1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Beware AOD users.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware AOD users.

MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE TORQUE CONVERTER PROPERLY. It clicks down twice on the shafts.
On the weekend I was ready to fire up the 289 for the first time since it was rebuilt. I installed the headers and was putting the plugs into place. I had plugged the holes with paper towel plugs and one falls into the #2 cylinder. So I go to rotate the engine to bring the piston up so I can grab it and clunk... It only turns part way. I turn it back 1/2 a turn and clunk it stops again. What the..... It cant be the paper towel. Long story short I pull the motor and tranny. Split them apart and check the engine. It turns fine now. Grab the torque converter and clunk. Other way 1/2 turn and clunk. A quick search on the web says if you dont install the converter all the way you can damage the pump. I pull the pump apart and there it is. A broken pump gear. How you can break a gear thats 3/4" thick is beyond me but thats what it was. So. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL THE TORQUE CONVERTER PROPERLY. Long rant but I hope it saves someone else time and money.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Too bad on that one, you arent the first to have that happen.
Not just on the AOD, it can happen on any automatic trans. During converter installation you have to slowly spin the converter by hand with a little pressure until it seats into the pump, and sometimes you have to seat it two or more times to make it right..that is spin and push and the converter will slip in an inch or so, keep spinning and it will seat in again, and then again until it is fully seated. As a double check when installing the trans you should always be able to spin the converter by hand, even when the trans is fully bolted up. If the converter hits the flexplate before the trans is bolted up you will destroy the pump.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Another issue that a fellow club member ran into with his AOD conversion was the flex plate. The plate he was using did not allow the torque convertor to fully engage the front pump...when operated, the pump didn't pump and the trans burnt up. It took him a couple of transmissions before he found the problem. Nothing complex about these tranmission installation procedures, but you can really get bit if you don't follow them.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:00 AM
SCRAPHEAP51
Senior User
I Also stumbled by accident that I installed my torque converter wrong. Mounting it on the flywheel first. Rookie move on my part, realized it when I looked up how much oil to put in it, got lucky I don't think I hurt it. Will find out by the weekend when I fire it up. Good think to bring up Holehawgg, Thanks

Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 AM
TonyB55
Senior User
Interesting observation. I wonder if this is true for the AODE as well, because I just bolted mine together. I guess I could just take off the 4 converter bolts from below and see if the converter will spin freely on the flywheel pilot.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
I also tried installing the converter to the flywheel but didn't get far. It was the double seat thing that got me. I am used to the other guys tranny's that only seat once. I bit me in the butt this time and cost me money and time. But I learned something so I guess I can live with it.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
jred
Junior User
put the convertor in the trans first, kind of hold the convertor up with palm of your hand, and spin the convertor, it should go in 3 clicks on the splines and the pump.
also make sure that you put the plate between the engine and the transmission.
when the engine and the trans are bolted together make sure that there is about 1/8 in clearance between the flywheel and the convertor before you tighten the convertor bolts to the flywheel. this works on all auto transmissions that i have worked on hope this helps someone???

Old 07-11-2014, 01:03 AM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
All good info above .
And also NEVER use the bellhousing bolts to pull the motor and tranny together .
If they don't slip together onto the locating dowels there is something wrong .

Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Remi,
I'm sorry to hear about your AOD problems. Hmmmm...
I would add that you need to be real careful with the cable adjustment & make sure you stay within the pressure limits. Buy a pressure gauge.

We went through (2) AOD transmissions with our truck - Very painful lessons. It's a very unforgiving trans. We finally went to a shop that had some old guys who truly understood how to adjust these trans. Overdrive is nice.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)