1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf springs + Shackles

Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM
fcfowl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaf springs + Shackles

Hello,
I have a couple questions about lifting the front end of my 03 f250 5.4 gas up 2 more inches.
I have a 2" shackle leveling my truck out right now. I ordered a leaf pack for the front end that comes with center pins. Putting the add a leaf is possible correct? I know it is not the recommended way to go but I'm going the cheaper way. What are the negative impacts of doing it?
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 975 Likes on 750 Posts
adding more leafs will roughen the ride

Old 08-21-2014, 12:41 PM
fcfowl
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
adding more leafs will roughen the ride
But it is doable correct?
Thanks for reply!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:22 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Definitley doable, I have a 2.5" leveling kit in my truck as well i went with the Zone leveling kit because i liked the reveiws it had from people on here over other mini packs.

Just checking so you have a 2" shackle kit now your going to add another 2" correect? If so then you also need to get eh following:
- Adjustable Track bar or drop pitman arm and trac bar relocation bracket
- Extended brake lines
- longer sway bar links

All trucks are different like mine with the plow prep package and the 5.4l being very light i essentially got 4" out of my 2.5" leveling kit and that made me need all those things to keep the truck form having bump steer and other issues. Just keep that in mind because you are changin the geometry of a lot of things when you lift the truck.

Also since you are lifting the truck from under the leaf spring you do not need longer shocks but since you lifted have longer shackles you should probably get new shocks if its close to the time but when you do dont get them for a 4" lift get them for a stock-2" lift because the distance from shock mount to shock mount only changed 2" not 4".

Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM
fcfowl
New User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Definitley doable, I have a 2.5" leveling kit in my truck as well i went with the Zone leveling kit because i liked the reveiws it had from people on here over other mini packs.

Just checking so you have a 2" shackle kit now your going to add another 2" correect? If so then you also need to get eh following:
- Adjustable Track bar or drop pitman arm and trac bar relocation bracket
- Extended brake lines
- longer sway bar links

All trucks are different like mine with the plow prep package and the 5.4l being very light i essentially got 4" out of my 2.5" leveling kit and that made me need all those things to keep the truck form having bump steer and other issues. Just keep that in mind because you are changin the geometry of a lot of things when you lift the truck.

Also since you are lifting the truck from under the leaf spring you do not need longer shocks but since you lifted have longer shackles you should probably get new shocks if its close to the time but when you do dont get them for a 4" lift get them for a stock-2" lift because the distance from shock mount to shock mount only changed 2" not 4".
Thankyou for the reply! So I have ordered sway bar links, so I can either get a drop pitman arm or adjustable trac bar? I can't seem to find any relocation brackets online anywhere.. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Try bds (bdssuspension.com) iys usually called the box kit it comes with a trac bar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm and make sure its for a 4" lift since thatd your total height now.

Once I get back to my computer I ca link one for you, many places sell the stuff though like Icon and Rough Counry etc. Personally Icon and BDS are really good companies Icon is expensive vs bds but both have good reputations and bds has a lifetime warranty against any part that brakes. Also try PMF I forget thier site link but they are very good quality parts as well.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
fcfowl
New User
Try bds (bdssuspension.com) iys usually called the box kit it comes with a trac bar relocation bracket and drop pitman arm and make sure its for a 4" lift since thatd your total height now.

Once I get back to my computer I ca link one for you, many places sell the stuff though like Icon and Rough Counry etc. Personally Icon and BDS are really good companies Icon is expensive vs bds but both have good reputations and bds has a lifetime warranty against any part that brakes. Also try PMF I forget thier site link but they are very good quality parts as well.
We'll I went to a truck shop today and they told me it can't be done because of the angle of the drive shaft would not work.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:07 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
It shouldn't make a difference because a 4" lift with leaf springs or shackles and mini pack will make the drive shaft the same angle I got 4" out of my mini pack because my leaf springs were old and i have a Gasser so it lifts higher.

Old 08-26-2014, 05:10 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Wait do you have a crew cab? you will need a carrier bearing drop bracket because it's a two piece drive shaft and in that instance hey are correct it will make the truck vibrate a lot at high speeds. I have an ex cab so its a one piece i didn't neet to worry about it. PMF sells shims cheap here (1999-2012 Ford F-250/350 Carrier Bearing Shims) on thier site it says that the general rule of thumb is 1/4" drop for every 1" rear lift so if you do a rear 4" lift then you need 4 of them to equal a 1" drop and it will cost you $20.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:19 PM
fcfowl
New User
Wait do you have a crew cab? you will need a carrier bearing drop bracket because it's a two piece drive shaft and in that instance hey are correct it will make the truck vibrate a lot at high speeds. I have an ex cab so its a one piece i didn't neet to worry about it. PMF sells shims cheap here (1999-2012 Ford F-250/350 Carrier Bearing Shims) on thier site it says that the general rule of thumb is 1/4" drop for every 1" rear lift so if you do a rear 4" lift then you need 4 of them to equal a 1" drop and it will cost you $20.
I've got an extended cab, he said that the way it is now it's already bottle a bolt or something not sure what it was he said it is almost hitting because the leveling kit changed the degree of the drive shaft substantially. And I'm not wanting to do a rear lift, it's for the front. I'm just making sure were on the same sheet of music, I already have the parts and by what he said, it needs to be done another way. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:13 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
It should be fine, I have not heard of an issue with 4" or 6" even i think once you start getting crazy with up towards double digit lifts is when you need to worry about the drive shafts. No matter how you lift the front of the truck the angle of the drive shaft will be the same. When you think about it since the axle gets moved down the same amount it wont matter if its a leaf spring only, shackles only or what ever its still the same distance from the transfer case 4" is 4" unless your shifting the axle forward or backward then there will be no difference with how you lift it relative to drive shaft angles.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
It should be fine, I have not heard of an issue with 4" or 6" even i think once you start getting crazy with up towards double digit lifts is when you need to worry about the drive shafts. No matter how you lift the front of the truck the angle of the drive shaft will be the same. When you think about it since the axle gets moved down the same amount it wont matter if its a leaf spring only, shackles only or what ever its still the same distance from the transfer case 4" is 4" unless your shifting the axle forward or backward then there will be no difference with how you lift it relative to drive shaft angles.
Check out geometry.
You CAN NOT change one dimension in a triangle without affecting at least one other dimension.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BossGasser
Check out geometry.
You CAN NOT change one dimension in a triangle without affecting at least one other dimension.
I get that but you don't have to modify the drive shaft until you get up to about a 10" lift then it starts to get too short and the drive shafts need to be lengthened. There shouldn't be an issue with lifting the truck via shackles and a mini pack. Many people have done it and I've never seen someone who needed to make drive shaft modifications, most go from a 4" lift to a 6" lift by adding 2" shackles to their 4" lift springs and don't make any drive train modifications to the truck. Either way there shouldn't be an issue I would personally go through with the lift especially since the OP has all the parts in already.