Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hydra Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydra Installed

Got the Hydra installed this afternoon. Relatively easy install process, had to take out three times due to a connection issue; was nervous not to take to much metal off the ECM contacts when getting rid of the silicone.

I must say what an absolute difference. I never really understood what al the hype was about. It's like a completely different truck.

Just running the "stock" PHP tunes for the time being. The "Hydra Flash" program is very very easy to use and in my opinion user friendly. PHP has posted some videos on YouTube on how to operate the software. Pretty happy with the shifting, a few rough spots but I believe that is due to a stock transmission. A valve body would probably do me some good.

Will post back in regards to change in fuel economy once I can get a few tanks ran through different tunes.

Here is a little video of putting the foot into the 120HP Smoke Show tune.

Last edited by Mazookie; 08-14-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Wrong information
Old 08-12-2014, 07:51 PM
cj45lc
Cargo Master
Received 89 Likes on 69 Posts
Good luck with trying to wear the new off of it LOL

I'm a big fan of Bill's tunes

Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, it's really a nice piece of hardware/software. You are laying some serious coal in the 80 tune. Are you getting enough air?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:21 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice......😎

Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
More air. Soot is a diesel gasping.

You're gunna love the chip. If you don't like the shift, let Bill know and he can change it.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:40 AM
River19
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
More air. Soot is a diesel gasping.
Was thinking the same thing......that rig seems to need more air stat.

In light of the new anti-rolling coal bills being proposed it could be a good idea to figure out how to burn the rest of that fuel to produce additional power vs. smoke.........but that is just my opinion, others may disagree.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Rich has some tuning on his that the fuel really doesn't start to come on until the MAP starts seeing some boost.

On mine, if I don't have 3-4 psi of boost before I really hit the go pedal, it will belch until the turbo catches it. But if the boost is there, then just a slight haze. A 38R (faster spool) might solve to some, but for the bulk of my driving I'm ok with it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
Rich has some tuning on his that the fuel really doesn't start to come on until the MAP starts seeing some boost.
Yeah... I call that the "Tire Saver". My race tune (with bigger injectors) will shred the shoes and shoot the soot, but my Daily Driver tune keeps everything clean and smooth - with ample passing power, even at high elevation.

Saying that, I heavily-modified the air system to allow Stinky to inhale and exhale deeply - it even makes my chest puff up.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
I thought it was a lot of soot/coal as well. Maybe I was in 120 Smoke Show.... I can't recall for sure . Hate putting wrong information out. I should not have an issue bringing air in. Running an S&B CAI with a brand new dry element filter that was put on last week. Regardless, it was fun laying into her a little bit even though I could watch the fuel gauge move.

I will get a hold of somebody at PHP and see what they say about the shifts. Honestly though I don't know how she is suppose to shift.... The main thing I find a little weird is how prevalent the down shifts are. When coming to a stop she'll shift from 3rd to 2nd and it will feel like I just down shifted a manual transmission. Maybe that is what is suppose to do, I really don't know. This is the first vehicle with an automatic transmission I have owned. Trying to make the trans last until I can get some time over seas, so I'm able to get to Arkansas and see Brian. Gauge was reading 160F with an ambient temp of 86F.

Happy Hump Day

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
In PHP's tune library there are tunes that are listed with and without a valve body mod. Try out some of the other tunes and see which ones you like better than others. You have room for 17 - the hardest part is remembering which tune is where!

What is your PCM code? Try the +100 HP performance and the +120 HP tunes, IIRC there wasn't much coal from the +100 hp tunes, but keep the smoke loaded for those pesky tailgaters around Suffolk & Norfolk.

Yes, some of the tunes have automatic downshifts as part of the programming.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Mazookie
Mountain Pass
I did notice some of the tunes were for a modified valve body which is really nice. I will mess around with different ones and see what I like the best. I know, it's nice there is the "Print Cal List" button. Just keep it in the truck for a quick reference guide.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
How much boost did you have? That is way to much smoke for a 80Hp tune. Most of PHP tunes don't smoke. It is fun to drive with a good chip, that's for sure.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Don't forget the vehicle security tune .....you probably already know about it but for others reading this thread that haven't:

correction: select the up button till you see NS in the display............(no need to download one like I posted initially)

Turn the vehicle off, remove the selector switch and stick it in your pocket. There's not starting the vehicle..............

You can do the same with the Valet tunes (or any other tune) that PHP offers, that way the vehicle speed is limited to the speed on the tune. When my daughter drives the Excursion - it's won't go over 45.....

Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
. When my daughter drives the Excursion - it's won't go over 45.....
But it sure can get there in a hurry....

(Or is it a minus 60hp tune )

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
But it sure can get there in a hurry....
It sure does.....

I better inquire about a -60 HP tune now that you say that JR! Heck it might just coast up to 55-60 in the right tune

I need to test this out tomorrow - my plan seems to have a flaw!

Quick Reply: Hydra Installed