1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

292 PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
292 PROBLEMS

Tried starting a new engine, 292, today. Flames shot out through the carb. Plan for tomorrow is pull the plugs, remove the valve covers, bring the engine up to TDC, check the valve lash on number 1, rotate the engine clockwise 1/4 of a turn to check cylinder # 5, and so on until done. Then try again! Any suggestions?

Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mgerdau
Tried starting a new engine, 292, today. Flames shot out through the carb. Plan for tomorrow is pull the plugs, remove the valve covers, bring the engine up to TDC, check the valve lash on number 1, rotate the engine clockwise 1/4 of a turn to check cylinder # 5, and so on until done. Then try again! Any suggestions?
Howdy,

Pull the timing cover and ensure that someone didn't time the cam like a Chev 350!

Then make sure you have some tappet gap!

Regards,

Rick
Timing gear installation. Some people try to align the timing marks on the gears toward each other as is common on newer engines. This is bound to happen more often now as the replacement timing chains no longer have the pins marked for correct alignment with the gears. The marks on the Y-Block timing gears aim toward the oil filter side with 12 pins between them.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Yep and the dampers are notorious for slipping off their clock (or index), so the timing may be way off.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-29-2014, 06:08 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 257 Likes on 161 Posts
First thing I would do is check the plug wires, firing order. If that is correct, then check valves and cam timing.
Edit: Consider who built this "New engine". Someone who knows their way around the Y block or some SBC or other builder? Unless the builder knows what he is doing, cam timing wise, he probably got it wrong, as mentioned. A direct question to the builder may reveal a lot.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 556 Likes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
First thing I would do is check the plug wires, firing order. If that is correct, then check valves and cam timing.
I agree with Ray. Bring number 1 (front cylinder on the passenger side) to TDC then pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the spark plug tower for number 1 cylinder. Then check firing order 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2 tuneup.htm

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 7590
Size:  19.5 KB

Here's a post on Backfire thru Carb.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...gh-carb-2.html

Keep us up on what you find.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:40 AM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Howdy,

Pull the timing cover and ensure that someone didn't time the cam like a Chev 350!

Then make sure you have some tappet gap!

Regards,

Rick
I purchased the long block from a reliable rebuilder. When I received the engine the marks on the cam and crank were pointing toward the oil filter side of the engine; from everything I read that's where they were suppose to be.

While I had the engine on the stand I adjusted the valves, by following the instructions in the book Ford Y-Blocks.

The first time I cranked the engine I had nothing although I had fire to the plugs. So I figured I had the distributor 180 out. I then moved the distributor and then re-adjusted the valves following the Ford Y-blocks book.

The next time I cranked the engine I had ignition in some cylinders. So I pulled the valve covers to re-check the valve lash. Some of the valves were so loose the push rods were no longer on the lifters.

So I went back to the repair manual, which is for a 239 up to 276 (I think) and check on how it suggested to set the valves. It said to bring it up to TDC, which I did, and then set the valve lash for #1 intake and exhaust, rotate the engine 1/4 of a turn clockwise and set the lash for #5 and then so on and so forth. After doing that I cranked the engine and had flames coming out of the carb. So I figure I have something wrong with an intake valve or my timing was right before I changed it just the valves were not adjusted correctly.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:01 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
I tried a bunch of different methods for setting the valves on my flathead, and the one that works best was to bring each valve to fully open, then spin the crank one full turn. It takes longer, but it absolutely guarantees that you are on the base circle for each valve. There was a significant difference compared to some methods that are quicker.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Trying to sort this out. Was the engine purchased as a long block (with heads) and if so, the valves should have been adjusted. I would ask the builder straight out, "How was the cam timed". Did you count links between gear marks?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:33 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by raytasch
Trying to sort this out. Was the engine purchased as a long block (with heads) and if so, the valves should have been adjusted. I would ask the builder straight out, "How was the cam timed". Did you count links between gear marks?
Ray, before I put the timing chain cover and water pump on I did count the links on the chain between the cam and crank marks.

It was purchased with the heads on; so I think I may have screwed up by checking the valve lash when I had it on the stand.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:45 PM
mgerdau
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I tried a bunch of different methods for setting the valves on my flathead, and the one that works best was to bring each valve to fully open, then spin the crank one full turn. It takes longer, but it absolutely guarantees that you are on the base circle for each valve. There was a significant difference compared to some methods that are quicker.
I'm going to try that. The manual I have said to bring it to TDC, adjust #1 intake and exhaust, then turn the engine until the rotor is at the next cyl in the firing order and adjust those valves and just keep going until you've adjusted all of the valves.

The book Ford Y-Block said to start @ TDC adjust the exhaust valves on #1, #4, & #5 cyl adjust intake valves #1, #2, & #7. Rotate the engine a 1/4 of a turn and then adjust exhaust valves #6 and #8, adjust intake valves #4 & #5. Rotate the engine another 1/4 of a turn and adjust exhaust valves #2, #3, & #7, and adjust intake valves #3, #6, & #8. But that obviously is too complicated for me.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 617 Likes on 383 Posts
Originally Posted by mgerdau

The book Ford Y-Block said to start @ TDC adjust the exhaust valves on #1, #4, & #5 cyl adjust intake valves #1, #2, & #7. Rotate the engine a 1/4 of a turn and then adjust exhaust valves #6 and #8, adjust intake valves #4 & #5. Rotate the engine another 1/4 of a turn and adjust exhaust valves #2, #3, & #7, and adjust intake valves #3, #6, & #8. But that obviously is too complicated for me.
There is a similar shortcut method for the flathead, and I've found it to produce poor results. see below. There's a wide range of rotation where the two valves listed are "open", just not accurate. I've got time to do it right.

Note that with the method I described earlier (the good way), it doesn't matter which way you rotate the crank. With all other methods, it matter that you turn it clockwise.

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
My view is don't make this any more complicated than it has to be. You'll want to re-adjust after run-in or break-in. From what you mentioned though, they are way too loose.

A simple method for adjusting valve lash with good results: Find TDC for the #1 cylinder. Adjust both valves by first tightening adjustment nut until they will barely spin with finger pressure. Tighten further 1/4 turn. Continue on in the firing order, adjusting both valves until done.

Next, make sure the rotor points to #1 tower at TDC, what made you think the dizzy was 180 degrees out?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Originally Posted by Tedster9
My view is don't make this any more complicated than it has to be. You'll want to re-adjust after run-in or break-in. From what you mentioned though, they are way too loose.

A simple method for adjusting valve lash with good results: Find TDC for the #1 cylinder. Adjust both valves by first tightening adjustment nut until they will barely spin with finger pressure. Tighten further 1/4 turn. Continue on in the firing order, adjusting both valves until done.

Next, make sure the rotor points to #1 tower at TDC, what made you think the dizzy was 180 degrees out?
We are talking about a Y block with mechanical lifters. That procedure will not work.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Damn, that's a shame!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 PM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the years I have found that if an engine is backfiring through the carb that is usually a timing issue. If the valves are close in adjustment then with correct timing it will run. As suggested put #! TDC and check the rotor position in the dist.

regards Bruce

Quick Reply: 292 PROBLEMS