Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

So conversions? What would be the easiest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So conversions? What would be the easiest?

Well guys,

I haven't been on here much lately. I haven't had many truck problems, aside from the crap radiators I bought, and I have been real busy. I have been keeping my eye out for an OBS crew cab 4x4 IDI auto, but it has proven to be harder to find than a unicorn with two peckers! Here is a question for all of the conversion veterans out there. What would be the easiest to do? Convert a gasser OBS crew cab to diesel?

For instance:

F350 FORD 4X4 CREW CAB

or

1994 FORD F350 CREW CAB

or

93 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4

Or use my 94 4x4 Supercab to convert a 2wd diesel to 4wd?

If I went with the gasser, I could use the motor and trans from my 94, or the motor from my 93 and find another E40D 4wd IDI trans which I see often, or just pick up something like this:

7.3 IDI Diesel & E40D Transmission

if it is from a 4wd.

I want a CC real bad, but I cant find an IDI.

Are there any other conversion options?

I know I can get an 8th gen and swap front clips, but I cant find one of those either.

Thanks,

Mac.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gas to diesel would be a PITA. Look for a stroker with a bad engine or trans or something.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With a donor right there all it should take is time, with the obs you have to change the fuel tanks and line, how would wiring a idi in place of a psd be any easier. with the assembly line the trucks are made to be interchangeable. it should bolt in.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:19 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't you have to have a diesel VIN to avoid major headaches with emissions testing in Colorado? I don't know, I'm asking. I would avoid stepping in that pile o' poo at all costs. Of course if is not an issue putting your '92 engine into this would be pretty cool...

1989 ford 4 door bronco

Old 07-11-2014, 07:40 AM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Of course if is not an issue putting your '92 engine into this would be pretty cool
You mean like this?

1991 Ford Centurion Bronco

Ford those pop up from time to time and most of them have IDI's in them. This one is pretty clean.

Don't you have to have a diesel VIN to avoid major headaches with emissions testing in Colorado?
Ford I have considered this, and would investigate before doing a conversion.

Look for a stroker with a bad engine or trans or something.
Hairy, I've been looking, but they are either not out there, or the owners still think they are made of gold! Wouldn't the electronics on a PSD cause me problems though?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:19 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Red454sedgwick
With a donor right there all it should take is time, with the obs you have to change the fuel tanks and line, how would wiring a idi in place of a psd be any easier. with the assembly line the trucks are made to be interchangeable. it should bolt in.
Seriously? You answered half your own question. On a gasser you would have to swap fuel lines, tanks, dash cluster and wiring, engine mounts and wiring. Gasser has a lighter frame (f250) and usually smaller u-joints.

Whereas a power stroke.... drop in IDI, pull out ecu and wiring.

How is that not easier?

Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Red454sedgwick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Seriously? You answered half your own question. On a gasser you would have to swap fuel lines, tanks, dash cluster and wiring, engine mounts and wiring. Gasser has a lighter frame (f250) and usually smaller u-joints.

Whereas a power stroke.... drop in IDI, pull out ecu and wiring.

How is that not easier?
the electronics in the cab are different, the psd is a fly by wire system, you have to take some of the dash apart to get everything right. A 460 truck should have the heavier drive train.
But my definition of a pita is when you have to fab and modify stuff. Where bolt in is just time consuming.

I don't know about emission's testing they don't require it out here, but my 93 is titled as a gasser with a diesel vin and nobody seemed to care.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
if you found a psd 4wd crew cab with a blown engine,you wouldn't downgrade to the idi imho lol.you would be better off just setting another psd in.i know there are fearful people in the idi world of electronics but the 7.3l psd's have proved themselves just as reliable as the idi's with more power right out of the gate to boot.
the crew cab 4wd setup is a pricey combo no matter how ya slice it anyway.
id go with the 460 4wd crew to idi swap.460 pigs are a dime a dozen now cus no one can afford to drive them anymore.sure it's some work,but it's not complicated and would make an enjoyable,affordable project.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:37 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
if you found a psd 4wd crew cab with a blown engine,you wouldn't downgrade to the idi imho lol.you would be better off just setting another psd in.i know there are fearful people in the idi world of electronics but the 7.3l psd's have proved themselves just as reliable as the idi's with more power right out of the gate to boot.
the crew cab 4wd setup is a pricey combo no matter how ya slice it anyway.
id go with the 460 4wd crew to idi swap.460 pigs are a dime a dozen now cus no one can afford to drive them anymore.sure it's some work,but it's not complicated and would make an enjoyable,affordable project.
I do agree with this for the most part. I wouldnt call swapping an idi in place of a powerstroke a downgrade... tossup maybe. Depends on what you want. Ill stick with IDI, the power thing isnt even an issue any turbo IDI can walk a GenI with ease after about an hour of adjustments, from there hp/$ is pretty even, with the advantage going to the IDI.