Trailer Covers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Trailer Covers

Old 11-18-2018, 08:09 AM
kevin211
New User
kevin211 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Trailer Covers

Well pulled the trigger and bought our first used 5th wheel 2015 Forest River silver back 29IK, Does anyone cover their campers for the winter? Any brand better then the other, what about mold or smells.. Or do you guys not recommend covering

Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 AM
kgburns
Senior User
kgburns is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use an Adco cover with Tyvek on mine, been using it for about 6 years now. The 5er is just parked out in the weather and I wanted something to cover it with. So far I haven't noticed any mildew, molds or smells, probably because there are several vents in the cover. The Tyvek just covers the roof and comes down about a foot on each side to prevent water leaks.

I have had some holes wear through on the corners from wind blowing, but I sewed some stout canvas over them, no tearing since.

Found mine new on Craigslist for $125, new retail is about $400

Old 11-18-2018, 09:24 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Adco seems to be a popular brand at my storage lot. But there are a good number of trailers with covers that are in tatters. Bad quality or poor install? I don't know. The wind can get pretty bad along the Colorado front range. Be sure it is well secured. If there is a tie down grommet, make sure it is tied down.

Only about 1% of the trailers at my lot use a cover. I looked into one for mine before realizing that the cover would prevent the sun from getting to the solar panel.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:57 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
I may be off base here but folks are cheap they want excellent quality, great workmanship at a cheap price. I mean think about it when looking at thickness of the material and what material is being used. Then think about where are you going to be using it... outside? High winds? Snow sitting on it with high winds stressing material being stretched. Sharp edges in certain location being covered with the one size fits all in a certain x to x length.
"If" the roof is properly maintained, proper caulking around vents, lights and whatever else needs sealing, why cover it? If anything by a cover for the air conditioner, cover your tires.
If you're buying a cover you might have to spend a few bucks unless you come across the craigslist deal and remember it's just a consumable item needing replacement after a couple seasons.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:58 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
I may be off base here but folks are cheap they want excellent quality, great workmanship at a cheap price. I mean think about it when looking at thickness of the material and what material is being used. Then think about where are you going to be using it... outside? High winds? Snow sitting on it with high winds stressing material being stretched. Sharp edges in certain location being covered with the one size fits all in a certain x to x length.
"If" the roof is properly maintained, proper caulking around vents, lights and whatever else needs sealing, why cover it? If anything by a cover for the air conditioner, cover your tires.
If you're buying a cover you might have to spend a few bucks unless you come across the craigslist deal and remember it's just a consumable item needing replacement after a couple seasons.
Well said.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:18 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
If your unit has the stick on graphics, a cover greatly reduces the fade.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:53 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
If your unit has the stick on graphics, a cover greatly reduces the fade.
Very true.
So does waxing and/ or 303 Aerospace protectant.
It's a pick your poison level of elbow grease.

The decals being used now a days are thin cheap pieces of manure. Mine on the Cameo aren't so faded as they are cracked. The decision now is living with them, removing them and replace with better quality ($$$$) or just give it a full body paint ($$$$).

Covering your trailer will not save or protect the rig if it wasn't cared for from the beginning before covering it. What it will do is separate you from your hard earn money. ;(

Just my opinion.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:25 PM
VR4
Junior User
VR4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yeah, the only topic more controversial than "What is the best oil to use in my ..." is "Should I get a cover for the RV?" LOL.

FWIW, I had a cover for years on our old TT. We live in NH, on top of a windy hill. So, yes, the cover (Addco, with tyvec sides and a less porous top, forget what) saw some holes and tears as it got older. However, it kept weather and dirt and pine needles off the camper, and the camper looked pretty good for 14 years old when we sold it. Never had any problems with mold, mildew, odors or the like.

Just yesterday, we took delivery of a new Rockwood 5th wheel from a dealer down in MA. It will sit on his lot until Mar-Apr, and we took a cover with us when we went to look it over and pay. They are supposed to put the cover on once they move it to the back of the lot until next year... I hope they do. I like keeping the snow from direct contact with the trailer. Also, after even a season, you see all of the dirt that accumulates on the cover that would be on the trailer instead and it's surprising how much is there. Sure, you can wash the trailer... and I do... but, I'd still rather not have the dirt there to begin with. Personally, I also think that it does keep the sun from fading the panels and graphics too. But, that's just me.

I think that it comes down to, take care of your trailer. I think that how you do that is less important than just doing it, one way or another.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:55 PM
69cj
Post Fiend
69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
Very true.
So does waxing and/ or 303 Aerospace protectant.
It's a pick your poison level of elbow grease.

The decals being used now a days are thin cheap pieces of manure. Mine on the Cameo aren't so faded as they are cracked. The decision now is living with them, removing them and replace with better quality ($$$$) or just give it a full body paint ($$$$).

Covering your trailer will not save or protect the rig if it wasn't cared for from the beginning before covering it. What it will do is separate you from your hard earn money. ;(

Just my opinion.
RV's are designed to separate you from your money. Anyone that has one knows that.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:13 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
FORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputationFORDF250HDXLT has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 69cj View Post
RV's are designed to separate you from your money. Anyone that has one knows that.
I always thought that was the definition of: Wife.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:16 AM
'65Ford
Posting Guru
'65Ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I believe a cover can be a good idea if you really, really wrap it well so there is absolutely no flapping at all. I put an Adco on our fiver and followed instructions the best I could, but I used only the straps built into the cover. A month later all straps were broken and the cover was wrapped around the tripod under our hitch. As the cover was being torn off our camper, it did some minor damage. A close buddy of mine also had an Adco that flapped in such a way it damaged their camper's roof allowing rain into the wall which cost some big bucks to fix.

So yeah, they're okay but get some stretchy rope and wrap the heck out of them if you have any wind at all.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:47 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
I always thought that was the definition of: Wife.
Just curious... Does your wife read this forum?

Old 11-21-2018, 04:39 PM
kurthb
Senior User
kurthb is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the adco cover, fits my 5er like a glove, since it was right between 2 sizes I choose the smaller one so it fits a little snug and doesn't bellow on windy days. For me the top makes it very easy to push the snow off with a foam snow broom. Piece of mind that the camper won't leak during the winter, plus it keeps it squeaky clean.

Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
I have an Adco Expedition cover on my TT, will be covering here in a few weeks for the sixth year, the tyvek top cover is still in pretty good shape with only two small holes from the slide topper rollers. It has had one of the under belly straps break but otherwise stil a good cover. It has several vents near the top of the sidewalks to keep it well ventilated and dry and with all the straps snug it doesn't billow too much in the wind. I try to get a good coat of wax on the TT before covering it and I like having the fiberglass exterior, graphics and roof out of the direct sun for the Winter months, every little bit of preservation helps, we are planning to have this big TT for at least another five years, it's holding up very well so far.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM
69cj
Post Fiend
Between the summer sun here in S. Ca. and the winter Santa Ana winds, I get about 2 years out of a cover. The main problem is the 100 degree plus summer days baking the material till it's almost paper thin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.