrench but have no idea how extensive that change is.

Secondly, the cruise control began operating intermittently. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Again, this site says it's most likely the switch attached to the underside of the brake master cylinder. Does anyone have experience with that particular problem and what fixed it?

Lastly, I'm new to diesel powered vehicles. What do I need to know to keep my truck running well? I understand oil changes per the severe service schedule and fuel filter changes every 20,000 miles, but what other things do I need to be looking for especially given the modifications that have already be installed?

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:26 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by drasm22
I just returned from a 4000+ mile western US trip in my (new to me) 2008 6.4 F250. I was pulling a 33' fifth wheel weighing in at around 14000 lbs. The truck has been modified with a H&S Minimaxx tuner, DPF delete, and a Banks cold air intake. Overall, the truck ran great and got an average of 11.5 MPG while pulling the camper.

A couple of issues did arise. About 2/3rd's into the trip, the truck developed a coolant leak that I've since diagnosed to a upper main hose connection (where it connects to the engine). I had to add coolant several times during the last 1,000 miles into the trip although the engine never overheated; it just leaked. Thanks to this site, I've pulled the TSB on the single O-ring hose connectors and understand those need to be replaced. While reading about what that means, I found information on removing the EGR cooler to further improve performance and create some space under the hood. I'm not sure what all's involved with doing that; how expensive a modification is it and what are the +/- of doing it? I'm fairly handy with a wrench but have no idea how extensive that change is.

Secondly, the cruise control began operating intermittently. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. Again, this site says it's most likely the switch attached to the underside of the brake master cylinder. Does anyone have experience with that particular problem and what fixed it?

Lastly, I'm new to diesel powered vehicles. What do I need to know to keep my truck running well? I understand oil changes per the severe service schedule and fuel filter changes every 20,000 miles, but what other things do I need to be looking for especially given the modifications that have already be installed?

I'll leave the real tech stuff to those who know, but after the last year of dieseldom I have begun to change my fuel filters every other oil change. That with the oil and filter service runs about $135 at the dealership. Apparently this is cheap insurance.
Good luck with your F250, I have an 08 F350 SRW. This is a good forum with good feedback for questions and or issues.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil at 5,000 mile intervals & Fuel filters at 10,000 mile intervals.

Check fluids regularly. I pop my hood nearly every time I fuel to check coolant. Great piece of mind. Keep an eye on oil level and run CJ4 approved oil. Only Racor or Motorcraft filters. Periodic oil analysis is a great idea as well.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
JR58
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
Oil at 5,000 mile intervals & Fuel filters at 10,000 mile intervals.

Check fluids regularly. I pop my hood nearly every time I fuel to check coolant. Great piece of mind. Keep an eye on oil level and run CJ4 approved oil. Only Racor or Motorcraft filters. Periodic oil analysis is a great idea as well.
I still haven't done the oil analysis yet but I should.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:21 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drasm22

Don't forget to drain the water separator monthly! The EGR coolers is an inexpensive ordeal. $100-300 on Ebay depending what set you get, I went cheap, it worked well, just put some penetrating oil on the lower egr connections and take your time, the bottom two can strip the heads pretty easy. Other than that it's not bad at all.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,459 Likes on 1,041 Posts
X3 fuel filters changed at 10K miles.

Only OEM oil and fuel filters as well.

Buy a new upper hose, not just the 0-rings. It will have white on the end that goes towards the motor.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The pressure switch on the bottom of the master cylinder(towards front)....is most likely what's cause your cruise not to work. It's easy to replace...just disconnect the wiring harness, remove old switch and install new switch. You'll only lose a drop or two of brake fluid, and you don;t need to bleed anything after either. Hardest part is getting your hands in there to do it. Some say to remove drivers side fender splash lining to do it.....I just reached in and did it...took about 15 mins.