1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

98 OHV 4.0 intake manifold/EGR tube

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 11:45 AM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 OHV 4.0 intake manifold/EGR tube

I've searched this issue on the forum and found a few good points, but I need a little more information or it will be a big time screw up. Im going to replace fuel injectors. Ive got the intake manifold all released except for that EGR tube that come up on the front left and then flares wide into the plastic manifold. Where it enters the manifold it looks like a press fit. Is it possible to get that out of there? Down below I see the EGR valve then the tubing back to the exhaust pipe. I see two disconnect points; one right behind the EGR and then the one right one the exhaust. Both are rusted to hell. Is there any best way to approach it? It I could work that fitting out of the intake manifold that would be ideal. I don't want to ruin that pipe if I can help it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
That EGR tube is indeed a PITA. I guess you can describe it as a "press fit". Check out this thread, it should help you:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/2...ke-gasket.html

HERE is a pic from one of my posts in that thread that shows what you are dealing with.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Thanks Rock, your post fantastic as usual. In that picture you showed me, then that part does extract from the plastic intake? Even with that little 90 degree bend in it? I was gonna put the muscle to it but thought I might break it, but apparently you got it off OK.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:21 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had my injectors out a few months ago. What I did was unbolt the tube from the EGR valve. Then, I was able to rotate the EGR tube (the one that connects to the exhaust manifold) and EGR to give just enough clearance by slightly loosening the nut on the exhaust manifold tube. I got good access to the nut through the wheel well (take off the inner fender liner).

After I had the intake off, I tried to remove the tube from the intake, but it was stuck in there good. So, I figured if it ain't broke...

Old 08-28-2014, 11:05 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
It's that 90 degree bend that causes the headache. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I was able to lift the unbolted intake manifold straight up just enough to a point where I had some room to wiggle it back and forth and separate it from the EGR tube.

I've actually had the UI off a couple of times, but it has been several years since I had to do it, so I'm a little foggy on the precise method. IIRC, the first time I did it, I sprayed some penetrating oil in the area where the tube inserts into the intake and let it set in for about 20 minutes or so.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:47 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
Thanks to both you guys. Rock I read your good article on removing to the lower intake. I'm wondering whether I should just do the lower with new gaskets since I'm in there. I'm gonna test the oil for coolant like you did, but am tossing around in my mind is the lower intake gaskets just a matter of time, so just do it now, or should I adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thinking".

Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
I'm wondering whether I should just do the lower with new gaskets since I'm in there. I'm gonna test the oil for coolant like you did, but am tossing around in my mind is the lower intake gaskets just a matter of time, so just do it now, or should I adhere to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thinking".
Tough call. If you can wait until you get the oil analysis test results, then you'll have more information to go on.

If your 4.0L does indeed have traces of coolant mixing in with the oil, then I think you know what the answer is.

On the other hand, while I'm all for preventive maintenance, I'm not so sure that includes changing lower intake manifold gaskets without any reason to believe they are failing.

Keep in mind that, if/when you ever have to remove the UIM again, it will go a lot quicker, now that you've been through it.

Also, if you later have to replace the LIM gasket, you won't have to mess with the fuel supply manifold or fuel injectors - you can leave them attached to the LIM and remove the whole thing as an assembly.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:39 PM
samthelion
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this answer is not too late, the enlarged end of the pipe has an O-ring on. It just slips in when new, but as it ages and heat affects it, it becomes major PITA to remove. It takes a lot of muscle, but it will come out without damage.