RV Covers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
RV Covers

Maybe some fresh ideas here.
My experience with ADCO RV covers probably parallels many other folks. It is generally too big regardless of what the advertising says, easily tears and is only good for 2 and maybe if lucky 3 winters (my last barely made 3 with some Gorilla Tape holding it together). Doing a web search really only pulls up three, I believe, different manufacturer's. This includes a custom made Calmark and is very expensive. The other 2 being Adco and Classic (AMAZON & Walmart which has even poorer reviews). With the amount of lousy winter weather (snow, sleet and freezing rain) we have between Dec and April plus the fact that most trailers have a decal on the front that will 'die' without protection, believe it to be almost a necessity. I'm looking for a cover that will outlive the ADCO's, especially ,and while I don't expect one to be cheap, only a couple of years of life for 3-500 dollars hurts.

Any suggestions for maybe some other manufacturer or shop or do I just adjust my thinking and blow what's left of the coffee fund on a Calmark and hope.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard anything good about covers...

Is it possible to move to/build covered storage?

I found covered storage with power close to me for $65/month via google maps

but we are in TexUS and our needs are different !

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,129 Likes on 1,025 Posts
At this price and good reviews it may be a good compromise of getting a cover or renting a space. Less than a season of storage but if you get more than one season of use you are ahead.
Amazon.com: Komo Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer RV Cover, 23-26' (Waterproof): Automotive Amazon.com: Komo Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer RV Cover, 23-26' (Waterproof): Automotive

Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
wingedone
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
At this price and good reviews it may be a good compromise of getting a cover or renting a space. Less than a season of storage but if you get more than one season of use you are ahead.
I agree with this statement. We spend $360/winter for covered storage of our 5th. Been thinking about a cover. Even if we only get 2 winters for the same money, we are well ahead.

But after what the roof manufacturer said about covers, I am hesitant to go with a cover.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jdadamsjr
I've never heard anything good about covers...

Is it possible to move to/build covered storage?

I found covered storage with power close to me for $65/month via google maps

but we are in TexUS and our needs are different !
Unfortunately we have a big enough piece property for a building but it isn't level enough in the back, has a wet area plus has a bunch of huge oaks that drop bushels of big acorns. As far as off site storage - if it's close, it's outside and not really very secure, sooooo .... I try to at least cover it in the winter. I used to own a home in the boonies that had a 30x40 foot pole barn for our then 5er - but that is long gone from our ownership.

You in Tejas have lots more heat and sun for a lot longer which will fade pant and chalk gel coats - though I have seen snow, sleet and freezing rain along with major dust storms in my many 'visits' to different areas of your republic.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:47 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those aluminum car ports big enough to park a 5th wheel under are in the neighborhood of $1500 to $2000. That's three covers, or 4 winters in storage.

Just say'n...

Old 07-31-2014, 07:54 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Hi,

I just use a 20 by 30 Harbor Freight tarp. I think I paid $50 with a 20% off coupon. A pack of bungie cords. Wash the roof. Wash the sides. Winterize. Call it a winter. Even if you get 2 or 3 winters from the tarp.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FordmanNJ
Hi,

I just use a 20 by 30 Harbor Freight tarp. I think I paid $50 with a 20% off coupon. A pack of bungie cords. Wash the roof. Wash the sides. Winterize. Call it a winter. Even if you get 2 or 3 winters from the tarp.
This will work just fine and a way I did it on the two bumper pulls before the last 5er, a 34 footer. A single tarp will seldom cover the entire roof and sides of many of the current bunch of big 5th wheel trailers - our new one being 37 feet plus nose and tail end caps - or in excess of 50 feet. Even worse is our new one has a custom painted front cap instead of the normal plain gel coat. Those tarps and lashings can rub bare spots in the paint as they did on out last painted aluminum sided bumper pull.